View Full Version : Waterproof housing for GL1?

K. Forman
July 10th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Hello all-
I may be shooting an Indy film soon, and would likely need a waterproof/submersible housing for my GL1. Is there anyone in Fla (Preferably Central) that might loan me one for a short scene? I would be more than happy to give you credit. Thanks.

Jeff Farris
July 10th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Here's an option Keith:

http://www.gateshousings.com/rentals.html

Gates is very well respected in the UW world, and one of the few companies that offers rental gear.

K. Forman
July 10th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Thanks Jeff, but they don't cover the Gls, only XLs. Otherwise, a one day rental would work.

Jeff Farris
July 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Oops. Read too fast.

Want to borrow my XL-1?

K. Forman
July 10th, 2003, 02:45 PM
I would love to use an XL1 again. I dearly miss mine, but the GL is almost as good.

Adrian Douglas
July 10th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Try contacting Ikelite (http://www.ikelite.com/) and asking them.

K. Forman
July 10th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Adrian- Thanks for the link. They had housings for the GL2 that might work, but $1300 is out of my budget. This is why I was asking to borrow a housing, as I would only need it for one shot.

Joshua Robinson
July 12th, 2003, 10:10 PM
What sort of depth are you looking at going to?

If it's just above the water, or not very deep www.epiccam.com has a good, cheap option. I'm ordering one for tube shots in my wakeboarding movies.

Adrian Douglas
July 12th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Keith,

If you contact Ikelite and tell them what you are planning to do they might lend you a test model. Their housing is for the GL2 so maybe you can offer to test it to see if it works with your GL1. THe worst that could happen is they say no, but you don't know if you don't ask.

K. Forman
July 13th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Joshua- I actually won't be going under, just skimming along the surface. I'll check out your link.

Adrian- I guess I hadn't really considered them loaning me a $1300 housing an option. I guess I could try calling and see what happens.

Thanks again