View Full Version : zoom issue

Matt Bishop
April 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Is the zoom issue with the lens only when using (or bumping) the ring itself, or does this occur when using the zoom controls?

Does anyone have any footage of this problem so we can see what is actually happening? I'm reading a lot about it, just not sure if it's something that affect how I shoot or not.

Jim Pyle
April 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Only occurs when using (or bumping) the zoom ring or the post on the zoom ring when the Zoom Switch is in 'Servo' position. Does not occur when Zoom Switch is in Manual or when zooming the lens with either the Handle Zoom Switch or the Power Zoom Lever (which is what they call the primary zoom switch). This, at least, is what I'm experiencing on my Z7.

Matt Bishop
April 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
thanks! That makes the problem a little better as I never actually use the zoom ring. I do see how bumping it when going to focus could be a problem here and there but I don't think it will ever ruin a shot.

Marshall Levy
April 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
thanks! That makes the problem a little better as I never actually use the zoom ring. I do see how bumping it when going to focus could be a problem here and there but I don't think it will ever ruin a shot.

Perhaps not for your purposes, but when I do some high-end production work where certain shots need to be at certain distances, using zoom rockers just aren't reliable, and the ring itself is really the/my only proper method (at least for me, who knows). The problem with that and these cameras is that when going from one shot to the other there is no gradual movement and instead shows a 'jump' in the image for the 1/4" of play. I've got a huge music video shoot coming up and am not looking forward to some of the shots because of this.