View Full Version : Letus Ultimate

Dennis Joseph
April 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
What's the situation on the letus Ultimate? Will it finally be meant to work for 1/2 chip cameras?? I question the letus extreme and the rest of the 35mm adapters currently on the market besides the P+S Techniks' Pro 35 1/2.

Phil Bloom
April 14th, 2008, 06:55 AM
What do you mean Dennis? The extreme works so well with the EX1 with the new achromat. I have used the Ultimate on the EX1 and it was great.

Piotr Wozniacki
April 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM
What do you mean Dennis? The extreme works so well with the EX1 with the new achromat. I have used the Ultimate on the EX1 and it was great.

I don't know what Dennis means, but I am pissed off by both Sony's AND Letus' marketing strategy, Phil. I have spent a fortune on someting which is plagued by flaws, and...

...obsolete soon!

Steven Dempsey
April 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Letus doesn't have a "strategy" to do anything other than make their adapter work with as many cameras as possible. Your post suggests they are doing something deliberately unsavory when the complete opposite is true.

Dennis Joseph
April 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Letus doesn't have a "strategy" to do anything other than make their adapter work with as many cameras as possible. Your post suggests they are doing something deliberately unsavory when the complete opposite is true.

I never stated that they had a "strategy" or were doing something "deliberately unsavory" . If you go out and buy one for your 1/2 inch chip it's because you choose to do so. Do you think you can take that adapter and interchange it between a 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 chip camera and have all the results the same? There are some pieces of equipment that are "one size fits all" but I just question if this one is one of them. That's all.

I have seen some footage shot on the letus extreme that had some focus issues on the sides and then when asking this question to a professional at a camera dealer which I won't name, whether it is a good idea to put an adapter like the letus extreme on a 1/2 inch chip, he could not really answer me.

If I am wrong please do explain in full detail to me how an adapter like the letus or M2 are one size fits all.

Don't just tell me "your wrong and they work fine on all sizes" I want to know the lowdown just for educational purposes. :)

Steven Dempsey
April 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Dennis, I was referring to Piotr Wozniacki's post, not yours. I should have put quote from him to make that clear.

Sean Donnelly
April 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
The EX1 is far from obsolete. The EX3 is significantly more expensive, and has many features most EX1 users don't necessarily need (TC, Genlock, CCU port, etc.). Technology changes quickly, but the EX1 definitely still has a strong place in the lineup. From what I can tell the letus ultimate is the same sort of thing, a higher end model. I for one would love to have a lot of the features of the EX3, but the EX1 was (and still is) the right price for what I'm doing with it. There is not diabolical plot, no one is scamming you with inferior products, and I for one am happy that they are expanding the EX line. Sorry for the rant, but this is a subject I feel very strongly about. :)

-Sean

Sean Donnelly
April 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM
The reason an adapter will work regardless of chip size is the stock lens (or relay lens in the case of a Pro35). By framing up on the ground glass, you are balancing the equation. All that changes is for the different chip size is the focal length of the lens required to fill the imager with the ground glass from the adapter. With interchangeable lens cameras the adapter contains a specifically designed relay lens, which is usually designed to cover a specific sensor size. The letus achromat for the EX1 is added to help the lens ensure consistent focus across their ground glass, a difficult thing to do with a stock lens at that image size.

-Sean

Piotr Wozniacki
April 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Steven, I didn't imply any "deliberately unsavory" strategy at all. Also, having been in the hi-tech business for some 25 years now, I perfectly understand no investment in the newest technology can be bullet-proof.

Nevertheless, I feel - to say the least - very disappointed. I spent almost a year trying to convince myself (and many others) that what was considered the Sony's V1 PAL model "flaws" was not a flaw at all. Then, I sold it half-free to be on time on the tapeless-workflow wagon, and bought the EX1 (my story with the particular UK dealer deserves another couple-of-bears chat...).

Then - being sure I was lucky enough just beacuse my EX1 wasn't vignetting (sic !!!), I spent a fortune (to my standards) on the Letus Extreme, and got a unit plagued with all possible kinds of flaws.

And now, I learn all the short-comings of the EX1 to be rectified in the EX3 have been kept secret when I was investing in the EX1. Also, Letus seems to have been developing the new Ultimate model, while neglecting trying to make their Extreme trouble-free.

Well, I hope now your understand why I feel so low.

George Kroonder
April 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Don't feel too bad... Acording to Phil Blooms report n the ultimate it will be a lot more expensive and a 'spinner' (i.e. not a vibrating GG). The EX3 isn't even out yet and will cost more as well.

Something that could be an advantage is being able to mount a 35mm adapter straight on the EX or B4 mount, but such options are even further away and would also need a (small?) lens between the GG and the EX, so I don't expect that to be a 'cheap' option.

I believe with the EX1 and Letus you can shoot footage that is on par fully with the EX3.

I see the EX3 as great for multicam, (live) broadcast/studio and traditional ENG work. And that is not to say that you can't do any of that with an EX1, it's just that the 3 interfaces better in such situation. But then again that will cost you.

George/

Dennis Joseph
April 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Can someone please answer my last question? I'm just trying to get a detailed explanation about how 35mm adapters can fit on all size chip cameras and look perfect.

Steven Thomas
April 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM
And now, I learn all the short-comings of the EX1 to be rectified in the EX3 have been kept secret when I was investing in the EX1. Also, Letus seems to have been developing the new Ultimate model, while neglecting trying to make their Extreme trouble-free.

Well, I hope now your understand why I feel so low.

Piotr,
Myself, I'm not really having an issue.
It's looking like the EX3 is close to twice the price of the EX1.

Also, just like the EX1, you will still need to buy all the same extras for the EX3, memory, batteries, reader,ect... Also, I imagine one main reason (of course) to own the EX3 over the EX1 would be the possibility of fitting other lenses. This brings the price far beyond an EX1 price point.

If I had the option today to buy the EX1 at $6.5K or the EX3 at $12K, I'd go with the EX1 for sure. Also considering it takes the same quality footage.

Having said that, I wish Sony would get the EX1 issues worked out.
I'm on my second camera which is now at their service center.
All I want is a working EX1.
I'm hoping Sony offers a downloadable software upgrade for end users with a disclaimer to upgrade at your own risk. I know they are swamped with EX1 repairs.

Phil Bloom
April 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I don't know what Dennis means, but I am pissed off by both Sony's AND Letus' marketing strategy, Phil. I have spent a fortune on someting which is plagued by flaws, and...

...obsolete soon!

That is the silliest thing i have heard today, although I have just got up mind!

Come on Piotr. Neither the Extreme or the EX1 are obsolete or will be for some time.

In my review I clearly state the EX1 is still an amazing camera and I will continue to use it for many years I am sure. The Extreme too is wonderful. Look at my drama Confession, shot of those two. Wait till you see my Death Valley short shot on those two.

You have two incredible tools, stop complaining about them being replaced...they haven't, just two additions in the line up, and get out there and shoot some lovely pictures for us all to see!!!

Dennis Joseph
April 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Piotr,
Myself, I'm not really having an issue.
It's looking like the EX3 is close to twice the price of the EX1.

Also, just like the EX1, you will still need to buy all the same extras for the EX3, memory, batteries, reader,ect... Also, I imagine one main reason (of course) to own the EX3 over the EX1 would be the possibility of fitting other lenses. This brings the price far beyond an EX1 price point.

If I had the option today to buy the EX1 at $6.5K or the EX3 at $12K, I'd go with the EX1 for sure. Also considering it takes the same quality footage.

Having said that, I wish Sony would get the EX1 issues worked out.
I'm on my scecond camera which is now at their service center.
All I want is a working EX1.
I'm hoping Sony offers a downloadable software upgrade for end users with a disclaimer to upgrade at your own risk. I know they are swamped with EX1 repairs.

Steven, that was very well put. You are having a simple case of "wanting what you can't have" syndrome. I bet any money that if the EX-1 and EX-3 both came out on the same day, over 70% of the folks who bought the EX-1 now would have still gone for the EX-1 for the price. I don;t think that all these folks would have waited for the EX-3 which will be price around 11-13k to purchase it as they would have gone for the RED or maybe even the F-350.

Once you start piling all the equipment and lenses with the EX-3 it easily becomes a 20k camera.

Phil Bloom
April 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Can someone please answer my last question? I'm just trying to get a detailed explanation about how 35mm adapters can fit on all size chip cameras and look perfect.

they can't! it takes work to get the adaptors to work with them.

Eric Pascarelli
April 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Dennis,

It's like taking your camcorder to the movie theater and perfectly framing up the screen. Any camcorder, when shooting a film at the movie theater, will be able to capture the image "perfectly" with the original depth of field of the 35mm motion picture camera (used to shoot the movie) intact.

A 35mm adapter creates an image in front of the lens that is "rephotographed" by the video camera. As long as your camera can photograph that image, it will look fine.

There is a groundglass in there which is essentially a rear screen for projection of the image that is rephotographed.

In practice, 35mm adapters have some tricks to allow camcorders to photograph such a small object at a 35mm groundglass uniformly in focus. But in theory, the above paragraph is how it works.

Also, the groundglass inside the adapter moves quickly (spins or vibrates) to prevent your camera from seeing the granularity of the groundglass.

Piotr Wozniacki
April 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM
In my review I clearly state the EX1 is still an amazing camera and I will continue to use it for many years I am sure.

Sure thing, Phil, it *IS* amazing. Just like my old, good V1E has been.

However, you seem to be forgetting that you have been one of the very few to get the EX1 (two of them, actually) that don't exhibit any of the flaws that - while the other adopters were using their time, money and patience to come to terms with - have in the meantime been *SILENTLY* addressed by Sony, preparing the EX3.

And this is the *ONLY* thing that causes my frustration; other than that I know better than complain that mine is not the "best camera" under the Sun.

So maybe it sounds silly to you, because - as you have stated - you are *JUST* going to sell one of your *AMAZING* EX1's and buy the EX3; it's an issue to me, though.

Phil Bloom
April 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM
one of my ex1s does exhibit minor vignetting in certain conditions but I have never sent it in to be fixed as it was so minor and you had to do certain things to make it happen.

Steve Cahill
April 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Here are some pics with Ian and Quen teaming up with Philip Bloom and Steve from Zacuto @ NAB today with the new Letus Ultimate with back focus adjustment. Same form factor as the Letus Extreme, Philip was very impressed with the new adapter, and has already shot some items with it. To be posted by Philip.

I was impressed with the back focus adjustment, very nice feature you just unscrew 2 screws and turn to get the back focus adjusted, very smooth.

The Ultimate was set up on a HVX 200 and the image it produced was very very SHARP. Philip will report further on his experience with the EX1. At the moment there was not a EX1 to mount it on. Philip has used it on the EX1 with outstanding results.

The unit it self uses the same housing as the Extreme, except for the backfocus adjustment, it looks much the same.

Steve Cahill
April 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM
More Pics. Philip and Ian meet Mr. Barry Green

Phil Bloom
April 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Met loads of people i know from forums etc including Steve today. Highlight of NAB for me!

Sean Donnelly
April 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Dennis, if my explanation wasn't clear enough, I think Eric's was. If his wasn't, please let us know and I'd be happy to break it down farther.

-Sean

Nathaniel Hansen
April 14th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Saw the ultimate at the Zacuto booth today...what's the ETA on being able to purchase one of those bad boys?

Phil, you still headed to Red Rock during your stay?

Phil Bloom
April 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hi Nathaniel,

I was loathed to give up the Ultimate today, I am grabbing it back on Wednesday to get some shots of the city. I went to Redrock with Hien and the Ultimate on Saturday. Footage looks great.

You should come along if you are free

Phil

Nathaniel Hansen
April 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Would love to Phil, keep me posted on when you're thinking of going - If it's in the morning, pretty much any time before 2pm, I'm available. My afternoons are booked up.

Phil Bloom
April 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM
sorry it's definitely the afternoon and evening. Need the transition from bright sun to bright lights of the city

Nathaniel Hansen
April 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
No worries, I figured as much - Vegas at dusk is a lot more interesting than Vegas at noon :) When do you leave town? If you want some grittier (is that a word?) looking stuff, you might try near Fremont street - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Street_Experience - sorry for hijacking this thread guys lol, but "dusk" here is probably from 6-8, so I would love to meet up with you Phil around 7 somewhere. you did fly across the pond, the least I could do is drive 20 minutes to down town.

Phil Bloom
April 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM
yeah was there last night but security is high and you need a $500 filming permit for it!

Steve Harryman
April 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Wondering if you know of any adapters for the EX1 or EX3 that will accept Nikon lenses, but without the glass. Reason is that I'm interested in shooting wildlife and have enjoyed the 7.2x field-of-view/mag.ratio with my JVC HD-100 1/3" in the past (Les Boscher adapter). I was hoping for the increased mag. ratio that 1/2" would have with the EX1 or EX3. I know I won't gain the DOF benefit with adapters like the Letus, however I'm looking more for the increased mag. ratio . I see that Century Optics makes a Sony 1/2" bayonet mount lens adapter for Nikon lenses--I'm wondering if that mount would fit the EX3. Thanks for your input.

Steve Harryman

Robb Cox
April 15th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I may have missed it, but has anyone mentioned a price for the new Letus?

Thanks

Ray Bell
April 15th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Think I saw a price of $4500

Pavlos Symeon
April 15th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Provided that I am flying to New York in a couple of weeks I would like to know what is the equipment needed to fit the Letus Extreme on to the EX1 (rode support system, lens mounts, threads etc.)
Is it worth it (pice-wise, quality-wise) to get the Letus kits (and what that should include)
What kind of matte-box would work both on the Letus and straight on the camera lens?

Robb Cox
April 15th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Think I saw a price of $4500

Whoa... :|

Dean Harrington
April 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM
That puts it in the same price range as the Movie tube Jr. and that's a static screen adaptor ... better by far if successful than a moving screen.

Piotr Wozniacki
April 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM
That puts it in the same price range as the Movie tube Jr. and that's a static screen adaptor ... better by far if successful than a moving screen.

Where can I find some reading about the Ultimate? TIA!

Phil Bloom
April 15th, 2008, 10:05 AM

saw the movietube jr yesterday. noisy image and really bad bokeh, which they readily admitted to me.

the price of the ultimate hasn't been set as far as i know. its all speculation

Phil Bloom
April 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Where can I find some reading about the Ultimate? TIA!

currently in threads on DVinfo, oh and my blog a little bit. I hope to get some footage up soon

Nathaniel Hansen
April 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.letusdirect.com/letus-ultimate.html

No mention of price that I can find anywhere except here on Steven Dempsey's blog: http://pinelakefilms.blogspot.com/2008/04/sneak-peak-at-ultimate-35mm-adapter.html

If that's even remotely true ($4500) I've just been scared off for a long while.

... tick tock tick tock ...

Ok, so it appears the $4500 is bang on. What a wonder the phone can be. I decided to call over to Oregon at Letus HQ :) and confirmed that the unit would be available in a couple weeks for $4500. Obviously no plans to discontinue the Extreme, their bread and butter model, so there will still be a "Letus for the rest-of-us."

Oyvind Stokkan
April 16th, 2008, 02:32 AM
FreshDV has a podcast on the Letus Ultimat with Hien from Letus!
Great stuff..

The Ultimate really is the Ultimate adaptor.. Have GOT to get this at work for the upcoming PDW-700 we're getting. The Ultimate will also be available with a B4 relay lens to put it directly on the B4 mounts.. How cool is that!

for 4500$ this is the killer of all adapters!

Robb Cox
April 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM
for 4500$ this is the killer of all adapters!

For that coin it would want to be...

Steven Dempsey
April 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM
"Letus for the rest-of-us."

Ah, the good old Seinfeld days :)

Sean Donnelly
April 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM
For that coin it would want to be...

$4500 is still pretty reasonable in terms of adapters. That's half of the movietube LT, and a third of the movietube ST or mini35.

Robb Cox
April 16th, 2008, 09:20 AM
$4500 is still pretty reasonable in terms of adapters. That's half of the movietube LT, and a third of the movietube ST or mini35.

And nearly 4x the Extreme...

Sami Sanpakkila
April 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
3000 for scarlet and 4500 for letus ultimate, im thinking thats my next setup in 2009 :) thats the price of just my EX1 alone!

sami

Nathaniel Hansen
April 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Ah, the good old Seinfeld days :)

Nothing quite like a good Seinfeld episode - glad someone caught it :)

Aaron Pinto
April 16th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Nothing quite like a good Seinfeld episode - glad someone caught it :)

"Letus for the rest-of-us." may have to be the new official tagline for the Extreme :)