View Full Version : Limit to 1.5Gb/s Operation vs. 3 Gb/s Operation

Renat Zarbailov
April 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I just noticed on the top of the drives that there's a jumper setting for either 1.5 or 3 Gb/s operation. The setting is the way it came, 1.5. Is there any reason why I shouldn't remove the jumper so it will operate faster? I am just about to setup RAID0 using two 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 drives (ST3500320AS). The final 1TB will be used for editing HD video. The OS I will be using is Win XP Pro SP2 X64 edition with 4GB RAM on an ASUS P5K Premium motherboard and Q6600 quad processor.
Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Stavar
April 17th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I just noticed on the top of the drives that there's a jumper setting for either 1.5 or 3 Gb/s operation. The setting is the way it came, 1.5. Is there any reason why I shouldn't remove the jumper so it will operate faster? I am just about to setup RAID0 using two 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 drives (ST3500320AS). The final 1TB will be used for editing HD video. The OS I will be using is Win XP Pro SP2 X64 edition with 4GB RAM on an ASUS P5K Premium motherboard and Q6600 quad processor.
Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks

That jumper setting is for use on older motherboards that only supported SATA I. The P5K will be SATA II for sure.

marks

Renat Zarbailov
April 17th, 2008, 08:40 AM
That jumper setting is for use on older motherboards that only supported SATA I. The P5K will be SATA II for sure.

marks

Thanks Mark! Now the only issue is to be able to pull this jumper out. :)
Seagate made sure the jumper sits inside forever or something...

Renat Zarbailov
April 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I wonder if pulling this jumper out on a drive that has data on it and operated in 1.5Gb mode for couple of years will corrupt the data in it. I am hooking this drive to Asus P5K Premium motherboard which does support 3Gb SATA.
Can anyone advice anything?

Thanks so much!

Chris Soucy
April 28th, 2008, 02:58 PM
The drive will either work or it won't, pulling the jumper won't affect anything on the disc itself.

All it's changeing is the interface speed - go for it!

CS

Renat Zarbailov
April 28th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The drive will either work or it won't, pulling the jumper won't affect anything on the disc itself.

All it's changeing is the interface speed - go for it!

CS

Thanks Chris!
Now I have more confidence to do it... :)