View Full Version : How is TV show Medium recorded to get that sound?

Jack Walker
May 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
The TV show _Medium_ has a very closed-in, dead, non-reverb, etc. sound. Even though I don't like this, this is obviously done for the effect (along with the semi-whispered spoken dialog, etc. etc.).

How is the show recorded to get this. It seems to be done on a sound stage, so there would be very little room ambience I guess. But beyond that, what kind of mics are used, how would they be placed, and what kind of post-processing would be done?

Thanks for any insight.

Abe Dolinger
May 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
No idea if this is accurate, but I'd guess - from the way other TV is recorded and from your description - that everyone is lav'd and little to no sound design is done in post. Probably Sanken COS-11s and Lectro 411s.

Ty Ford
May 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
The TV show _Medium_ has a very closed-in, dead, non-reverb, etc. sound. Even though I don't like this, this is obviously done for the effect (along with the semi-whispered spoken dialog, etc. etc.).

How is the show recorded to get this. It seems to be done on a sound stage, so there would be very little room ambience I guess. But beyond that, what kind of mics are used, how would they be placed, and what kind of post-processing would be done?

Thanks for any insight.

trick the rooms out. close mic. pay attention to keeping ambient sound down.

regards,

ty ford