View Full Version : DR-HD100 - files in QT or m2t ?

Claude Mangold
May 18th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Hi,

In your experience, which format gives better results in film-style post work with FCP ?

As a director, what I like a lot with QT is that I can view the takes quickly on my 17"powerbook after a scene is completed and view them as dailies without any further processing on a macpro and HDready beamer at the end of the workday.

Another question: is it better to re-format the disc drive at the end of each day ? I've only done it when it's over 60% full so far.

There always is a tape in the camera, for back-up. And of course, back-up drives on location and in studio.

Thanks

Sean Adair
May 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hi Claude,
QT clip mode is essential for FCP post from the DR-HD100. There is no "quality" difference, QT is just a "wrapper" for the mpg2 file which allows quicktime to work with it easily. There is no advantage in keeping the file m2t that I know of.

Reformatting the drive on the DR-HD100 instead of merely erasing the files always makes sense. Simply cleaner and more secure. If you have enough space to continue without erasing files, that's fine too.

I don't use drive backup on location, even though we are often in a controlled studio much of time. It's highly unlikely the DR-HD100 will lose files after they are captured. It is however good policy to be checking that the files DID get recorded to the drive, since when synchro recording to tape, it is possible to not notice if something causes the drive to not trigger capture (changing scene file, cable disconnect etc). Copying the files does give you the security of seeing your files are all there, but this can be done without copying too.

Claude Mangold
May 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Many thanks, Sean, all perfectly clear now !

Tucker Wright
May 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hi,

In your experience, which format gives better results in film-style post work with FCP ?

As a director, what I like a lot with QT is that I can view the takes quickly on my 17"powerbook after a scene is completed and view them as dailies without any further processing on a macpro and HDready beamer at the end of the workday.

Another question: is it better to re-format the disc drive at the end of each day ? I've only done it when it's over 60% full so far.

There always is a tape in the camera, for back-up. And of course, back-up drives on location and in studio.

Thanks

I'm curious how you are able to view the QT clips without processing. I'm shooting on a JVC 110 to an DR-100 and when I try to view a clip QT opens the file and plays the clip but the screen is white throughout the entire clip.

Can't figure out why this is happening.

Claude Mangold
May 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Tucker, you need a series of plugins. i believe they all come with fcp, but you can also install them separately. trouble is, I don't know what the're called. best to ask your vendor. or maybe someone here knows.

beu do get them by all means, I think it's one of the greatest advantages for a filmmaker to view his takes as easily as that.

Alex Humphrey
May 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM
hmmm got the current quicktime or quicktime pro?

Claude Mangold
May 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I was told that this doesn't matter. I have QT pro but the plugins are not in the pro package

Sean Adair
May 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM
quicktime pro isn't needed, but an extension called the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component - $20 (kind of annoying)
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/
Installs with the FCP studio package.

However, there are free utilities that will playback the files fine.
on a mac:
Mpeg Streamclip
M-player
VLC
come to mind

Justin Ferar
May 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM
This is the first I have ever heard of this little QT add on.

Does this mean one can now import M2T files into FCP? Or is this just a QT viewer thing.

Claude Mangold
May 20th, 2008, 01:17 AM
On my mac VLC doesn't work for viewing the HD QT files. I have VLC 0.8.4