View Full Version : xlr & internal mic question

Suzanne Zorich
May 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has figured out a shortcut when using the XLR imput (Lav mic), back to the internal mic, instead of having to quickly go through the menu options when I need to be capturing video? Or perhaps did anyone figure out how to override the "can't" use both the XLR & internal at the same time?
; )
Thanks!

Peter Jefferson
May 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Best option for that is to use a 3.5mm plug on your lav's and jack into the stereo mic input (under the internal mic) and just unplug when you want to switch from Lav to internal omni's.

Tripp Woelfel
May 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
I wish you luck. There are scads of people both here and elsewhere who've been trying to accomplish that. I've not seen a shortcut... and I've been looking.

There's no doubt that using the XLR input and internal mic simultaneously would be lovely. It seems the only way to get input from both sources is buy one of the new XLs.

Suzanne Zorich
May 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
yep, so it seems. <sigh>

Bill Pryor
May 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
I run a wireless lav (Sennheiser G2) into channel 1, and the receiver stays mounted on the hot shoe all the time. Into channel 2 I run a short shotgun mic which stays mounted all the time also, for getting ambient sound. The short shotgun replaces the internal mic, so I never have to go into the menu. Lots of people are buying the Røde for this purpose. I use an old Sony because I had it already. When I want to shoot an interview with the shotgun, I just pull it off the camera and mount it on a fishpole.