View Full Version : A1 and Audio

Nagisa Kodama
May 24th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I have a Rode NTG-2 and my shockmount broke so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about what replacement I should get. Also, I'm hoping on buying a good windscreen for it also, so I'd love to have imput on that also.

Thanks!

Nate Haustein
May 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I would think you could get a replacement mic holder from Canon, I got a new lens cap for my A1. Call them up and have them transfer you to the correct department. As for the windscreen, I have a Rode Deadcat, and have used a Rycote Softie on an NTG2 - overall the Deadcat helps, but its design still leaves something to be desired as the the back does not seal tightly against the mic as the Rycote does. If you have the cash, upgrade to a better option, but for $30 the deadcat works pretty well.

Nagisa Kodama
May 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
How much wind does it cut?
For a previous shoot, I used a friend's windscreen but the wind was still clearly audible.

Luc De Wandel
May 25th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I have a Rycote Softie for the NTG2, and it does not perform any better than the homemade softie my wife made out of an old fur. In fact, it still allows a lot of wind noise to get to the mic from - say- 4 bft on. So no good for some of my shootings that have to do with boating.

Richard Gooderick
May 25th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Luc says that he is filming in a force 4 and above and getting noise even though he is using a softie.
I don't think that a softie is designed to work in that windstrength.
You need to use one of these:
http://www.posthorn.com/Rycote_2.html
Obviously, you can't mount it on the camera.

Luc De Wandel
May 25th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Luc says that he is filming in a force 4 and above and getting noise even though he is using a softie.
I don't think that a softie is designed to work in that windstrength.
You need to use one of these:
http://www.posthorn.com/Rycote_2.html
Obviously, you can't mount it on the camera.

Thanks for the advice, Richard. Fantastic Frog Party, by the way. More quiet waters than what I'm used to...

Tripp Woelfel
May 25th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Which shock mount broke? The Canon on-board or the Rode unit? My Rode shock mount just broke last night and I was going to contact B&H to work a warranty replacement. In examining the failure, I just don't think the thing is made all that well.

Also, the stock Canon mic mounting position leaves the mic so far forward that some of the dead cat fur is visible in fully zoomed out shots. As a result, a hot shoe mount for the mic is required.

Nagisa Kodama
May 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
the shock mount that broke was the rode one.
and regarding the windshields, how are one of these? (i've never used them or seen them used so I don't know of their effectiveness)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292349-REG/Lightwave_MS108_Miniscreen.html

I was shooting at a decently windy marina a few weeks ago with a softie and the wind was clearly audible. Even inland exterior, the wind was far more obvious that i'd expect with using a shield...