Oleg Kalyan
May 30th, 2008, 02:31 PM
http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/OlyaDima600340.mov

Please share the comments if you have any,
would be glad to hear what you think

Cheers.

Osmany Tellez
May 31st, 2008, 09:17 AM
ok, I'm no expert here but I give you my opinion.

you'r work is very high quality, no doubt. you have a lot of beautiful stuff in there. If I had to give a critique it'll be that there is almost too much in there, too complicated all the time. maybe mixing with other qualities will be nice. It reminded it me to a 3 ring circus, everything is amazing but too much all at once. Hey, this is only if I had to find a thing to improve...otherwise I'll give a 10...high quility stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Oleg Kalyan
May 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Osmany, thank you.
You are right, maybe it's too much, yet it is a clip, sort of a music video, so I wanted it to be more intense, than long form wedding film for the couple, still I wanted it to be very poetic.

I really think that the sensual part was not weakened by the editing, the continuity of emotions was primary subject for me!

Could I manage to convey sincerity of the couple that what matters, I think!
Editing stuff can be an eye candy, that the audience likes in a trailer, music video. (I believe)

Oleg Kalyan
May 31st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Sorry about the off topic,

I didn't know what is "3 RING CIRCUS", never seen it,
http://www.3ringcircus.tv/showreel.php

I take it as a compliment, well I guess the intensity of editing
is a contemporary way of communicating visual language!

Again, just hope that it doesn't destroy the sincerity of the couple.

Vito DeFilippo
May 31st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hi Oleg,

As mentioned, there's lots of great stuff in there. You shoot beautifully, with great ideas.

Still, I would just use one song. I hate the artificial fade out in the middle just to use a second song. Tighten your edit to fit one song in my opinion.

Your shots are beautiful, except that I find you use too many with the fisheye lens. It's fun for an effect here and there, but you use it a lot.

I can't imagine how much time you spent on the opening, with all the picture in picture, etc.. I liked it a lot, but could never put the time in to something like that. Great work.

Noa Put
June 1st, 2008, 03:23 AM
Loved the image quality as well, you had a lot of different good shots to use in the edit, do you work alone or with more camera operators?

I only have 2 "complaints";
The music didn't fit well, especially with the first part, I think a more up tempo song would be better. You had a quite fast edit there and this should be matched to a song that as a quicker beat. Now it just didn't "feel" right if you know what I mean.
Second I have the same comment as said here before, in the beginning with all the effects (which were very good executed) I often didn't know where to look first, each time I thought I saw something nice it was already gone. :)

Oleg Kalyan
June 1st, 2008, 04:24 AM
"each time I thought I saw something nice it was already gone. :)"

Noa, thanks!
Sorry about that, wanted to keep the pace quite high... about the music,
you probably right, although editing (fast paced) was "countered", balanced imo, by relatively mellow song.

Vito, thank you, I use two or more different songs for a trailer/clip on purpose, change of mood, pace, making a conclusion, that is the structure reason.

I guess its more of a trailer thing than a clip.

Finn Nielsen
June 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hello Oleg.

I really like your video. I think it's super.

How longe time do you use to make such video incl. editing?

Greeting from Denmark.

Oleg Kalyan
June 1st, 2008, 04:43 PM
Finn, Appreciate!
The clip is a part of a 60 min. wedding film, I give to the client,
in addition to that I edit a 3 to 4 min clip/trailer, so it's about 5 hours of editing labor in addition to a 4 to 5 days to complete 60 min. wedding film, if it's shot on one camera.

On this particular wedding I worked alone, no assistant, no second camera,
I rotated two different cameras.

John Moon
June 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Oleg...I really liked it. It's your style. I think I would echo the comment from Vito about fading the song out BUT...if you had the Bride or Groom give you some voice over to help make the transition to change the pace or feel I think the fade out would have been fine. Still...very nice work.

Oleg Kalyan
June 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
John, Thanks a lot!,
next time I think how to mix up two songs, this clip is kind of long isn't it,
VO could be a choice as you suggested. Will keep on working!

Osmany Tellez
June 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Sorry about the off topic,

I didn't know what is "3 RING CIRCUS", never seen it,
http://www.3ringcircus.tv/showreel.php

I take it as a compliment, well I guess the intensity of editing
is a contemporary way of communicating visual language!

Again, just hope that it doesn't destroy the sincerity of the couple.

Hey Oleg. I was away doing some other stuff and didn't see your post.

I was talking about ringling and Bros.. http://www.ringling.com/explore/...

it's an amazing, high level show..they have used 3 rings instead of tradicially 1 ring, everything that happens is great, its just that for some people like me sometimes is too much to take in all at once. Still it is an amazing show.

Anyways, your vid is great, for sure I hope I can do some of the cool stuff you have there, I was just trying to give some feed back as A viewer hoping it'll be more helpful than just saying how good you are....and you are.

I'll definetly keep looking at your vid for inspiration..

Thanks a lot.

OT

Travis Cossel
June 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
From a technical perspective I think your video stands up well.

From a stylistic perspective ...

I found the first part of the edit to be distracting with all of the various effects. I really felt like I was watching an effects show more than a video about 2 people in love. In terms of your skill and dedication, it was impressive, but it felt disconnected from the couple for me.

The pace of the editing also didn't seem to fit the music. I know you said you felt the edit and music were balanced because they were so different from each other, but I disagree. It just didn't work for me.

Although using 2 songs didn't really bother me, I do think you could have gone with one song and been more selective in your shots and had a much stronger video.

Impressive editing and good shot compositions, but some things just didn't work for me. Thanks for sharing!

Oleg Kalyan
June 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Travis, thank you,
I guess this clip was like going for "more is more" principle, which is a fine line and may not work most of the time.

The couple and their emotions are primary in making a clip, one thing I try to conquer is a "pattern" in style of shooting and editing.

Appreciate the comment!

Carl Wilky
June 4th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I agree with Vito and pretty much everyone else here. I understand what you were traying to acheive... the music video effect but the speed of the video doesn't match the speed of the song in my opinion.

The other thing you want to do is leave the viewers wanting more, i would've had left less images with the couple and substitute it with b-roll footage.

Oleg, what camera do you use and what brand of fisheye do you have?

Oleg Kalyan
June 5th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Carl, thank you!
I used (for this wedding shoot) Canon A1 as main camera, and Canon HV20 as secondary, with semi fish eye wide adapter by Raynox. HV20 shot progressively.

Dror Levi
June 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hi there.
You know I considered your latest video clips to be one of the best one I have seen here.
I think you are very talented and I love the way you put your videos together.
This video is kinda confusing as far as were you going with it.
I don’t think the music fits the video as well I think there is not enough of close-ups like you usually do.
Last, I think there is too much of camera movement, it is ok to have steady shot as well.
I did not mean to sound harsh with my title but seeing your previous video clips made me think you can do much better.
I would love to see your future movies.
Again, I think you do an amazing video clips.

Andy Mace
June 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Hi Oleg, I just came across your post and have to say I like your work very much. It does seem a little busy but that's the effect you're going for and you've done a great job. My only complaint is the music. The fade is very disruptive and the pieces do not complement one another. Other than that, I say keep up the good work! Andy

Oleg Kalyan
June 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Dror and Andy

Appreciate your comments, compliments,
I will keep on working on improving my wedding videos,

I may tighten up this one as well.

Thanks again!

Chris P. Jones
June 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM
what did the clients think? what do other clients think when you show them this clip?

jones

Oleg Kalyan
June 10th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Chris, thanks for asking,
this clip is a part of a Wedding Film, the clients may not even show the clip, skip, it's in DVD menu.

Usually the clients go for my creative ideas in editing, shooting.

Consider, it's done in a short period of time o wedding day and they get something artistic in addition to more documentary storytelling of their wedding day video.

Do you have a comment?

Chris P. Jones
June 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
this clip is a part of a Wedding Film, the clients may not even show the clip, skip, it's in DVD menu.

I see, so this is something outside the main documentation of the day. Something different and shorter to show off your editing skills.

Do you have a comment?

My comment is just more questions, and along the lines of business rather than artistic.

While most may give you a critique on your editing techniques (which are rather fancy indeed - well done!), as I become an old fogey (another term for you to research :->), I tend to want producers to focus back on their clients and what sells their work to clients.

Is it editing techniques (client likes it because it is fancy), delivery time (client likes it because it is delivered quickly), quantity (client likes it because it is a mountain of footage or because it is short and sweet)?

I would guess that you enjoy editing this type of piece as it gives you a chance to show off more of your talent. What part of your talent, though, sells? Will the client be just as happy and give you referrals if this piece weren't included?

jones

Oleg Kalyan
June 11th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Chris,
I think the clients like most of what we as a wedding videographers/producers give to them... in simple documentary form or more creative dynamic style editing, some colleagues use stedicam, some use mini 35mm adapter...some use crane...

there is no direct need in diversity of styles and tools, as I mentioned probably most of the clients will be happy with well shot video of their wedding day without fancy stuff...

the need to look for a new way/style is in creative process itself,

in "art" there is no place for repetition, a pattern, as soon as it's obvious, it's not an art anymore, so my idea is to bring something different every time to "a client",
I realize that in essence what we do is not art form but rather repetitive patterns of
shooting/editing within restricted confines of a wedding day,

still, every time we do a wedding video, there is a chance to give to a piece a little of your artistic vision, although limited, yet, there is a place to look for novelty.
that's how I see it,

Chris P. Jones
June 13th, 2008, 05:40 PM
in "art" there is no place for repetition, a pattern, as soon as it's obvious, it's not an art anymore,

I never studied art, so that's an interesting philosophy. I have never heard it put that way before.

Are you saying for the pursuit to be remain art that it doesn't matter so much that there is a pattern, but that that pattern not be recognizable?

For example, J.S. Bach's Inventions to my ear sound like art, but they are based on well calculated patterns and progressions. Are they art to my untrained ear but not to someone who detects the pattern?

so my idea is to bring something different every time to "a client"

I look forward to seeing more! You are the Rachmaninoff of wedding video!

jones

Travis Cossel
June 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM
in "art" there is no place for repetition, a pattern, as soon as it's obvious, it's not an art anymore

Yeaaah, I don't think I can agree with that. Then again, the debate on "what is" and "what isn't" art isn't something I want to get into because it's usually a pretty circular argument based solely on an various individuals' opinions.

Oleg Kalyan
June 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
ОК, lets leave "what is art" aside, although I think few of us see what we do just as a
pattern based activity in making videos.

"J.S. Bach's Inventions to my ear sound like art, but they are based on well calculated patterns and progressions."
I think Bach in his Inventions "invented" : ), calculated many new musical forms, so did Mozart and probably every other great composer, musician
Novelty that's what we are talking about! Calculating novelty is a must, it's done through senses, reason, inspiration....

"A wedding" is a predictable event, with little variation in story/script, still what most of us videographers do, is present it using our personal vision in shooting and editing, in choice of a music, style, etc.

I'd like to compare ( in a sense of making) wedding videos to movies, every time an audience want to see, experience emotions and that's what drives to go to theaters, to see often same story told through new visuals, yet having meaningful/strong emotional experience.

What drives limited audience to watch wedding video again and again? The universal metaphor of couple relationship, that what makes a private wedding to be of interest to many people beyond the couple, their friends and relatives,
Authenticity of emotions attracts, and predictability of form reduces the interest.

In wedding videos IMO, we have to follow the criteria of creating a meaningful emotional experience and keep it in interesting for and eye in ever evolving form of storytelling...

Just some random thoughts on philosophy of making a wedding video!

(To also clarify it to myself)

Travis Cossel
June 14th, 2008, 11:59 AM
"A wedding" is a predictable event, with little variation in story/script, still what most of us videographers do, is present it using our personal vision in shooting and editing, in choice of a music, style, etc.

Anyone who thinks a wedding is a "predictable event" hasn't shot enough weddings. Just kidding. d;-) Actually, there is some definite truth to that. Even though weddings typically have traditions that are similar from one to another, I've never really felt that a wedding was "predictable". Part of the stress and challenge of a wedding is it's "unpredictableness".

Okay, now to really address this quote. I think the biggest problem with videographers today is that they actually believe this part: "little variation in story/script". Although specific events and traditions might be similar from wedding to wedding, I think the best videographers are the one's that figure out how to tell the story behind THAT COUPLE through those events and traditions. I think most videographers tell the overlying story of what happened, but don't really take the time and energy to get into the underlying story of how it happened FOR THE COUPLE.

Seun Osewa
June 15th, 2008, 02:45 AM
There's just one problem with your excellent video, and that one problem is responsible for all the complaints on this thread. The editing is fast and the music is slow. Your video is basically perfect. All you need to do is look for some fast, heavy, (but romantic) rock music to match it.

Oleg Kalyan
June 15th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Travis, thank you!
I share a lot of what you write, that a healthy discussion indeed,
Getting into as you put it "how it happened FOR THE COUPLE", I find very intriguing and fascinating for videographers and in this sense "Directors", we look for a "Context" within
predictable "Text" of a wedding.

Seun, thank you, I may change the song or cut this promo to one song as suggested,
when I have time, worst, I will keep all the comments for future work considerations!

Colin McDonald
June 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
ОК, lets leave "what is art" aside, although I think few of us see what we do just as a
pattern based activity in making videos.

"J.S. Bach's Inventions to my ear sound like art, but they are based on well calculated patterns and progressions."
I think Bach in his Inventions "invented" : ), calculated many new musical forms, so did Mozart and probably every other great composer, musician

Bach's 2 and 3 part Inventions are simple binary form (so no new "form" as such) but it is what Bach does with and within that structure that sets him apart from the many others who use the same basic plan. A bit like your take on a wedding....

(snip)

I'd like to compare ( in a sense of making) wedding videos to movies, every time an audience want to see, experience emotions and that's what drives to go to theaters, to see often same story told through new visuals, yet having meaningful/strong emotional experience.

What drives limited audience to watch wedding video again and again? The universal metaphor of couple relationship, that what makes a private wedding to be of interest to many people beyond the couple, their friends and relatives,
Authenticity of emotions attracts, and predictability of form reduces the interest.

Perhaps this is why so many of us enjoy watching your videos ( apart from the magnificent technique).

Oleg Kalyan
June 16th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Interesting to know that J.S.Bach spent most of his life as a church organist and a choir director!

Colin, thank you for nice words, comparing, but I'd have to say, J.S.Bach is a genius, I'm just a videographer, the level of related invention is incomparable!
J.S.Bach's figure will stay forever, that's the nature of the music that he left, for all humankind,
we, videographers leave an event record with possible personal touch, for couples and their relatives!