View Full Version : Waterproof solution for kayaking with EX1?

Buck Forester
May 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Howdy. I just got my EX1 and I'm pretty excited about getting out and using it. I will be creating wilderness adventure footage and a lot of my stuff will be shot with some sort of waterproof housing, for conditions such as tour kayaking, shallow underwater river shots, blustering windy/sandy extreme conditions on the coast, etc. I won't be doing any diving or anything requiring more than a couple feet of depth protection.

The Ewa-Marine bags look ideal, but I will need to mount the housing on a tripod most of the time. Can I do this with the Ewa-Marine? I have not seen one other than the photos on their site, and I couldn't find any information on their site about tripod mounts.

If not, any other recommendations? I'd hate to spend a gazillion dollars on a full diving waterproof housing, which can easily cost as much as the EX1 and more. And I'm not even sure those have tripod mounts? I will be mounting this on the deck of my kayak. Is there a solution I might not know about? I'm just asking for advice if anyone has been in this situation or knows about something.

Gracias!

Mick Haensler
May 31st, 2008, 07:24 AM
I feel your pain. On the one hand you have what looks like an $800 ziplock baggie that your supposed to trust with your prescious wonderful new camera. On the other is a housing that is obviously superior but costs as much as the camera. Here's what I would do.

Buy the baggie but also buy a smaller handycam and housing for the hardcore stuff like strapping on a kayak in class V whitewater. The other advantages to this is you can focus on your safety not the camera's safety in a critical situation. Imagine being in a comprimising situation and all you can think about is what's happening with your camera.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media