View Full Version : ProType Titler

Norris Combs
May 31st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Media Generators---ProType Titler---Near Baseline---Collections---Slide

I want to have some texts going across the screen during the video. This text line will appear on the screen from left to right, in a "slide", which is what Vegas calls the roller coaster motion. From reading the "Help" area in Vegas, I need to set keyframes to achieve this effect. However, on the Media Generators window, there are supposed to be some diamond-shaped icons (keyframes) at the Automation Controller/Timeline. I don't see any such icons.

Thanks,

Edward Troxel
May 31st, 2008, 07:06 PM
The protype titler is totally different from all the other media generator - including the timeline at the bottom. If all you want is sliding text like a news ticker, the standard text generated media can handle that fine with two keyframes. Just set the first one with the text slightly off the right edge and the second keyframe with the text slightly off the left edge.

The protype titler can also easily handle this. The steps are slightly different but the theory is the same. You'll have a keyframable effect on the timeline and set the first position off the right and second position off the left.

Step by step:

1. Add a protype text generator to the timeline.

2. Double-click in the main window and type in your text and press ESC

3. Move the text to the area of the screen where you wish it to scroll. Position left/right is not critical at this time.

4. Under the "Transform" tab to the left you'll see Center, Rotation, Offset, X, Y, etc... Click on the @ beside the "X".

5. Now adjust the "X" setting so that the text is just off the right edge.

6. In the timeline area there is now an "X" row with a line going across. You now need to add a second point on that line on the right side of the timeline. You can do this by double-clicking the line.

7. Now change the "X" setting so that the text is just off the left edge of the screen.

You can now play it back to see the text scroll.

Norris Combs
May 31st, 2008, 10:16 PM
Thank you very much!

Norris Combs
June 2nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
There's a small problem. My main video is on Track 1, associated audio on Track 2, this rolling text clip is on Track 3. When I play everything back, the text does roll, but it's behind the main video, thus not visible on the screen. What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Renton Maclachlan
June 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Move your text track up and make it track 1. Higher tracks are stacked above lower tracks

Norris Combs
June 3rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Move your text track up and make it track 1. Higher tracks are stacked above lower tracks

Ah I see. What's the easiest way to move the text track from #3 to #1? Track 1, with almost 100 video clips on it, is quite long. Do I select all of the clips and move them down as one big unit (hold down left mouse button and drag)?

Thanks,

Seth Bloombaum
June 3rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
Ah I see. What's the easiest way to move the text track from #3 to #1? Track 1, with almost 100 video clips on it, is quite long. Do I select all of the clips and move them down as one big unit (hold down left mouse button and drag)?

Thanks,

Create the new track, select all the clips, and use numpad 8 and 2 to move the clips while maintaining sync.

Paul Kellett
June 3rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
Just click and drag the text track header up to the top so it becomes track number 1.
The video track with the 100 clips will then be pushed down and become track 2.

Paul.

Renton Maclachlan
June 3rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Apologies for not mentioning how to move the track...

Edward Troxel
June 3rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Yes, tracks are very easy to move. You just need to make sure you click on a BLANK area of the track header. Then it can be moved anywhere you want.

When looking at your tracks. pretend your at the top of the screen looking downward. That is how the video will be seen.