View Full Version : EX3 $8320 at B&H

Phil Bloom
June 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563219-REG/Sony_PMW_EX3_PMW_EX3_XDCAM_EX_HD_CAMCORDER.html

makes the UK price really suck!

Steve Shovlar
June 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Quite simple Phil. Jump on a plane. I went over to New York before Christmas and spent the best part of a day in B&H. The savings are huge, even when you add on the compulsory tax of just over 8%. I flew out BA, stayed at a very nice hotel and got the tube in. Three days cost me £400, and you can take the camera out to play in Times Square!

Phil Bloom
June 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
it's just the whole warranty thing. Only one year and have to send it back to USA each time it goes wrong. The 2 year silver support in Europe is so good. Not worth over £2k though

Steve Shovlar
June 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM
True enough but the saving outweighs the warranty on this occassion. That price quaoted by B&H is cheaper than the EX1 is over here.

Phil Bloom
June 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
it certainly is tempting...

It's just with the ex1 issues I don't want to be sending it back there constantly for fixes.

I buy a lot of stuff from b and h. In fact just bought a litepanel mini from them as it is so much cheaper than over here.

I wish Sony had a worldwide warranty

George Kroonder
June 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
makes the UK price really suck!

Yeah, but we knew that all along... That's just Euro pricing.

George/

P.S. I had calculated up to $ 9k for the US streetprice, so maybe there is some downward potential on the UK/Euro pricing still...

Jason Bodnar
June 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Less than 2000.00 USD difference between EX1 and EX3...HMMM

Phil Bloom
June 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
we were expecting US street price of 10k

this makes the camera a steal

UK price is about $14k

Tony LeHoven
June 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Does this price include the lens? It's hard to tell from the B&H site.
-Tony

Phil Bloom
June 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
it isn't been sold without it so it must be

Tim Polster
June 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
This pricing makes a lot of sense.

Too much beyond the $8,000-$9,000 mark and the HPX-500 starts to get the nod.

With the EX-3 at this price, the choice is a lot tougher as you get a lens with the EX-3.

Barry J. Anwender
June 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Totally unexpected, $4K below Canada's price. I want one now!

Hopefully Sony will get their tools together for the EX1 firmware upgrade to be done by the end user. Therefore paving the way for EX3 user firmware upgrades.

How the heck does one pre-order from a US supplier??

Leonard Levy
June 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
This is great news but it also implies that Sony's earlier statements about the price may have been "a trifle less than forthcoming" and designed to keep people buying the Ex-1 as long as they could. Every argument against the Ex-3 had to do with a $13,000 price tag. At $8K I'm ready.

I wouldn't worry about the price differential between the US and Canada and UK. Unless this is typical for Sony, I would just assume that the price info is new and in flux. if the B&H price holds I'm sure that it will be similar elsewhere. Sony is a big company and doesn't need to cut special deals with B&H or favor its US dealers.

Altogether I guess its good news if I can sell my EX-1 for a decent price.

Lenny Levy

Tim Polster
June 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Am I correct in thinking this price is with the lens?

I seem to remember somebody from Sony saying in a NAB interview/video that the EX-3 would not be offerent without a lens?

David Chia
June 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
get a mack warranty and get it fixed locally and save you that problem

Dean Harrington
June 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
The price is right!

Barry J. Weckesser
June 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM
This is great news but it also implies that Sony's earlier statements about the price may have been "a trifle less than forthcoming" and designed to keep people buying the Ex-1 as long as they could. Every argument against the Ex-3 had to do with a $13,000 price tag. At $8K I'm ready.
Lenny Levy

Would it stand to reason that the price for the EX1 may drop a bit in the next few months?

Leonard Levy
June 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this was without any cards though, which would make the price closer to $9000 compared to an Ex-1 with 2 - 8G cards.

Philip. any idea about the hard disk? Have you tested that yet and when it will be available, price, etc?

Lenny Levy

Greg Boston
June 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
any idea about the hard disk? Have you tested that yet and when it will be available, price, etc?

We had the hard disk units in the booth at NAB. Works like a charm. Sony had not set pricing on that unit as of NAB.

Also, FWIW, I believe Sony got the message on the $13K price tag. The issue was raised by many, including myself.

-gb-

John Peterson
June 9th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Maybe they will also get the message regarding the outrageous price of the SxS cards.

John

Dale Stoltzfus
June 9th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Wow - so much for $13K! I really think that, if this price holds, it will drive used EX1 prices down, at least for a little bit while people are getting rid of EX1's in favor of the EX3. Nice work, Sony!

Oh, and the expensive SxS cards? Seems to me to be a good argument for going with the Flash XDR or nanoFlash.

Monday Isa
June 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I'll be glad to buy a used ex1 located in the US to help someone transition to a ex3. Let me know

Monday

Brian Rhodes
June 9th, 2008, 08:08 AM
We had the hard disk units in the booth at NAB. Works like a charm. Sony had not set pricing on that unit as of NAB.

Also, FWIW, I believe Sony got the message on the $13K price tag. The issue was raised by many, including myself.

-gb-

I talked to one of the reps @ NAB he said the hard disc unit would be around $1000.00 US.

George Kroonder
June 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I talked to one of the reps @ NAB he said the hard disc unit would be around $1000.00 US.

At the current NAB to Real Life exchange rate that would be (8320:13000)x$1,000 = $ 640. ;-)

George/

Paul Chiu
June 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
if the EX3 was first thought to be $13,000 or even $11,500, then at $8,300, that's 72% of list, which makes little sense as the EX1 is about 85% of list selling now at 6449.

either sony lowered the prices for the EX3 or a markdown of the EX1 is in order. at the same 72%, then EX1 may soon sells for 5400 in the US

paul

Tim Polster
June 9th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Maybe the HPX-500 rebate put some pricing pressure on the market.

Leonard Levy
June 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM
My dealer in San Rafael CA, Snader & Assoc., put the price exactly the same as B&H $8230 and said that Sony had told them late July.
I'm happy that includes at least 1 8G card.

Jae Staats
June 10th, 2008, 12:58 AM
All I can say is, "WOW!" I was close to ordering the new Canon XL H1a as I am someone who wants a shoulder-cam so that ruled out the EX1 and I thought the EX3 was out too because of the $13k price tag, but this new info is great news indeed.

Kudos to Sony!