View Full Version : HVX200 overheating?

William Hohauser
June 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I am working with a client's HVX200 and have encountered a strange problem. As the shoot goes on, all the controls on the top of the camera (menu, volume, etc.) stop functioning. The camera works and I'm able to record, control the lens, exposure and all other important functions. Twice the camera refused to turn off, I had to disconnect the battery.

Has anyone had this problem? I am not familiar with this camera and a search on this forum didn't reveal any similar posts. What the client would like to know is if this is a progressing problem that will eventually completely disable the camera and ruin his shooting schedule or can he wait for a month before taking it to the repair shop.

Robert Lane
June 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Assuming it's still under warranty send it in to Panny repair; the 200 is one of the most ruggedized cameras out there and considering the harsh environments it's been used for pro purposes (everything from the Gobi desert to -40 below in Alaska) this shouldn't be happening.

Andrew Hoffman
June 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Hello Mr. Hohauser,

This has been a problem that our Authorized Service Center has seen on multiple occasions. The problem is a combination of some ribbon cables that are shorting out due to the insulation wearing off and making contact to the chassis. The other part is the rubber that the button pad (Cursers, Play, Stop, FF, REW etc...) malfunctions so the part is replaced with a new lighter weight rubber. If all the parts are in stock, the repair can be done between 3-5 days.

The symptoms that you have described have been about as bad as the problem has gotten so if you can work around it until you can get it repaired, then you should be fine.

Best regards,

Andrew Hoffman
Vice President
Specialized Communications Corp.
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
800-359-1858 (US)
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
andrewh@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com