View Full Version : Ultra-mobile P2 workflow

Peter Richardson
June 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Hey guys,

I am trying to devise the most light-weight, fastest, Mac-based, and mobile P2 workflow. Here's what I've come up with:

MacBook Air running P2 Genie and the Panasonic P2 software
2 x G-Raid Mini or G-Drive mini (250B, 500GB, or 1TB versions) with triple interface
1 x 5-slot P2 card reader

I think that the G-Raids and P2 card reader can all be daisy-chained on USB. If memory serves Panasonic doesn't guarantee USB on the Mac, though, so that might be an issue. I know I could go the PC route with a PCMCIA slot, but I want the multi-slot capability of the P2 card reader.

What's the consensus on this setup? Alternately, I could get a P2 gear and copy directly to hard drives. However, it doesn't seem the P2 Gear will support AVC-Intra, and I plan on getting a Varicam 2700 when it comes out. Additionally, I don't think I could daisy-chain hard drives with the P2 Gear like I could with the laptop, therefore necessitating copying all the footage shot for the day twice for redundancy. Anyway, curious to hear thoughts on this setup.

Thanks!

Peter

Nick Harris
June 23rd, 2008, 04:06 AM
I would suggest ditching the Air. You might as well spend your money on a system you can trust to edit your material. I'd suggest you get a macbook or macbook pro. The air is for writers and photographers IMHO.

Peter Richardson
June 24th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Yeah, I have a MacBook Pro already, which works great. I'm looking for a lighter, smaller solution that I could rent out to clients, mostly. I think a MacBook might be the way to go.

Peter