View Full Version : What does the half moon mean after files is transferred?

Mike Quick
July 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I looked all over this forum and I'm not sure if this has been discussed. I am transferring some footage from my 8gig P2 card. It transfers eveything fine(I get a full blue circle next to the file) until I get to some timelapse(interval) stuff I shot as well as other footage that comes after it (recorded at 30fps and 24 fps). It gives me a half moon by the imported footage. What does that mean? The files that play fine all get a full moon beside the video file. The timelpase stuff plays back fine, but everything else that was shot at other frame rates plays back strobelike, or stuttering. I checked it out on the camera to see if it was corrupt or needed to be repaired and everything(even playback) is fine. So the issues lie somewhere in the transfer. I tried removing the pulldown, that only made matters worse. I tried changing the default codecs, same problem. So I threw away my project and then just tried to transfer the files individually. Same issue as before(strobelike or stuttering). I then checked out the clip properties and saw that the clips were set to 720p 59.94. I'm not sure why it did that. The only thing I can think of is that the camera defaulted to that after I switched back from the interval setting. So now my question is this. How can I (if at all) get the transfer to accept my footage (the stuff that comes after the timelapse) and have it not play back stuttering? And what does the half moon mean and how can I address that?

Robert Lane
July 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Transfers - how? With what software, into what NLE? Where is this "half-moon" icon found? Some background info is required. Have you tried looking at the users-guide for whatever application you're using to do the transfers?

Mike Quick
July 7th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Oh right, DUH!. I'm editing in FCP 6.0.4. And when you do the log and transfer, after the file is finished loading-by the file in the footage window(on the left side), the circle by the file goes from a hollow blue circle to a solid blue circle. With these files, that don't play right, there is only a half circle- I guess meaning it's not fully loaded. From the literature I have there isn't any mention of this.

Joe Lawry
July 7th, 2008, 11:39 PM
A Half circle usually means for me that i've marked in's and out's on that clip and have no imported the whole clip, hence half a circle.

Carole Holli
July 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Means there's a problem with the ingestion (which you of course know) The only way I found to fix the problem was to buy another program called the P2 log pro (actually I got the HD log pro instead. but at any rate, I went directly to the file, opened it with the hdlog pro and then exported it as a quicktime and it was fine. for some reason it happens every now and again. I am still on final cut 5. something or other. I suppose If you don't want to spend the money, you can try going to a friend who has FC and re-ingesting it. But it seems to me that once the final cut has brought it in, no matter if you delete the file and re-ingest it, its still messed up.

Carole

Carole Holli
July 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM
http://www.imagineproducts.com/P2log.htm

you can download the demo and I believe it will let you choose a file to import and export. It just wont let you do batch exports. (but you need to read the literature)

The full program lets you do batch exports.

hope this helps,
Carole