View Full Version : HELP: Is Cineform similar to ProRez 422

Paul Cox
July 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I am fairly new at this HDV game so please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area.
I have been doing a lot of reading and I am in the middle of a platform decision MAC/FCP or PC/Vegas.
My question is , If I captue in FCP with Prores 422 would I still need to use cineform? I know that cineform works great on a vegas platform and have also read that people are using it on a mac, just wondering what advantages there would be to using cineform on mac when Prores 422 is supposed to be amazing with HDV files, some clarification on the subject would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

paul Cox

David Newman
July 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
If you only want to use files on a Mac, only share products with other FCS 2 users, and 4:2:2 only is not a limitation, then ProRES works fine. CineForm offers more format chooses (4:2:2, 4:4:4, 4:4:4:4 and RAW), and many more platforms/NLEs. CineForm is better for collaborative workflows and film finishing, but ProRES is a good solution for Mac FCS2 users.

Paul Cox
July 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Ok Great Thanks David, I guess I have much more to learn, so many variables and choices
Phew my brain hurts.
David I have a question, if I purchase NEO do I get a licencse for both Formats, Mac And PC.

Thanks
Paul Cox

David Newman
July 18th, 2008, 07:16 PM
for NEO HD and NEO 4K, yes.