View Full Version : Shooting guidelines

Neil Kissoon
July 30th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Hey guys does any have any shoot guidelines or aspect ratio mask I can put over my LCD screen or any website I can find one. I'm shooting 4:3 but to transfer to film for a 1:85:1 composition.
Thanks
Neil

Stephen van Vuuren
July 30th, 2003, 03:10 PM
You can easily measure one by outputting to tape a long scene with the mask in place. Playback on LCD and measure a frame (stencils etc.) to contruct a mask of choice.

I'm not aware of one pre-made for the DVX100.

Rob Lohman
July 30th, 2003, 03:22 PM
1.85:1 is pretty close to 16:9 so that might work as well. If you want
I can give you exact pixel counts for a mask.

Neil Kissoon
July 31st, 2003, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll take a pixel count Rob for sure, I do appreciate that. Also Stephen thanks, I gonna try that, I'm just little scared of mucking up the screen, what if I outputed it on a monitor, but masked before say using a dvd I have in 1:85:1 like say Batman or Bad Boys. Thanks Guys!
Neil

Alex Knappenberger
July 31st, 2003, 06:53 AM
Yeah, the easiest way is just to output the 1:85:1 bars, and a white mid-section to your camera, and get some electrical tape and mask it off on the LCD. Electrical tape isn't very sticky, so it won't hurt the LCD or anything.

Josh Frye
July 31st, 2003, 06:57 AM
I don't know if Id use tape directly on an LCD screen... I've seen electrical tape gunk up real nicely, especially in hot weather, or if left on too long. Maybe using a clear gel, and then taping the corners down would be better. Just a thought...

Rob Lohman
July 31st, 2003, 08:59 AM
For a 1.85 mask NTSC my program calculates:

picture height: 350 pixels
bar height: 65 pixels (of each black bar)

Neil Kissoon
July 31st, 2003, 09:02 AM
I hope all these posts helps anybody interested in this, thanks a lot to To everybody and Rob for the pixel count.
Nei