View Full Version : How do you pronouce "AIFF"?

Joe Redifer
March 13th, 2002, 09:15 PM
We all know how to pronounce "WAV" (wave) but what about AIFF? It takes too damn long to say each letter individually. If I want to say to someone "Just send the file to me as an uncompressed AIFF" how will it sound? I've always said "If" totally ignoring the "A". But when I say that people have no clue what I am talking about. The morons who invented this format could have come up with a better name. :)

Ken Tanaka
March 13th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Good question. On the rare instances when I've had to verbally pronounce it I've always said "AFE" with a long "a".

Vic Owen
March 13th, 2002, 09:58 PM
From AFE it's not much of a leap to ARF, but then we'd all be barking up the wrong tree!

(Sorry....)

Chris Hurd
March 13th, 2002, 10:07 PM
If you ask me, it's like a pirate saying "aye" -- with a long I. Instead of "aye matey" it's "aiff matey." Just my own spin on it is all.

How about "GIF," now there's a controversy. I firmly stand by the "hard G" version, since the G in GIF stands for Graphic and Graphic is pronounced with a hard G. Besides, there's already a "JIFF" format, albeit little known and lesser used.

Casey Visco
March 13th, 2002, 11:35 PM
hm, well i'm from new england, and around here you'll find a lot of us inadvertantly say "a-yuh", when we mean to say "uh huh"...so my pronounciation is more along those lines, "a-iff"

John Locke
March 14th, 2002, 07:42 PM
I tend to pronounce AIFF as "FAY"...but I'm a tad dislexic.

Ed Smith
March 15th, 2002, 03:33 PM
What about *BMP. I normally say, "Bump", but do you say Bitmap or something else?

What about *AVI. Do you pronounce each letter A.V.I, or say something different?

What about Codec. Do you pronounce it with an 'e' or with an 'i', Cod-e-c or Cod-i-c?

Thought I will add a few more;+)

Chris Hurd
March 15th, 2002, 03:45 PM
I usually say "bitmap," "A-V-I" and "co-deck."

Dan C.
March 15th, 2002, 05:08 PM
I say "B-M-P" for *.BMP
"aveee" for *.AVI
and "co-deck" for Codec

Bruce Findleton
March 15th, 2002, 09:48 PM
"Bump"? Ed, you limeys kill me ;)

On this side of the pond all I've heard is "bitmap", "A-V-I" and "co-deck". ("Cod-i-c"? The implications are too traumatizing to even contemplate for all us red blooded, butch, Uh-merican males though the fem videographers out there may sing another tune)

As for "AIFF" I've got to agree with Ken: I very rarely hear it and go phonetic when the need arises; "AFE".

Cheers,

Bruce

John Locke
March 16th, 2002, 02:18 AM
LOL :0

Bruce...you win the award for the funniest signature I've ever seen.