View Full Version : Zooming into Video Clip in AVCHD Post-Recording Editing

Mike Rosenblatt
July 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM
In Adobe Premiere Elements, during editing I was able to zoom in on SD clips of a soccer game to create a DVD of highlights of a game when the master video was taken from a fairly wide perspective, but with significant loss of image quality. I have started using a Canon Vixia-100, with the idea that, given the marked increase in image information in ACVHD, I should be able to zoom in on ACVHD video images without as much loss of image quality. The image quality is great, but I am editing with Pinnacle Studio Plus 11 and can't find a similar feature in this software to zoom in on a clip and capture only part of the image. Is there a way to do this in Pinnacle or can someone recommend a different software package that will allow me to zoom and capture within a clip? Thanks. ( I originally posted this in the Post-Production section but I think it belongs here).

Phil Seastrand
July 20th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I don't know about Studio 11, but Studio 12 has a Pan and Zoom plugin that should do what you want.

Mike Rosenblatt
July 21st, 2008, 11:23 AM
I thought that this feature was for the Ken Burns effect on stills.

Phil Seastrand
July 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
I thought that this feature was for the Ken Burns effect on stills.

Maybe, but it's also available for a video clip. I haven't tried it, but it's there so I assume it works.

Tony Spring
July 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM
I use the Pan/Crop feature in Vegas to zoom in on AVCHD footage. We use unmanned Sony SR11s on our wedding shoots and they often need a bit of cropping. I find dropping a very light sharpen filter on the footage helps to keep the resolution after cropping.