View Full Version : cable and network camera formats

Ralph McCloud
July 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Is there a site that lists what formats and acceptable cameras the various cable and broadcast networks require?

If not, perhaps you might share any knowledge you have about acceptable cameras/formats for specific companies.

Rick L. Allen
July 24th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Ralph, You're chasing a moving target here but here's the best I can do at the moment;

CBS & Turner/CNN are moving to XDCAM HD (CBS wants the 700 used in the future), ABC is implementing some XDCAM but is also using Panasonic 720P, NBC who knows. But even within networks there is no standard and for now BetaSP & Digibeta are still being used. The cable networks use everything. XDCAM HD does seem to be gaining traction because of the ease of handing over media to a producer and not having expensive P2 cards. All of them require cameras that can do 4:3 & 16:9 at the moment.

Ralph McCloud
July 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Ralph, You're chasing a moving target here but here's the best I can do at the moment;

CBS & Turner/CNN are moving to XDCAM HD (CBS wants the 700 used in the future), ABC is implementing some XDCAM but is also using Panasonic 720P, NBC who knows. But even within networks there is no standard and for now BetaSP & Digibeta are still being used. The cable networks use everything. XDCAM HD does seem to be gaining traction because of the ease of handing over media to a producer and not having expensive P2 cards. All of them require cameras that can do 4:3 & 16:9 at the moment.

Rick,
Appreciate your input! I'm trying to figure out the best camera solution for ENG news and live shots.