View Full Version : Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL X

Pages : [1] 2

Kevin Railsback
August 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Woke up this morning to dreary skies. Didn't see the point in traveling 2.5 hours one way to visit an area I've never been before with uncertain skies, so I decided to stay closer to home.

Headed out to some tallgrass prairie in a bit and see what's out there.

My plan is to try and capture some of the beauty of Iowa while I'm waiting to get a meeting set up with INHF and Prairiewoods. The footage I'm shooting today may not make the PSA but I figure it might also help spark conversation that would lead to a great idea for the PSA.

So, we'll see how today goes.

Andrew Kufahl
August 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Had an idea this morning while I was in one of the best thinking places... the shower. I kind of counted myself out of this challenge already, but I think my idea is simple and effective enough to make happen. It'll be tough because of my August schedule, but I'm on a mission to make it happen. Good thing is that my idea can be applied to virtually any "destination", so I shouldn't be too limitted in who I try to get to support this... just need to find someone that's interested.

Andrew

Russ Holland
August 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM
I too immediately cast myself out of this challenge, but within about 50 minutes of reading the post, a thought came to me. One of two places which I could use.

So I sent my email off to the preferred centre and explained the situation. All I do now is wait...

...which I don't really like doing, I'd sooner get out there and film something.

Trond Saetre
August 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
A vague idea is slowly entering my head.
Think I have one or two organizations I can contact tomorrow.

It will be tough, real tough, but that's why it is called a challenge, right.
To me, this round will be all about trying something I have never tried before.
Been in the shark tank once, and didn't like that at all, so I have to do my very best this round to avoid that place.

GOOD LUCK everyone! It will be fun to see what you all come up with.

Oliver Pahlow
August 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
I also sent off an email to a small organization and I am waiting for a reply. I'm looking for more. Not in the shark tank yet....

Oliver

Rob Evans
August 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Bit quiet out there in UWOL - Land??? How's it going guys?

Sent a few emails to some "really" different organisations, and have my first meeting tonight, hopefully it'll be a great match and the chance to get close to a furry creature that I have only ever seen stuffed before :-)

Andrew Kufahl
August 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Sent an email out Monday night and got a positive reply Tuesday morning. Tentatively we are scheduled to meet at 3pm on Wednesday (tomorrow). I'm going to storyboard my ideas tonight so they can see what I'm envisioning, but I'll also let them know I am willing to consider ideas they might have.

Russ Holland
August 5th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I've not had any joy with my email yet, if I've not heard anything by tomorrow I'll call them. I so hate doing things in person, I'm not a people person, that's why I like wildlife so much! They don't say no (they just bite!)

Dale Guthormsen
August 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Good Afternoon,

Well, I drove 4 hours to get to the film site to meet up with the director and shoot some film. A young fellow had a neck injury and we got absolutely nothing done. He is going to be all right but I now have to make another trek back there this friday. Hopefully the next day will work out!!

There is always something to keep it interesting. While the director is keen some of the board members are not so keen.

Treading water,

Dale

Annie Haycock
August 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hey Russ, sounds like you and me would get on fine - I'm not a people person either!

Andrew Kufahl
August 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Just got out of my meeting with the "sponsors" and things went well. They are very excited about this, which is very cool. I "pitched" four different ideas/concepts. In general they seemed to receive them all very well, but had 2 that they thought matched-up well with some of the programs they have. (I'm glad I researched their website and brochures while I was brainstorming.) Long story short... I now need to try and merge the two ideas into one, as they thought the two ideas fit together nicely. Now to try my hand at a more detailed storyboard of the concept...

Russ Holland
August 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Hi

Both my sponsors came back with a "sorry but no" response, so that looks like me out of the judging :( Darn those humans! darn them all to hell, lol!

Not too sure if there is anyone else around these parts which could be approached. More than likely I'll film an entry anyway but I'm downhearted about this one so I'll have to see how things go.

Sorry folks

PS Hi Annie!

Rob Evans
August 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Dude, don't give up the gun so easy!!!

There must be tens of conservation/nature groups around you, do a google and put a few feelers out!!!

Well my first "meeting" actually turned into a full blown filming session, observing to a certain extent but also getting 3 minutes of good footage. Also turned out to be a magical experience ( it finished at half midnight though, yawn! ) and the people involved are so committed and passionate to their cause. Fantastic!!!

Chris Barcellos
August 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Expect that I will not make this one-- my first miss,,, as I am ramping up for a 48hour competition, on 15th...

Jeff Hendricks
August 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hey all,

Just heard from the local trails association who liked my pitch (via e-mail). I will be meeting with them next week and begin production shortly there after. I offered to put out a PSA for free and gave them an idea for a commercial that would increase interest in our local trails. The president of the organization called a few minutes ago and she was impressed and excited for the opportunity.

Does anyone have any pointers on meeting with professional organization? I have never pitched an idea for a film in front of a group and I may need some advice on how to conduct a meeting…any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

So...anyway, I was thinking that we could throw some ideas out there for people struggling to come up with an organization to pitch their ideas to….

For example I thought about pitching ideas to:
Local Museums
Trail association
Groups for people with disabilities accessing the wilderness
Local Sierra Club
Local wilderness protection agencies

I kept searching these threads looking for ideas, so I decided to throw some out there for others who may be in the boat I was in…instead of jumping over board into shark infested waters.

Jeff

Meryem Ersoz
August 8th, 2008, 10:37 AM
The successes will be hard in this one. That's a given. But the rewards will be huge for those who can see it through, I guarantee it. And for the rest of us, who get to see what the finishers have contributed to making their little corner of the planet a better place.

Good luck!

Peter Damerell
August 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Might have pushed things a bit far this time....

A word of warning to all fellow UWOLers. If you take to many liberties with gravity, it will turn around and bite you in the ass.

Still gonna try to get an entry in but have to wait for the cast to come of Mr Joslins hand before we can film anything. Bring on the last minute mad dash!

Markus Nord
August 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hello Friends…

I got in touch with WWF local office here in Sweden today and it looks like they are interested in a PSA. I basically got free hands in producing what I want (I kind of know what they want, I’ll been working in the same direction myself the last 4 years).

Our arrangement is something like this… If I produce something good, they broadcast it, if I do something “crappie” they don’t. So it’s up to me if I can finish this round or not… I got one idea, hope that they like it.

Cheers for now
Markus

Trond Saetre
August 13th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Good to hear at least some of you do well with this challenge of challenges.
I am struggling! Still no response from the organizations I emailed.
Twisting my brain trying to figure out how to make a commercial too.
Still many days to go, but dark clouds are hanging over me at the moment.

Good luck to all of you!

John Dennis Robertson
August 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Who would have thought that offering your services for free would be met with such ..um suspicion....This is becomming more difficult as the days go by..Have not even started filming yet. Im sure everyone else is having the same problem,cause not much been happening here

Geir Inge
August 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Then I'm back from my holiday, way up North in Lofoten.
Before I went up North I sent an email to one organisastion.
In advance I made a list of some org I knew of, but desided to send only to one at the time.
Last week I got a call on my cell phone and it was from my number one choice :)
AND it was from the General Secretary (head boss) of the org.
A little bit curious and he couldn't believe that someone would make a PSA for free :)
To make a long story short, we now have a deal and I'm gonna meet'em tomorrow at Runde island. I did some shooting in Lofoten, but have to do some more shooting this weekend and next week. Then it's the editing part. Just hope I'll manage to finish within the limit/deadline.
I will make two films for them, one 30 sek for television and the other 60 sek for their web page and for use at conferences. I'm not sure wich one to put into the challenge though?

To those of you who think this is a too big task.... Forget it!
You can do whatever you decide to do. To little time I can understand, but if you tell me it's because of your skills? I don't believe it. I've seen your films and they are pretty good :)

Remember it's not the "size" of the organisation, but rather the quality of your PSA that counts.

Wish all of you best of luck.
Geir Inge

Meryem Ersoz
August 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
It wouldn't be UWOL X if it wasn't hard, keep at it, my friends! You can all hate me now, if you need to, but whoever finishes this is going to score huge karma points. When we are all together watching whatever few entries get completed, it will be a wondrous thing, to see what UWOLers are giving back to our beautiful planet.

If you save just one raptor or just one tree with your video camera, you'll be my hero for life!

You have to admit, the ones that make it are going to be cool to watch!

Markus Nord
August 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Hello friends…

I hade a busy day today... first I hade to sort out some indoor desk business (Book keeping, not the most fun thing in life) But I decided to give myself a treat if I got everything ready till lunch, I did finish to lunch so I packed my camera and took of to pick up my dive gear… after some modification (tried out my new tripod to my UW housing) of the camera housing I packed the car and drove a few minutes to my boat and loaded it up. My town is located at the seaside so it’s not that far before you are out in the archipelago. Five minutes by boat and I arrived at my first dive location. I put my gear on and to of, at this time its 17 degrees in the water so you don’t need any groves or hood on… nearly like tropical diving.
This was a treat! Oh my… A lovely dive with some really lovely views.
I Think I did get the shots that I needed… especially after my second dive. On Monday I meet up with a friend that produce music for me during my “big” productions and he will help me fix some nice sounds to this production.
Tomorrow I head of to meet my old class in media production for a reunion party… se if I got my head together on Monday :)

Cheers from Sweden

Markus

Kevin Railsback
August 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM
It's 6:15 AM here in good old Iowa. Meeting with Emy from Prairiewoods this morning to talk about their PSA.
Hadn't hear back from them for a while so after their initial "YES" I figured they might not be interested any longer.

But, an email from Emy explained that their email had been out for a week and that they were very excited to work with me.

I had pitched a couple ideas. One, very simple, three shot PSA. The other pretty complex for anything I've ever done before. I also sent them two other ideas and explained we could do any of those or something totally different depending on their needs.

They've liked all the concepts so far and I can already tell they will be a group I will work with long after UWOL X is over.

Hopefully I can get one PSA done by the deadline. If not, it won;t be the end of the world. Just means that I'm to busy trying to save it with Prairiewoods and want to make sure the message is as good as it can be.

Kevin Railsback
August 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
The meeting went well. They are very excited to work with me. I dropped off a couple DVD's with my past UWOL films as well as some other projects I've done.

The nice thing about networking is that there was a guy who runs a PR firm that was also at the meeting. He's also a writer. So, we had an opportunity to talk and it looks like we may be working on some projects together in the future.

These are a great bunch of people and they are so happy to have any kind of help to get their message out. I see myself working with them far into the future.

I'm normally not a people person. Heck, I won't even go back to the drive thru if they screw up my order. But when you offer help to people they are so happy to have any kind of help, you walk away feeling so glad that you took the chance and the time to talk with them.

The folks at Prairiewoods keep asking me, what can they do, how can they help. Let us know what you need.
Great people. Glad I met them.

Geir Inge
August 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I've been at Runde today and shot some scenes.
Beautiful weather, but not so many birds left on the island.
Many Northern Gannets (with chicks) they don't leave until sept/oct, some Great Skua (ready for "take off") and even I did manage to capture 3 Puffins. The last one I think was pure luck as the Puffins "left the building" almost one month ago.

I'm not sure how to use these clips though.
It's not so easy to make a PSA as I thought :/
You have to make a message and then think of how the receiver will respond to it, or how you want the message to affect the receiver. Then you have your customer you're making the PSA for. It's not always they know what they want. Sometimes they want to put "everything" in a 30 sek or 1 min film :/ So then it's on to explain how things works in this media called film/video. Well, it's a little bit different then making a 3 min film out of your own heart, so to speak.
You can see some white spots on one of the Gannets photo, it's pollen (I'm not sure if thats the right english word though?) It was quite a lot of it and did disturb my filming from time to time. Also at the place I filmed the Skua, there where a lot of insects. Well, thats nature folks :) Hope you're all doing well making your PSA.

I have made some snapshots from my shooting today.
2 of the Great Skua and 2 of the Gannets.
The Great Skua almost look like a bird of pray, don't you think?

Ryan Farnes
August 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Geir, looks like some good stuff.

Reminds me of some of the scenes in "Winged Migration." You've seen it I'm guessing.

My group postponed a trip so another person from their group could attend, so I went and did some shooting yesterday at a place called "Little Sahara." Sand dunes in the central part of Utah, a rather diverse state over here in the USA.

I'd love to post some stills but I have to admit I don't know how to. :-| (A little help..?)

Ryan Farnes
August 18th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Hmm...can't figure out how to attach images for the life of me.

Marj Atkins
August 18th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Hi Ryan
Open "Post reply"
Scroll down to "Additional Options" and click on "Manage Attachments" button then insert the file/s you want.
Make sure its a .jpg or the thumbnail wont appear in the thread - it will have to be opened by the viewer.

Oh my word - All I can say Meryem is:

This is no curved ball - it is a downright yorker!

Trying to get all my ducks (and geese and other things) in a row is probably better than going out for a duck but oi - a learning curve round every corner!!!

John Dennis Robertson
August 18th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Just got to work this fine monday morning...and lo and behold I have recieved permission from my chosen organisation.Now that the hard part is over...I am ready to dive in and do what I enjoy (the filming,editing part) Having an 8 till 6 day job means having a long time to wait before I can get out and film,still pretty confident that Im not shark bait yet.

Trond Saetre
August 18th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Good to see at least some of you are making progress this round.
I'm trying to come up with other organizations I could contact, since my original and backup didn't work out.

Getting closer to the shark tank every minute, and right now it looks like that's where I'm ending up. Not anything to look forward to, since I couldn't make anything last round either.

Ryan Farnes
August 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Ah, I see. I'm not allowed to post attachments. Perhaps due to my low post number.

I'll contact the dvinfo guys to see if that is the case.

Thanks.

Marj Atkins
August 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Yesterday the shark tank was beginning to look decidedly like the lesser of two evils but today’s events were fairly encouraging and put things back on track once again.

I must say that finding an organization with which to work turned out to be the least of my problems. Both organizations I approached (a daunting experience to say the least) were keen to be involved and they thought Meryem’s idea was wonderful.
The one with which I decided to run for the Challenge is located a reasonable distance from my home.
They would like a commercial for both their web-site and TV! I couldn’t believe my ears. Talk about pressure! Apparently they get the opportunity to place a commercial from time to time in a charity slot.

The genre itself has been the biggest problem for me - trying to understand it and then deciding how to convey a message about something that is quite serious without being too serious - or too frivolous for that matter.

They basically gave me carte blanche and I have spent the best part of a week wrapping my grey matter around three basic ideas, trying to decide for myself if they are feasible and if so, which one would be best before pitching my ideas.

Today I presented two of my ideas, having decided that the third one would really tax me too much - both technically and logistically. To cut a long story short they were well received so tomorrow I shoot it in all earnestness with their active participation!
I’m really not sure I can make one that will meet TV standards however. Going to need some help to sort that out once the challenge is over for sure.

Meryem Ersoz
August 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Glad to see that some of you are having a few moments of wonder amid the woe.

My tale of wonder is that we finally finished this project, several months in the making...the real wonder is that you US folks can watch it on its national telecast:

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/72558/?UserDef=true&catID=76

It was an 8-camera, 45 minute edit that needed closed captioned and mastered to three different formats - and the entire post-race edit and mastering had to be done in three weeks. I mailed it out Friday. I also produced the whole shoot, including hiring the shooters and assistant, shot all of the finish line footage, some of the run footage, and all of the commentary, as well as shooting 3 out of the 4 internal stories. I edited the story and did the sound design. I didn't do the color correction or the graphics, I had some help there, but that's about all that I didn't do.

So I think you guys can do this!

Now I can finally focus on UWOL again. And I better hurry, if I don't want to spend this round swimming...

my tale of woe is that my "sure thing" that I was counting on to use in this challenge is on vacation this week! aaaaahhhhh....didn't see that one coming!

Ryan Farnes
August 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Versus? Nice.

I know it because the university I attend, BYU, has had a couple of football games on it. :-)

Rob Evans
August 20th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Had a really amazing shooting sesh again last night, and am almost in a position to start editing.

The problem? Well, the subject and people are so interesting I could quite easily form a 10 minute doco from the stuff i have ;-)

Mat Thompson
August 20th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Hey Rob
Sounds like youre steaming along fella! Great stuff, looking forward to it!

Well I'm finally done with holidays and now have some time to put into this thing. Whether I can string something together in 10 days is another matter. I have one potential lifeline I'm checking out today.....stay tuned!

Russ Holland
August 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I've already posted in the shark tank because my sponsors all said No but I did get an email last night from the first one, who didn't contact me at all - this said "contact us again in mid-september"

So, my shark tank entry is valid.

I've still offered to do them a video if they still want it, just to give me the excuse to do something, but I've left it too late to enter now, won't have time to do a non-judging entry, so sorry but I'm in the Tank.

Meryem Ersoz
August 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
me so happy -- i heard back from one of my ideas, and they're psyched! green light. woo hoo, sharks are gonna hafta nibble on some other toes, of course i have to actually shoot the darn thing, when will i be able to squeeze that in???

this UWOL thingie is quite a rollercoaster, is it not?

Rob Evans
August 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM
You can say that again Meryem!!

Did my first edit of the interview which is the bedrock of my piece. It's scary how suddenly that 60 seconds ( yes i'm going for the full whammy! ) can feel such an incredibly small space of time to work in to do justice to the plan. Really having to apply brain power on this one!!

Marj Atkins
August 24th, 2008, 04:39 AM
This place is rather quiet! Been away for a couple of days and nothing's been happening here in the meantime -everyone editing like crazy I guess.

Hope you guys in the shark tank are working on some easy themes for Meryem - looks like she really could do with some help in that department - her brain is far too tortuous for us! :)

(I'm wondering why Grant Sherman is so quiet. Hope for his sake he's going to submit an entry - I have a feeling there's a lynch party waiting for him in the shark tank! :)

. . . Really having to apply brain power on this one!!

You can say that again Rob - we reallly have to do some mind-bending on this theme to get the final product to work. Guess I was right when I said "X" marks the spot - little did I know it was going to be a TV spot!!! There is so much to get right here - the concept, the message, the wording, the images, the sound, the quality and last but not least liasing with the organization. This week we all have to face the music - will they like what we've done or send us back to the drawing board. Oh boy! Xtraordinary Xperience this is!

Kevin Railsback
August 24th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I have another meeting with Prairiewoods this coming week.
We're not even planning on shooting the PSA until the day it's due.

So, hopefully there won't be any glitches.

Rob Evans
August 25th, 2008, 05:08 AM
;-)

Presented a draft cut to the charity yesterday and they were really happy with it - just one minor tweak and we're good to go!!!

Meryem, file size wise my minute fits into 60mb at 1280 x 720 H.264 (and looks great) - i know there was some talk about different formats on this round, would mine be ok?

Meryem Ersoz
August 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
good question -- i think we can afford larger file dimensions (size will still be capped at 60mb still). let me double-check on this before i commit to it, i don't want to create any problems, and i'll send round an e-mail on it.

though, rob, i'm thinking more like 720 x 480 or 640 x 480 -- so that people don't have to re-size to fit their computer screens, it will make it easier to view....

Rob Evans
August 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
though, rob, i'm thinking more like 720 x 480 or 640 x 480 ..

no worries there - thanks!!

John Dennis Robertson
August 25th, 2008, 11:39 PM
My idea of an advert should be to sell a product or to inform the viewer.Just found out I suck at trying to do either of these.With a 3 min video I seem to struggle to convey a message,30 seconds is right out of the question.Just finnished a rough edit of a 1 min piece,and still far from happy with it..Its one thing producing something for yourself,but to produce something for an organisation that could possibly sell them short is a daunting endeavour indeed.

Dale Guthormsen
August 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM
John,

I can appreciate what you are saying. Working with the public is always full of surprises!!
I shot two hours of footage and now what I want to produce is not what the board desires. It will not even be competitive in a far reach of the topic, and I can be pretty imaginative in that regard. I am going to produce it as they desire it but I probably wont even submit it. Pretty easy to lose ones enthusiasm.

Marj Atkins
August 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Well, thankfully, I’ve been given the green light! Presented my commercial to the organization and they loved it. It will go up onto their website in October as soon as the person with whom I have been liaising gets back from an overseas trip. I feel so relieved it’s over.

Mat Thompson
August 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Congrats Marj....looking forward to seeing it !!

Marj Atkins
August 27th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks Mat - its no big deal, but they are happy and that's the main thing.