View Full Version : Low Light Profile?

Rick Jones
August 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Anyone have a good PP for low light? I haven't had much time to work on one for indoor use and was hoping not to have to reinvent what someone may have already accomplished. If you've got one can you post the actual settings instead of a SUF? The EX3 doesn't seem to match up with SUF files from the EX1. Thanks!

Craig Terott
August 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I'm sure someone else on this board will have a more elaborate suggestion but ...have you tried a profile with gamma in STD4 setting? STD4 seems to stretch the blacks a bit.

Piotr Wozniacki
August 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I'm using either STD1 to crush, or STD4 to stretch the blacks - anything else at default (unless I'm doing portraits, where I would use the Skin Details settings). All this in combinations with the proper WB preset.

Whether I would compress or stretch blacks is usually an artistic decision, though with really dark scenes, compressing the darkest areas along with the inherent noise is just a necessity.

Using any Cine gamma renders the mids too dark.

Adam Reuter
August 7th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I've used basspig's with pretty good success. It is noisy as heck BUT if you've ever watched A&E's First 48 when then have night scenes it looks kind of like that at +18dB gain.

http://www.basspig.com/PMW-EX1_PP.htm

If there is a lamp on or something indoors I just use my go-to picture profile of Bill Ravens' True Color 3. +12dB of gain is usually more than enough for most indoor shots...sometimes I can get away with -3dB with bright enough areas (bright overhead flourescents). Tru Color 3 is available on the picture profiles recipe page here on DVInfo. It's not on Bill's post but if you follow the evolution of the profile you'll find a post with the updated settings.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110902&page=8 under Steven Thomas' post. Here's the recipe for easy reference:

Bill Ravens' True Color 3

Matrix ...............on
Select................hisat
Level..................0
Phase.................-5
R-G...................75
R-B...................0
G-R...................-18
G-B...................-32
B-R...................-27
B-G...................13

Gamma Level.............. 0
Gamma Select.............CINE1
Black..........................-12
Black Gamma..............0

Rick Jones
August 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll start testing tonight.