View Full Version : hiss, hiss, hiss

Attila Cser
August 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hi guys,

I just noticed recently that if I turn up the monitor volume to the max level on EX1
a very significant hiss can be heard from both audio channels.
(The input selectors are in external mic or the mic+48V position, regardless of having a mic actually connected.) Some hiss is also there when using the internal mic

Can someone confirm if this was a normal phenomena or my cam should be serviced?

( when no source connected and the audio inputs are in Line position there's no hiss at all)

Thanks in advance,

Atti

Attila Cser
August 8th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hm,
Is there anybody out there having the extra 5 minutes and quickly would be able to test the hiss phenomena on her/his unit? pls.

Ola Christoffersson
August 9th, 2008, 04:04 AM
The S/N ratio and hiss is very dependent on the gain settings in the menues. This has been covered in an extensive thread that you can try searching for. In short - you have to make sure that the gain setting is opimized for you mic sensitivity to get maximum S/N. If you do hiss should not be a problem.

Bruce Rawlings
August 9th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I think it is the monitoring amp. I have tried various headphones Sony and Sennheiser, both have low level even when monitor is on max. Have presumed that recording level is to be set at a position than gives same as auto- although I would not really use auto unless it is just for actuality fx.

Will do some tests this weekend with various mics.

Paul Newman
August 10th, 2008, 02:07 AM
It is the monitor amplifier.

Paul