View Full Version : Krazy with a Capital K

Patrick Moreau
August 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
This guy has been shooting for roughly a year, he has shot probably less than 20 weddings, but he is totally knockin' out some wild stuff. We hadn't planned on having another executive cinematographer join us but how can you turn down that crazy polish accent and those smooth moves of his.

Konrad has been shooting with us starting early in the year and just joined us full time last month. Very recently though, I think he stepped up his game and edited a highlights clip that he shot with Tony and myself and also shot a wedding in Japan with Tony.

I wanted to share both of those clips here so you can see what we have been up to. If you only knew how hot and humid it was in the part of Japan they were in, the long hours that they had shoot, and the amount of steadicam he fit in there to get what he wanted, it would totally make sense why we call him Krazy Konrad.

Many of you have already seen one of these two clips and left us comments on the blog. A big thanks to all of you who have taken the time to do that.

The Japan Trailer:
http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=520

The Highlights Clip
http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=523

-Patrick

Luis Rolo
August 11th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Krazy Konrad has some Krazy sKills.
Very Kool.

Monday Isa
August 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Very nice job on the Japan trailer! Krazy Konrad and Tony did one heck of a job. The scenery was very nice and just seeing a different style wedding makes it breath taking, not sure why. The last shot was very nice to. perfect timing to get it. Congrats to you and the team in pushing your creative aspects and always settling for nothing less then your best every job. Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Monday

Jason Magbanua
August 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
WOW!

That was just plain AWESOME!

Kelsey Emuss
August 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
WOW! Those are seriously awesome!

I only have ONE problem after seeing the Jess and Ryan clip..........
I just shot a wedding in the same church 2 wks ago. The Priest gave me a SERIOUSLY hard time at the rehearsal, telling me "not to make a nuisance of myself", and "stay as still and inconspicious as possible", and "be discreet" blah, blah, blah....

He then told me that he recently had to stop a ceremony TWICE to tell the videographers/photographers that they were being disruptive (hmmmm....) and he wasn't afraid to do it again!!

So..........................was it you?!

Do I have you guys to blame for my minimally obtrusive footage?!? lol! ;-)

Seriously awesome stuff though, and looks like you found a great fit with Krazy Konrad!

Matthew Ebenezer
August 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Excellent! Truly excellent.

Noel Lising
August 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Great work. You continue to inspire us all.

Danny O'Neill
August 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Matthew, what was that song in your shadowplay demo, the first one. Seriously loved that demo.

Sorry to hikack the thread :)

Shaun Conner
August 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
That was great. I loved it. And he's only been shooting for a year. Kudos to you guys. I always enjoy your work.

John Stakes
August 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Great clips guys. Thanks for reminding me I have to step my game up! Great opening and closing on the first clip. And the color is breathtaking!

few questions, if you get a chance:

1) were you using a letus adapter?
2) name of the song?
3) can you offer some sources on color correction?
4) did you shoot in HD then downconvert on capture?
5) what NLE?

Thanks for sharing!!! and congrats on building a great team!

-JS

Patrick Moreau
August 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Great clips guys. Thanks for reminding me I have to step my game up! Great opening and closing on the first clip. And the color is breathtaking!

few questions, if you get a chance:

1) were you using a letus adapter?
2) name of the song?
3) can you offer some sources on color correction?
4) did you shoot in HD then downconvert on capture?
5) what NLE?

Thanks for sharing!!! and congrats on building a great team!

-JS

Hi John,

We use Brevis adapters. I think we have 4-5 of them in total. We tried letus a couple times but it just wasn't the right fit for us.

The song is from the Last Samurai soundtrack.

Hmm- reframe would be a great one. StillMotion, Philip Bloom, and JMags will all be there next year and we will be talking about color. We will also be having an in studio 3 day workshop here at StillMotion sometime next year.

Shot in Hd and editing in HD.

All done in FCP.

P.

Buba Kastorski
August 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM
We will also be having an in studio 3 day workshop here at StillMotion sometime next year.

P.

Great idea, count me in

Travis Cossel
August 12th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Both of these were just great. What really stands out in the work you guys do is how solid everything is. The shots are solid, the grading is solid, the editing is solid. You just do it all right. You guys definitely deserve the success you're having.

I'm selling off my SD stuff, and if everything goes well and I have the money to survive the winter, I sure hope I can attend one of the workshops.

Louis Maddalena
August 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Both Videos are amazing! I look up to your work and hope that one day I can do work as good as you.

Is it true you picked up Konrad by randomly asking a guy at a lemonade stand to shoot a wedding video and he said yes.. and you happened to get lucky.

Matthew Ebenezer
August 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
We will also be having an in studio 3 day workshop here at StillMotion sometime next year.

Any chance you could schedule that workshop for a couple of days after Reframe '09 so us Aussies can make it? ;)

Michael Y Wong
August 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Is it true you picked up Konrad by randomly asking a guy at a lemonade stand to shoot a wedding video and he said yes.. and you happened to get lucky.

LOL absolutely not... it was definately a hilarious read tho.

Konrad was in in training in both editing and shooting for a good 6 months now. With that said, I lent him my Steadicam Pilot for the Japan wedding. Believe it or not, it wasthe second time he shot with that rig (he shot an hour engagement shoot a day or 2 before flying to Japan)... which is a huge testament to his talent (and endurance).

John Stakes
August 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
thanks for the quick, informative response Patrick. One more question, what mic was used?

BTW I have added your blog to my favorites!

Tony Edgar
August 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Speaking of Konrad and the steadicam - he pretty much wore it for the entire week we were in Japan. I think he even had it on when we went surfing and he definitely had it on when we ate dinner one night lol

Patrick Moreau
August 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, the great Tony Edgar lives! Tony is usually off somewhere meditating about his next shoot. It is awesome that he finally decided to speak up on here.

Tony would be our resident expert on film, 35 adapters, and lighting.

Patrick

Matthew Ebenezer
August 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Matthew, what was that song in your shadowplay demo, the first one. Seriously loved that demo.

Sorry to hikack the thread :)

Thanks Danny! The song is Switchfoot "Awakening".

Back to Konrad ... 2nd time with the rig - holy smokes that is amazing. He must have been wearing it to bed as well so he could practice in his sleep :)

Ian Lim
August 12th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Everything's just perfect! I'm amazed. Kudos to Konrad and StillMotion team!

Peter Szilveszter
August 13th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I was truly in awe of the clips, the Japan trailer really stood out. The best trailer I've seen from Stillmotion.

Really wonderful that you have another very talented shooter to join the team.

Noel Lising
August 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Hey Patrick,

Count me in, I'll join the workshop. I assume next year would be March prior to the wedding season?

Thanks,

Noel

Konrad Czystowski
August 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hey Guys! It's Krazy.
I'm joining the discussion a little late, but that's because I just run 48h steadicam marathon.

And now, being serious, thanks to all for good words.

At first I wanted to say how extremely happy and honored I am to join Still Motion team.
I'm so happy I can do what I love for living and do it alongside so talented people.

Michael, thanks for letting me use your steadicam in Japan. I had a blast playing with it.
And yes, I wore it a lot there, but no, I didn't sleep in it, didn't had it on while surfing and having dinner, Tony! I was tempted though and I did have it on in the bus, on a train ride and on the golf cart. lol
Credits to Tony, who chose the shower for trashing the dress, instead of just an ocean or fountain. I think the shower was much cooler.

Thanks again

Ram Purad
August 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Congratulations Konrad,

You did an excellent job with the Japan shoot. Looking forward to see more great stuff from you.

Hubert Duijzer
August 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I've watched the Japan trailer for 5 or 6 times in the last few weeks.
Awesome, just awesome. Thanks for sharing this beauty.

John Moon
August 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hey Guys! It's Krazy.
I'm joining the discussion a little late, but that's because I just run 48h steadicam marathon.

And now, being serious, thanks to all for good words.

At first I wanted to say how extremely happy and honored I am to join Still Motion team.
I'm so happy I can do what I love for living and do it alongside so talented people.

Michael, thanks for letting me use your steadicam in Japan. I had a blast playing with it.
And yes, I wore it a lot there, but no, I didn't sleep in it, didn't had it on while surfing and having dinner, Tony! I was tempted though and I did have it on in the bus, on a train ride and on the golf cart. lol
Credits to Tony, who chose the shower for trashing the dress, instead of just an ocean or fountain. I think the shower was much cooler.

Thanks again

Nice work Konrad. I have been trying to decide on either getting the SC Pilot or a 35 from Cinevate and leaning toward, of course, the more expensive of the two. SC work was great in this piece.

John

Yang Wen
August 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
wow nice video. These clients must be paying a crap load of $$ for the video huh!?