View Full Version : new ex1 firmware out

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Justin Benn
September 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
I was always very impressed with how JVC seemed keen to listen to users when releasing their recent 100/200/250 series cameras so perhaps we can sting Sony into action?

Might it be possible to get a signed e-petition going or something? Never done this myself but get sent them from charities all the time. Anyone have any experience setting one up? Surely with all the users on here and elsewhere we could encourage Sony to see the virtue of keeping users happy and possibly keeping them positively disposed towards Sony for longer?

Jus.

Paul Kellett
September 4th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I did a demo of the backfocus fix procedure and posted it on vimeo

Paul Kellett Channel on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/paulkellett)

Has anyone done a demo of how to do the firmware upgrade ?

Paul.

Paul Newman
September 4th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Just to drag this back to a technical arena, should one upgrade to 1.10 then 1.11 from the package which was on the Sony site - that is to say if you decided to do this - and has anyone upped from 1.02 without problems?

Paul

Brian Rhodes
September 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Maybe we should look at this as Sony's way to get their complete installed base "up to par".

When you send in the camera they will fix flaking body shells, battery draining circuit boards, adjust the backfocus, give it a "once over" AND they will do the FW upgrade.

A costly move indeed but one that would ensure that everyone gets up to spec in one "swift" move...

George/

P.S. All of this should be covered by warranty, IMHO, and if you already had all the work done previously I'd say Sony owes you an easy way to upgrade to 1.11. How about a booth at IBC?

My cam has been at with Sony service now for over two weeks to fix flaking body shells, battery draining issue , and poping sound 720 60p audio I also ask them to upgrade to 1.11.
Just got an email today informing me that it would be a $100.00 charge for the upgrade.

Steve Shovlar
September 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Just to drag this back to a technical arena, should one upgrade to 1.10 then 1.11 from the package which was on the Sony site - that is to say if you decided to do this - and has anyone upped from 1.02 without problems?

Paul

I went from 1.02 to 1.10, and then put on 1.11 with no problems. When you put on 1.10 continue straight away to 1.11. If you check your firmware after 1.10 it will still show 1.02.

Paul Newman
September 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks Steve, all good and working perfectly, shot 39 mins onto Lexar 8Gb card that cost
£40 at a London airport on Wednesday, yes it's 1080 50i sp but what the heck, this is fantastic.

Just testing how long HQ works for... records 14 mins before displaying media error, although file is fine.

Paul

Michael Jensen
September 4th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Charging for the firmware upgrade is just wrong.

Brent Ethington
September 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I went from 1.02 to 1.10, and then put on 1.11 with no problems. When you put on 1.10 continue straight away to 1.11. If you check your firmware after 1.10 it will still show 1.02.

While it's possible to install 1.10 and move right to 1.11, the instructions do say to reset the camera after installing 1.10 and then install 1.11. no clue as to whether there really is a difference between the 2 methods...

Jurgen Taghon
September 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
i did it with a reset between the 2 and everything works fine now
Yes even in ecuador we use the fabules xdcam EX1

greetings jurgen

Steven Thomas
September 6th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Charging for the firmware upgrade is just wrong.

Especially when East coast US does not charge, but West coast does?

Tom Vaughan
September 6th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Just received my new EX1 from B&H yesterday. I'm happy to report it shipped with the new firmware.

Dean Lines
September 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM
well... Reading this thread had me kind of nervous about being charged for the upgrade, so I contacted Prime Support. I have to say, I couldn't be happier about the service.

I contacted them on the Friday afternoon. They dropped the box off for me on the Monday morning and picked up the camera later that afternoon. Seven days later, first thing Monday morning and the camera was back to me. They fixed the battery drain issue. Upgraded the firmware and did a "complete function check" which was "all to spec".

Camera is back now and working fine.

Im in Manchester in the UK and the camera was sent to Sony in South Wales for those who are interested.

Paul Kellett
September 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Dean, do you have contact details for sony in south wales ?
That's about 1 hour's drive from where i live, i'd like to try and "book my camera in" and just take it there and wait, even if it means waiting outsie in my van for a few hours, i'd rather do that then let the camera get shipped around with a courier.

And was the upgrade free of charge ?

Paul.

Jurgen Taghon
September 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Hello guys,

Yesterday i had a presentation from Sony Latin America, and they told me that the firmware upgrade for the ex cameras will be free in this continent.

Dean Lines
September 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hey Paul. The upgrade/shipping/(ups) was all completely free. I guess it all comes as part of the two year prime support I got with the camera.

Im afraid I don't know where abouts Sony is based in south wales. But I'm sure if you called Prime Support they could tell you if what you want to do is doable or not.

The guy I spoke to seemed eager to help in any way he could. He even rang me this afternoon to double check I was happy with the camera/service and not to hesitate to call him back if I had any other issues.

Paul Kellett
September 10th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I've found sony in south wales, according to the website it's the only factory outside of Japan which assembles sony HD camera's.
The factory is only 1 hours drive from my house so i'm going to ring them and see if i can book my camera in for a firmware upgrade, i'd rather sit outside in my van for a whole day than post my camera off for a trip round the country with a courier and then get it back a week later.
Paul.

Bruce Rawlings
September 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Sony South Wales is a first class facility. I took a Z1 in and the service was second to none. Years ago I filmed Mr Morita the founder of Sony opening the factory with the Queen.

Noah Yuan-Vogel
September 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM
i tried calling the sony support and as expected they said that i definitely would have to pay them $100 to get the upgrade even though i bought my camera when the 1.11 firmware was available. when i mentioned that there was information online saying it would be possible to do this upgrade by oneself using any computer he said it would void the warranty. this is all a bit of a pain. i guess ill take it up with my vendor since i specifically asked them if it would come with the latest firmware when i ordered it. of course i ordered my camera literally the same week that reports of 1.11 firmware started showing up so it is likely my vendor didnt even know about the new firmware.

what do you think i should do? i am definitely into the idea that i could record to other kinds of flash media...

Steven Thomas
September 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
This seems crazy...
What's to say the software was not upgraded by another authorized Sony service.

Looking at my packing lists when I've had any work done, it's not very descriptive (not itemized) and lists all work done as upgrade.

Hanno Klein
September 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
That is crazy...

How can you loose your warranty if you download a firmware from an official public sony site? There was no information of loosing your warranty.

No way...

Jason Bodnar
September 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I think they are probably saying if you brick your camera while trying to upgrade yourself it will not be covered under warranty as you are not suppose to upgrade yourself... Once it has been upgraded to 1.11 there is no way to tell you who actually upgraded it... it may store the date info for when it was updated but not that Jo Blow decided to do this himself and it was not actually done by Sony themselves...

Noah Yuan-Vogel
September 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM
"probably"? im just not sure i want to risk my warranty over it. we dont know for sure if they can tell, right? when it talked to the guy at sony i couldnt tell i he knew i had 1.05 based on my registration info that i gave him or if he just assumed it since i was calling about the upgrade. im not that concerned with bricking my camera since there are a few reports of success and no reports of bricking and it doesnt sound like a complicated process at all. someone on this forum was saying it didnt work the first time but worked the second time so seems like even if you dont do it correctly youll likely just have to try again and it wont leave your camera bricked. of course if you pull the cord in the middle of updating that might be a different issue.

Steven Thomas
September 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM
"I think" that someone who said it did not work the first time forgot to power cycle the camera between versions 1.10 and 1.11... and did so the second time.

Matt Davis
September 11th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I'm waiting for a 'window of opportunity' to get my EX1 sorted before November, but still passionately interested to hear from anyone at 1.11 regarding the Audio level controls.

At 1.03, there appears to be a length of knicker elastic connecting the audio level wheels to the actual level circuits. Twiddle a knob, wait a few seconds, and eventually the audio circuit responds.

You don't ride the levels, you waterski behind them. Or so it seems.

Has this been improved?

... Before I gas on to some poor Sony rep at IBC...

George Kroonder
September 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Once it has been upgraded to 1.11 there is no way to tell you who actually upgraded it...

...on the camera. But Sony seems to log history on its camera's (the service bulletin for the update mentions all camera's that already have been upgraded). So if it's not on their system, they didn't perform it.

it may store the date info for when it was updated but not that Jo Blow decided to do this himself and it was not actually done by Sony themselves...

I doubt it would be an issue unless things went wrong during the upgrade (FW upgrades are very reliable however) or on related work that should have been carried out, but wasn't (who knows?).

George/

Steven Thomas
September 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Has this been improved?

It's a bit of Janglish, but here's the list of improvements and Bugs (v1.1) for the EX1:

[Addition of New Functions and Improvement of Functions]
1) SxS 32GB, PHU-60K is supported.
2) The 24Psf signal output is supported in the Camera Mode.
3) Chinese menu is supported.
4) Clip Number Reset function is changed to the Clip Number Set so that arbitrary number can be
entered.
5) The Clip > Update function is added in the MENU so that the management data inside the
media can be restored manually.
6) Number of the shutter speed choices is increased.
7) It is improved that the REC mark can be displayed even during LCD Display OFF.
8) Audio distortion is decreased. (TRIM level is changed to the 6 dB step when operated from the
menu.)
9) It is improved that the picture does not swing during the REC Review mode.

[Bug Correction]
1) The trouble is corrected that an error occurs when switchover of the media slots takes place
during continuous recording with the i.LINK connected.

Tom Roper
September 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM
#6 - More shutter speed choices.

If Sony's position is to force me to send in the camera for easy firmware fixes like this, my response will be to see what the next generation from Canon brings, and postpone consideration of all Sony accessories like high capacity storage drives and media until that time.

Edit:

And actually, there already are far more choices of shutter speed within the existing firmware, by choosing the "ECS" shutter mode. You can choose any shutter speed you want in 1 unit increments (or less) from the range of 1/60.02 to 1/2018.

Steven Thomas
September 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I hear you Tom.
The number ONE reason for me to upgrade is the possibility of using 32GB memory cards.
This is great for event work.

Adam Reuter
September 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
#6 - More shutter speed choices.

If Sony's position is to force me to send in the camera for easy firmware fixes like this, my response will be to see what the next generation from Canon brings, and postpone consideration of all Sony accessories like high capacity storage drives and media until that time.

Edit:

And actually, there already are far more choices of shutter speed within the existing firmware, by choosing the "ECS" shutter mode. You can choose any shutter speed you want in 1 unit increments (or less) from the range of 1/60.02 to 1/2018.

Hey Tom, thanks a lot for this tip! I was wondering how I'd get a proper PAL 1/50 shutter speed and this may be the answer. ECS doesn't do anything except affect shutter speed, correct? It doesn't mess with the signal any other way...I am hoping... Because this will also allow for proper doubled frame rates for slow motion effects as well.

Rick Yeh
September 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Is this upgrade also solve the battery problem?

Steven Thomas
September 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
No, you have to send it in and have a board replaced or two.

Keith Moreau
September 14th, 2008, 11:29 PM
My recent experience with Sony service:

Just got the 1.1.x upgrade. Hand carried it to Sony in San Jose. Strange experience, the Sony service center is housed in their regional warehouse, and you really can't get to a counter or anything and there are no signs or any indication it's Sony building. You have to knock on an unmarked loading dock door, and somebody lets you in, then you wait while somebody from the service part of the building comes to get your camera. Nice enough people who attended to me, but just seemed, well, kind of unprofessional at least for a walk in. In the huge warehouse by the loading doors were stacks and stacks of EX3s (among other things), waiting to be shipped out.

I asked for warranty repairs on the backfocus, the battery drain, and the newest firmware upgrade. I got the person who took my camera and made me fill out paperwork to sign their name that the camera was in perfect condition and just the items mentioned needed to be upgraded (the horror story of somebody else who had their EX1 dropped or something scared me).

There was a kind of unprofessional form I filled out with the serial number, what I needed done, etc. No carbon copied service forms, like you might get at an auto repair place, or anything. They made me a copy of the form.

A couple days later they called me to tell me the 1.1 firmware was going to cost $100. I asked if that was set in stone or if I had other issues if they'd just upgrade it for free. The service manager called me back and said they had received a memo from Sony corporate they needed to charge and they couldn't change that policy, so I agreed to pay for it, so I had to fill out a fax with my credit card number and fax it to them.

I picked it up a couple days later. It took from Monday until Friday to make these repairs. Other than the battery drain issue, which seems to be repaired, the focus and the firmware update isn't really noticeable to me. I haven't shot with it much other than to test that the backfocus was ok, not really better or worse than when I brought it in.

So I guess I'm really glad they didn't destroy my camera, but all in all... not the most professional warranty service experience I've had, especially for a camera that costs as much as a car (ok, a really cheap used car...). But I got the camera back in one piece and the darn battery issue seems to be fixed. I don't have to remember to pop the battery off the camera after each use.

I'm getting the Expresscard adapter thingy, might be fun to try that storage option out.

Bill Ravens
September 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I sent my EX1 in to service center in LA, two weeks ago. My emails to LA Service result in a reply by the next day, however, the info provided is simply "the engineer has your camera and is working on it". When I've asked when they expect to have it returned, I'm told "stop asking us, we'll let you know when it's ready".

All in all, I'm not happy with Sony Corp.

Steven Thomas
September 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Bill,
What did you send your camera in for?

Bill Ravens
September 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Steve...
1-battery drain issue
2-labels wearing off of the switches
3-firmware update to 1.11

Just got an email saying my EX1 was ready and is being returned today, 9-15-08

Steven Thomas
September 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hmm...
That sounds like a familiar list! LOL

Greg Boston
September 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Hmm...
That sounds like a familiar list! LOL

1 and 2 were indeed problems with cameras that came off the production line early on. By June, I was told by Sony that all those issues had been identified and rectified in the assembly line. That includes the flange back issues with ND on. Obviously, for those who got early cameras, a trip to the service center should fix those problems.

-gb-

Brent Ethington
September 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I sent my EX1 in to service center in LA, two weeks ago. My emails to LA Service result in a reply by the next day, however, the info provided is simply "the engineer has your camera and is working on it". When I've asked when they expect to have it returned, I'm told "stop asking us, we'll let you know when it's ready".

All in all, I'm not happy with Sony Corp.

I hear you Bill! San Jose is completely disorganized. after a week and a half, when I called about the status of mine, they said it was done and scheduled for shipment. when I asked for the tracking #, they gave me the tracking # for my shipment of the camera from me to them! they then said it would ship the next day, so after calling them for the next 3-4 days get to get a tracking #, they then said it was with the engineer and hadn't shipped yet. several days later it just showed up on my doorstep (of course I was out at the time and came home to find my $7k camera just sitting on my porch). hence my reluctance to send my EX1 to the service center again anytime soon...

Gints Klimanis
September 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Steve...
1-battery drain issue
2-labels wearing off of the switches
3-firmware update to 1.11

Just got an email saying my EX1 was ready and is being returned today, 9-15-08

Bill, were you concerned about the backfocus issue?

Attila Cser
September 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hi there,

This is just to let you know how the firmware war is doing in the Nordic

On the 4th September I've ordered a camera pick up for the EX1 because of the firmware 1.11

The Silver Support for Europe made the arrangement which includes the following (free):
1. the transport box where the camera needs to be packed arrives
2. the following day or the time you specified the currier picks the packed camera
3. the repair centre in France does the magic
4. the currier hands you over your updated - fixed camera
All these should happen within 7 business days

The problem in our case kicked off when we reached point no. 2
because I asked Sony to arrange the pick up with a four days delay to the box's arrival.
We planned that the camera can be spared from the 15th but needed back with the updated firmware from the 22nd Sept.

AND THE COLD SHOWER:
Although it was set it has never been picked up on the 15.9
Numerous calls to Sony Prime and UPS Finland brought no solution, they were pointing at each other while the clock was ticking.

Today as a result of a desperate phone call after an email which actually remained unanswered from Prime Support brought in a handy solution:
Prime Support has appointed an authorized Sony dealer in the capital area of Finland to carry out the firmware update for us, so there's no longer needed to send the unit to France. This should have been offered from the first minute after Sony announced the new firmware.
( Sony however still refused to authorize the update by us - users )

This issue shows clearly how wrongly Sony assessed the market's need and lost obviously money and costumer satisfaction on some totally useless support service.
The EX1 was truly welcomed and purchased by a lot of small businesses, where one week turnover (for a half an hour procedure) is simply an unacceptable condition.

What say you SONY???

Bill Ravens
September 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Got my EX1 back, today. New firmware, new rear panel and battery drain issue fixed. The paperwork I got back from Sony Service confirmed all the problems i reported(backfocus issue, battery drain overnite, silkscreen labels wearing off)

Haven't had time to check the backfocus yet, but, the image seems sharper and focusing seems snappier.

Taran Reese
September 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Got my EX1 back from the LA service center today. Brought it in asking for the new firmware, the battery drain fix, a remote control that never worked, and a general cleaning/checkup. Got it back a week later.

The tech notes indicate that they:

- replaced the lens(!)
- firmware update
- new power supply circuit boards
- new rear cabinet panel
- new remote
- new mic holder and screws

My unit serial number is in the lower 400's and came with firmware 1.02. Other than the new menu options, don't notice a change in image quality. Never noticed any vignetting before the repairs. The new rear panel looks a little Franken-bolted, but otherwise seems solid.

All said, I'm glad I took it in while the warranty was still valid. Hopefully future firmware updates will be free and user-installable.

Steven Thomas
September 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Replaced the lens....???
Why, did you mention there was a problem?... hmmmm

Dave Morrison
September 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Welcome to the club. I'm on my second lens.

Sebastien Thomas
September 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Did you sense a change in the feeling of the new lense ? Maybe it's less "loose" than the original one for the zoom ?

Taran Reese
September 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I didn't notice any lens issues before the repairs, and the only lens item I asked the tech to look at was backfocus adjustment. The Sony engineer called and told me he was replacing the lens, but we had some language barriers that made it hard for me to understand why it needed to be replaced. I'll be shooting some tests this weekend to see if the new lens makes a visible difference. It doesn't feel any firmer.

Dave Morrison
September 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Actually, I was wrong earlier. I'm on my third lens! The original lens had some crud inside it so they replaced it along with the ND filter set. That replacement lens stopped focusing to infinity (manual or auto) so it went back again. The third lens has been fine and I never noticed any mechanical differences between them in terms of focus feel.

Ronn Kilby
October 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Sent in my Ex1 for 1.11 firmware update. I expected to pay $100 plus shipping. Boy was I surprised. Got a fax saying 100 + 20 handling + 23.50 shipping + 19.40 insurance. (I sent it to them FedEx 2 day with $8000 insurance for $7.19 total.) For a grand total of 172.20

It said if I did nothing within 5 days, they'd ship it back and charge me one hour ($130) plus shipping, tax and insurance TOTAL $182.20

If I "decline" the estimate, it's even better. TWO HOURS diagnostic (apparently it takes a long time to do nothing to the camera) for a total of $302.90!

This is absurd. I may have to Twitter this one.

Juan Martinez
October 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
In the US, there is no charge for the firmware itself, but there is a charge for labor by the service depot (charges are less than the normal hourly rate) plus inbound shipping if required. Version 1.11 requires multiple installs in a predetermined sequence. If the upgrade is not performed correctly the camera may become inoperative... Therefore, in spite of any rumors, Sony did not envisioned user upgrade.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager
Sony Electronics

Tom Roper
October 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Thank you Juan for courageously representing Sony's postion.

I'm sincerely outraged for Ronn. If Sony needs to charge for labor, why not state the labor amount rather than conceal it inside inflated bogus charges for shipping, handling and insurance? It's not ethical.

I also disagree with the characterization of the upgrade procedure. I performed it myself. It was not beyond my skills as a user. The upgrade process was successful following the straightforward instructions. Why not put a disclaimer on it, that the owner would have to pay the repair charges if the process went wrong?

It would be a much more environmentally green approach to repair the few cameras that got bricked by their owners, than wasting time, fuel and energy to transport these cameras needlessly.

The policy motives are not logical, nor consistent with concerns for the customer or the environment.

The EX1 is a good camera. The corporate policy makes me want to break from Sony. When or if Canon responds to the marketplace, the way things stand now I probably will.

/rant_off