View Full Version : How do you say SxS

Paul Jefferies
August 15th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Silly question maybe, but how do you say SxS? is it "S times S" or "SXS"? I know how to type it, but not how to say it (and when talking to techie people I like to sound like I know what I'm talking about!)

Glen Vandermolen
August 15th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Say it "Sexxxy!!"

Actually, I say S-X-S, sometimes S-X, but I'm not sure everyone else does.

Ian Briscoe
August 15th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I think it's "S by S"

Ian

Steven Thomas
August 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Ian is right. It's "S by S"

Paul R Johnson
August 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
it was "S by S" on a promo DVD a manufacturer sent me.

Steve Phillipps
August 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Stupid name "S by S" but that's what I've been told too! I think there should be an industry-wide memo sent round to make averyone call it "XS" or something!

Ian Briscoe
August 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Or, given their price..."$ x $"

And with the release of the 32gb card maybe "$ x $ x $"

Ian

Noah Kadner
August 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I first thought it was 'S. X. S.' or Sexus.... But yes it's officially 'S by S.'

Noah

John Peterson
August 15th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Oh? I just thought it was just pronounced "SS" like in the abbreviation for Schutzstaffel.

John

Louis Maddalena
August 15th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I think it's "S by S"

Ian

Thats how I always said it but wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying :)

Don Greening
August 15th, 2008, 10:15 AM
But no one has asked what "S by S" actually stands for. In case you all were curious, it's an abbreviation for "Sony by SanDisk".

And that info is straight from the horse's mouth: a Sony rep.

- Don

Serena Steuart
August 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
How do you order timber from your hardware store? Say, something 2 inches thick and 4 inches wide -- you write L feet of 2 x 4, spoken as 2 by 4. So "S by S" is quite consistent with that common convention.

Don Greening
August 16th, 2008, 11:51 AM
How do you order timber from your hardware store? Say, something 2 inches thick and 4 inches wide -- you write L feet of 2 x 4, spoken as 2 by 4.

That's absolutely correct. In this case, however, the word "by" is not there to convey a set of dimensions but is, in fact, to communicate who the manufacturer of the cards is.

Sony - (made) by - SanDisk.

- Don

John Peterson
August 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM
But no one has asked what "S by S" actually stands for. In case you all were curious, it's an abbreviation for "Sony by SanDisk".

And that info is straight from the horse's mouth: a Sony rep.

- Don

Thanks for clearing that up. I would have guessed Spoils by Sony.

John

Leonard Levy
August 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm in favor of calling it an S2 card.

Jamie Allan
August 20th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I've been told that it stands for 'Side by Side' due to the arrangement inside the card...cant say I've ever heard 'Sony by Sandisk' from any of the sony techs I speak to... I'll ask the European product manager next time I see him, but its not the kind of question I'm gonna send to him at 10am :)