View Full Version : Switching Recording Modes on the Fly

Colin Levy
August 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Hey there, I have a quick question. I shoot pretty much all my stuff at 24f, so I haven't tried this out. But is it okay to mix shooting modes on the same tape?

Like, what if I wanted to nab a couple shots at 60i (for slow-motion), go back to 24 for a few more shots, and then switch back to 60i or maybe even 30f?

Is this problematic? What'll happen during capture? (I generally use "Capture Now" in FCP)

I've had no problems whatsoever capturing 24f and 30f material, but I've never mixed modes on shots that are back-to-back. I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Thanks a bunch!

--Colin

Louis Maddalena
August 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I don't believe you would have a problem. I have done this a few times on FCP and have not run into a problem yet. I would say that it probably depends on the the speed of your processors, hard drives, and capture devices. You may want to test it around your house with some short shots of family friends and random objects.

Good Luck
Louis Maddalena

Eric Weiss
August 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I mix them all of them time as part of my regular workflow. I use Sony Vegas.

Tripp Woelfel
August 15th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Should not be a problem as I understand it as the 24f mode is really wrapped in a 30 frame wrapper.

At least that's what I've read.

Bill Pryor
August 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
If you use FCP's HDV 1080P24 capture mode and edit in the same timeline, there are 24 discrete frames per second, no pulldown. If you capture the 24p footage in a 60i setting and edit in the corresponding timeline, it's going to add pulldown, I think. And you'll have to render before playing. I would set up a separate project for the 60i capture.

Colin Levy
August 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Hmm, cool.

I tested the capture using the HDV 1080P24 preset and checked the box that says, "new clip on timecode break". Seemed to work great. The 60i clip that was nested between two 24p clips read correctly as 60i.

That was surprisingly simple! Thanks for your help.

--Colin