View Full Version : Why Dont CANON produce VTR's

Robert Bec
August 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I know if i capture 50i any vtr can do the job of playing it but what if i want to capture in 25F what then i have to use my camera as a VTR

Rob

Philip Williams
August 18th, 2008, 06:40 AM
If you don't want to get an HV20 or HV30 to use as a capture deck, you can look at the very latest Sony VTRs. Since Sony has moved to progressive scan on their newest 24/25P camcorders, they've finally produced VTRs compatible with the format.

Chris Hurd
August 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Yes, the VTR you want is the Sony HVR-M35. Otherwise just use a Canon HV series camcorder as a deck.

Petri Kaipiainen
August 19th, 2008, 12:21 AM
VTRs end up being more expencive than cameras, even if they use the same tape mechanisms. For that reason there is no point making them, or for people to buy them. A cheap cam works both as a deck, AND as a spare cam...

Jonathan Shaw
August 19th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Unless your shooting a heap of tapes, they are more reliable and faster with loading and jogging etc.

But I reckon you have to be shooting alot or wanna burn some tax dollars!

Robert Bec
August 19th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I need a deck because i also use the larger tapes and i guess canon dont produce cameras that use the larger tapes so now i have just realized why they dont make decks

Rob

Bill Pryor
August 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM
If you work in an editing facility with clients in and out all the time, you really need a deck. I've often edited with 20 or 30 different tapes, switching back and forth throughout the day to go to certain shots. Trying to use a camera as a deck is slow and cumbersone, and unless it's a DSR250 or something like that, it won't take standard size cassettes. However, if you're just editing your own stuff on your own and don't have to look like a poster child for editing efficiency, then using the camera is OK.

If you're using FCP, and capture in large chunks, with the DV detect on, then you don't put all that much wear and tear on the mechanism. This is what I do now, and I capture in 20 minute chunks. FCP displays every start and stop as a separate clip, even though the footage is actually one big 20 minute piece. You could do entire tapes if you want, but I like to keep the pieces to 20 minutes so I can save the files to DVD to store with the job files, narrations, music, etc.