View Full Version : URGENT: DVD duplication

John Stakes
August 18th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hello All,
I am currently duplicating 3 discs for a client.

Here is my setup:
Nero StartSmart 6.3.1.11
Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
PC
Samsung 20x SATA
Windows XP 64-bit

Here is my problem:
I just made 100 copies of disc one using Memorex DVD-R with no problem. When I try copying disc two, it sais the image is burned successfully, but then when I try to make copies to blank discs, it gives me errors such as "command sequence error" and "could not perform starttrack." "Burn process failed." I have tried burning at 4x 6x and 8x.

Is there something I can do different? I am working on a deadline.

Help and direction greatly appreciated.

-JS

Trond Saetre
August 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
"Burn process failed."
I have had this error message several times, but it has only been caused by faulty discs.
Not sure about the other error messages you mentioned.

Were these discs from the same package as those you used the first round? If not, maybe those you got for disc 2 were faulty?

Maybe try to reinstall Nero and see if this helps you?

Pete Cofrancesco
August 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
A while back I had similar errors, ended up that the dvd burner had worn out. I replaced it, problem solved.

John Stakes
August 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
yes all the first batch for disc one was the same. Then for disc two I opened up a new batch. Same brand same model.

as far as the burner, I purchased it about two months ago. I have run less than 200 discs through it, over the period of a couple weeks. I will try a new batch...if that doesn't work, I will purchase a new burner tomorrow and try that.

thanks for the responses so far...keep em coming please!!

EDIT: there seems to be nothing wrong with the burner itself, I decided to skip the DVDs for now and I am duplicating CDs. Everything is going smoothly. Also a note about the DVD issue. I looked at the information on it, and it is 1 session, but 5 tracks. I don't know if this is necessary info, but thought I would include it.

Pete Cofrancesco
August 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Then the drive is probably ok, could be something about that disc. What exactly is on it? If its software or a commercial movie they sometimes can be written in such a way that it can't be copied. If its just video you could re-encode or ask the client to make another copy for you.

Chris Davis
August 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Ok, after working for a few years in software support, I have to ask: Did you reboot the computer?

A reboot will fix a multitude of problems.

John Stakes
August 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hello Pete,
this is just simple video. I asked the client for another copy and unfortunately this is the only one they had. How would I go about re-encoding? Won't that diminish the quality?

Hello Chris,
I am going to try the reboot as soon as I finish this round of CDs.

Pete Cofrancesco
August 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hello Pete,
this is just simple video. I asked the client for another copy and unfortunately this is the only one they had. How would I go about re-encoding? Won't that diminish the quality?

mpeg streamclip
Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows (http://www.squared5.com/)

you can extract various formats the least destructive would be demux to m2v

John Stakes
August 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Thankyou for the link. When I return to the studio, this is my to do list:

1) Restart the machine
2) Try a different batch of DVDs
3) Try a different burner
4) Attempt re-encode of information

Thankyou all so far for the great responses...

Also if it would help if I posted the error log, I can do that.

John Stakes
August 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM
1) failed
2) failed

additional info:
used read buffer goes from 29%, to 28%, to 0%...then stutters once, then "burn process failed."

previous error log attached.

UPDATE: Got one of the DVDs to work. Thankyou Pete! I used the mentioned software and converted the video to a .mpg, and then brought it into Encore and created a new Master. So that takes care of that.

But there is one last disc that I need to duplicate, and Streamclip won't recognize it, which leads me even more towards believing something is wrong with the disc itself. When attempting to burn, it tells me the image was created successfully, but then as soon as it tries to burn, "burn process failed."

I am truly grateful for the help everyone, if anyone has a suggestion for this last disc, let me know. Otherwise, I am going to take it to someone perhaps more knowledgeable in the field and see if they can restore this disc, or at least handle the duplication.

-JS

John Stakes
August 22nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hello all, it seems my thread has lost its' spark! Anyhow....

Final update:

All the discs were successfully duplicated! For the final disc, I took it to the studio (the larger one) and burned it on my apple (i was going to say mac, but apple sounds funnier!). There was a particular process I followed that I got from research, and it took 30 minutes to an hour to complete, but in the end, I had a fresh image of the disc! I took this and made a new master copy, bingo!

Thanks again to everyone for this help. One more happy client!

-JS

Pete Cofrancesco
August 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
glad to hear you found a way. there are always these weird glitches that usually happen when dealing with someone else's stuff thats out of your normal work flow.