View Full Version : ? for those with Epson R1800/800

Mark Kang
August 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Are there any problems with printing on the Taiyo Yuden watershields? I was reading a post on some random forum and the guy said the pigment ink would smear easily. He also went on to say that they were scratching when the printer ejected the DVD and that they scratched easily. What are you guys' experience with these and other printable DVD's that are worth noting? Also, can you gloss print on matte DVD's? Does the gloss optimizer waterproof these in any way?

Don Bloom
August 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I use 2 R200s for along long time andthe TY watershield are 100% the best playing and best looking dvds I have ever used.
I have not experienced any problems with scratching or smearing andI print a lot of full face discs.
I used to print matte finish Verbatims andspray them with a gloss finish and while they looked good I was always paranoid about getting spray on the playside plus the time it took to do made the switch to TYs very easy.

Don

Mark Kang
August 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for your input Don, however the R200's are dye based ink, not pigment based like the r800/1800/1900/2400. How does the detail compare from the matte to the glossy DVD's?

Don Bloom
August 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM
yeah I thought about that after I posted. Sorry bout that.

I love the detail the glossies give. It just looks finished.

Don

Pete Cofrancesco
August 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Are there any problems with printing on the Taiyo Yuden watershields? I was reading a post on some random forum and the guy said the pigment ink would smear easily. He also went on to say that they were scratching when the printer ejected the DVD and that they scratched easily. What are you guys' experience with these and other printable DVD's that are worth noting?I generally buy the cheapest bulk printable media (promedia) and never have had a problem. I've never used Taiyo Yuden watershields so I can't comment on their performance.

Also, can you gloss print on matte DVD's? Does the gloss optimizer waterproof these in any way?The R800 will NOT print gloss optimizer on dvd media.

Mark Kang
August 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I read that you cant print gloss optimizer on the dvd. Does anyone else know how the pigments hold up to water, they do well on paper

Vincent Oliver
August 27th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Pigment inks are 100% waterproof.

Check my reviews here

Digital Photography at photo-i (http://www.photo-i.co.uk)

Tom Roper
August 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I don't think pigment inks from my R1800 are 100% waterproof on printable disks, close but I could still get a little smudge with wet fingers after 24 hours.

Vincent Oliver
August 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Try a different brand of disks, the inks should be totally waterproof.