View Full Version : What's the best DVD encoder- authorising system?

Takeshi Fukushima
August 4th, 2003, 11:55 PM
We are a Tokyo based production, concidering DVD production for our personal works. We have tried different methods, but rather decided to outsource the Encoding/authoring. But we'd like to do it in house.
What would be the best professional Authorising - encoding sytem? What do you all use? We have both Windows and Mac.

We've used the DVD studio pro earlier version (1.0?) with the encoder in the system, but we find that the encoding in black areas of the picture was not so good. alot of pixels. Also we tried the Canopus Pro coder which was much more faster and cleaner. Is DVD studio pro 2.0 a much better version? Is Canopus still a better pick? oR is there other sytems?
Any advice welcomed,
Thanks in Advance.

Takeshi Fukushima
Evolution Cafe

Jake Russell
August 5th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Well dvdsp is a probably the best option for the money to be honest. Version 2 due for release any day now is a complete dif app. But even without dvdsp 2, there isn't anything to touch 1.5.2 for the price either.

You have to understand that dvdsp is the authoring app and not an encoder. All versions of dvdsp support 3rd party encoders so it's really up to you what you use. Procoder is a very good software encoder and if running on a dual Xeon then all the better speed wise. It is known that QT export is not a very good encoder but is fast. Cleaner should never be mentioned on a dvd board and just kept for encoding other non-mpeg-2 formats. Compressor(comes with FCPro 4 and dvdsp 2) is also a good software option. Another mac option is BitVice(www.innobits.se).

You said in the title of the post, what is the 'best' but that really depends on how you define best. You may want to look at highend sonic systems if you have the budget, Scenarist(PC), Creator and Fusion(Mac). Sonic also do SD- series encoders. You'll need over 15-20K to start with really if you want to go the highend sonic route.

So basically, yes Procoder is a lot better than the QT encoder and for the money you wont beat dvdsp for features which you'll soon see when you find out the price of sonic systems. I guess soon to be released adobe encore is worth a mention but as it doesn't support scripting then there is no reason to leave dvdsp really.

Jake

Rob Lohman
August 11th, 2003, 07:11 AM
You have 4 things to do to get to a DVD:

1) encode the video into MPEG2

2) encode the audio into AC3

3) author the DVD

4) burn the DVD

Some applications can do all of these or a few and some can
do only one. Now I don't have knowledge of a lot of applications
but I can at least tell you a bit about them.

1) The current list for encoders seem to be: ProCoder (www.procoder.com), CCE (www.cinemcraft.com) and then TMPGEnc (www.tmpgenc.net). These are all standalone encoders. There might be other good ones (heard good things about MainConcept encoder) but haven't tried those out.

2) For a compatible NTSC disc you do need AC3 dolby digital audio encoding (doesn't have to be surround, maybe 2.0 stereo). Some authoring packages include these like DVD Architect from Sonice Foundry.

3) Lots of choices here from very simple (burning program Nero can do things) to the top of the line (Scenarist which professionals use) and anything inbetween like DVD Architect.

4) There are a couple of burning programs out there that can burn DVD images. Like Nero.

Jake Russell
August 11th, 2003, 07:24 AM
2) Not totally true. You can use PCM audio no problem on discs.

4) I wouldn't use Nero. You'd be better off with Toast on mac or Gear Pro ME on pc. Plus if you want pro stuff then you will need the ability to write to DLT. I only ever use dvd-r for testing and proofing. All masters are sent off on DLT(s) to the rep house.

Also: 1) Highend cards can encode from tape not a file. 3) you may want to get a dvd recorder and offer a reduced rate straight transfer option also for business clients who just want a vhs tape transfered etc.

If you've already got dvdsp, why get DVD Architect?

Jake

Rob Lohman
August 11th, 2003, 07:43 AM
I agree with if you have something (that works [for you]) why get
something else. I was merely pointing out things that exist in the
world (there is a lot more ofcourse).

After reading your remark on PCM I thought you were wrong. I
looked it up, however and see I was mixing things up with MPEG
audio. You are correct that you can also use PCM besides AC3.
My appologies for saying otherwise.

I thought PCM was only allowed on PAL DVD's [to be compliant]
but that is MPEG audio and not PCM. Thanks for the correction.

Jake Russell
August 11th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Oh of course. Point away :-) I don't know too much about DVD Architect to be honest, features or workflow. It seems quite a nice little app from the website(for the money in pc land) but I cant seem to see support for DLT which is a big minus. Does it produce a VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folder? so you can use them to master with something else.

It's always good to push the use of Dolby streams over PCM audio but as you've we've decided you can use either.

Jake

Rob Lohman
August 11th, 2003, 08:19 AM
I hope to check out DVD Architect in a little while to see exactly
what it does and how it does it for myself, so I can't really answer
your question. I suspect it can make a DVD image which you can
burn.

DLT seems only supported in the higher end authoring packages
like Scenarist (which you are obviously familiair with). From what
I understand a lot of duplicating houses support DVD-R as well
besides DLT. That might get difficult if you want a dual-layer
disc, ofcourse. I also heard about some houses accepting a
harddisk with the files on it.

Is there a lot of choice of what DLT streamer you can get for
this? (because I only use em for backup on our servers)

Takeshi Fukushima
August 11th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks All for your advice. I guess there is no one easy way to go. We do not plan to be spending 15-20k in our gear either.

There are alot of things we have to look into and try out. And I'd personally have to learn more about the DVD system as well. We'll see how it goes.
Will report when we find out our optimum solution.

Takeshi

Jake Russell
August 11th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Hi Rob,

Another similar but cheaper pc app: http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html

Yes DLT is a bit limited but not totally on pc. ReelDVD up on Sonic systems supports DLT. Gear Pro ME (http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/mastering/index.cfm) is a very useful tool also. You have to use DLT for dvd-9 there is no other way. Unless like you say you supply files on a HD but then you will be charged an authoring charge.

Yep duplicating houses do take dvd-r and quite afew replication houses do also. I would not advise this(especially with dlts being so cheap these days) but if you do replicate from dvd-r then always send at least 2 discs. If they are a big house they may tell you that they cant press from a disc cause it has errors so be one step ahead and send 2 or more on brand name media.

Takeshi said they have macs and pcs, as I do, so basically can use a combo of tools already at hand to get powerful, interactive, great quality dvds. Although I'd say upgrade dvdsp 1. Procoder mpeg-2 encoding plus dvdsp authoring is a very powerful combo and tough to beat for the money(you cant). You can write dvd-r and dlt out of dvdsp but Toast is cheaper than gear pro ME if you cant or fancy a drag and record option. I just had to point out that dvdsp isn't the encoder and if you use macs and pcs you have far more options.

Yes Takeshi there is a real easy way to go. Upgrade dvdsp. Use procoder to encode (or compressor if you have fcpro4 or dvdsp2). Get martin sitters book, dvd studio pro visual quickpro guide. Get a dlt4000 from ebay or somewhere. You're all done and have lots of people to help you on the boards if needed. Lots cheaper than 15K also :-)

Jake

Oh and it's really handy to have an external firewire HD and macdrive(software) for getting those files from pc to mac or vica versa. Still under 15K, well under $500 probably give or take a HD ;-)

Gerald Lee
September 11th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Ac3 audio is much more compatible if you use dvd-r media, plus it compresses well. My standalone dvd player couldn't read the raw pcm, but it worked with an ac3. Also besweet's ac3 encoding has some problems, I had to use Sonic Foundry's Soft Encode to make the most compatible ac3 files. DVD Maestro is a good authoring program if you can find it. Apple bought them out so they will probably release some good stuff on the Mac.

If you have 20 thousand dollars, you can go get Sonic Scenarist. DVD lab is a great program for its price.

Jake Russell
September 12th, 2003, 11:08 AM
I'd agree that AC-3 is the way to go if you can. I doubt that your dvd player cant reat PCM audio as it has to to be legal. If it cant I'd let the dvd forum know & the dvd community as it is the only player out there that cant. Your disc might not of played for several reasons and maybe cause PCM audio took up more bandwidth than the AC-3 files which is common but doesn't mean the player cant read PCM audio.

Yep you can still get DVD Spruce Maestro on ebay for around $3000. It's a pc app although apple bought it as mentioned.

You'll need a bit more than that for a Sonic Scenarist system than that too :-)

Jake

Gints Klimanis
September 12th, 2003, 01:11 PM
>My standalone dvd player couldn't read the raw pcm,

Gerald,

What was the format of your pcm ? Was it anything other than stereo, 16-bit 48000 ? I've been using pcm for my disks because it was supposedly more compatible than MPEG 1 Layer 2. I haven't made it to AC3 yet.

Thanks.