View Full Version : Stand alone DVD recorder...which one?

Mike Meyerson
August 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM
I'm looking into buying a stand alone DVD recorder to run off of my Avid. I just want high quality image recording, no bells and wistles needed, besides fire-wire input. Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Sony RDR-GX7.

Thanks in advance!

MIKE

www.GetawayTheMovie.com

Rob Lohman
August 11th, 2003, 08:38 AM
I don't know of anyone who has such a device. If you do happen
to pick one up, do let us know how it works for you!

Mike Meyerson
August 11th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Rob...

I ordered the Sony RDR-GX7. I'll let you know how it is.

Gints Klimanis
August 11th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Mike,

I would be *most* curious if this recorder allows a Firewire -> component output thru function that does not engage the MPEG2 encoder/decoder. I would love to have a way to watch my camcorder output in full component output glory.

Mike Meyerson
August 27th, 2003, 11:54 AM
I've got the sony up and running. I'm glad I bought it. The dvd quality is good and I can output straight from my avid. NO MORE ENCODING!!!

It does work as a transcoder. I havn't tried the component output, but I would imagine if composite works, component would as well.

Gints Klimanis
August 27th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Mike,

A few of us are interested in a high quality Firewire -> component output converter. Would you be nice enough to check the manual and verify that this sort of pass through function doesn't engage the MPEG2 encoder? I agree with you that if composite works in this way, component would also function in a similar manner. A good test sequence would be material with a lot of content moving in various parts of the frame.

Thanks !!

Gints