View Full Version : Dual Layer DVD

Pete Cofrancesco
September 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I've been doing video for a number of years and never knew about them until recently. Looks like the media is more expensive and they take longer to burn but twice the amount of capacity is very nice. Anyone use them and if so what has your experience been? Compatibility issues or longevity or burning problems?

Tripp Woelfel
September 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Been around for a few years. I have used them very infrequently without problems but others describe them as so fraught with unreliability that they wouldn't use them if there was a gun put to their head. I haven't used them in a year.

Problem for me is that I don't think there's any printable version of D/L media. There might be, but I just don't know where to get it.

Martin Mayer
September 8th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I would describe them as so fraught with unreliability that I wouldn't use them if there was a gun put to my head. :-)

A twin (single-layer) DVD set has so many advantages by comparison, especially if for delivery to the public, with their unknown playback systems, and you DON'T want the hassle of "it doesn't play" or "it keeps skipping".

I believe Verbatim do printable versions.

John Estcourt
September 8th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I think the verbatim dual layer discs are fairly reliable and are as compatable as you will ever get however it would be a brave person who produced 500 odd discs at £36 for 25 only to discovered people had problems playing them. Ive often been close to trying it as the shows i film often run up to 3 hrs in length but i have always chickened out and gone the two disc box set route as by using TY watershield -r discs ive had zero rejections (so far).
Changing the subject slightly it seems incredible to me that people are having a go at bluray (on some forums)over player compatability with BD-r when we are still discussing how to get dvd-r/dvd+r to play on all standalone players.
personaly I think bluray is much further ahead than dvd was at a similar point in its life and ive had almost zero problems producing bd-r discs that play( and i can fit 3 hrs on a disc)..now all we need is cheap media and players.

Pete Cofrancesco
September 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I was reading some where that most commercial movie use Dual Layer, so I was thinking if its good enough for them then why not for us? But I've heard that commercial dvds are created using a different process, pressing them I can't see that making them more compatible but maybe more reliable without burning errors from consumer burners.

I think I might get some and experiment, because I often have projects such as dance recitals or weddings that can go over 2hrs and its more time consuming for me to try to edit it down to fit or the extra cost, time of burning two dvds, the packaging, and shipping.

Marshall Levy
September 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I tried them a few years ago but had numerous client playback problems. To alleviate the issues, I simply just use more than one 4.7G disc instead.

John Estcourt
September 9th, 2008, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=Pete Cofran;930973]I was reading some where that most commercial movie use Dual Layer, so I was thinking if its good enough for them then why not for us? But I've heard that commercial dvds are created using a different process, pressing them I can't see that making them more compatible but maybe more reliable without burning errors from consumer burners.

QUOTE]

hi Pete, i think i am right in saying that the problem with DVD-R and DVD DL-R discs is that instead of being pressed from a glass master the image is burnt onto a dye layer and depending on the quality this dye this then depends on how reflective the layer is.
with dual or double layer discs you then have to have two dye layers.
this is why you cant burn discs at the same max bit rate as commercially pressed discs without players skipping.(someone please correct me if im wrong).
I also believe that DVD-R /DVD+R and then DVD DL etc were never part of the original spec for dvd players ..so although modern players should play them all fine not all will and unfortunately some people play dvds on the strangest or oldest things.
check out this usefull site and see the problems players have with dl discs (hope its ok to link to this site)
DVD Player and Blu-ray Player Compatibility List (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers)
you can also check out media compatability ...interesting reading..cheers john
oh yeh forgot to mention the reason for greater compatability with commercial discs is because the players see them as DVD ROM (again please correct me if wrong here) thats why lots of people buy DVD+r and set the book type as DVDROM this works for DL too but Im still not confident enough to produce lots of them.

Pete Cofrancesco
September 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Its hard to find definitive answers on the subject. I've read DVD+DL is more compatible than DVD-DL and vise versus. When it switches to the second layer it causes a long delay that can make it appear to be defective. DVDSP allows you to control where the switch happens so its not in the middle of a movie.

One thing that is clear is that there are compatibility issues with old players. So I can see why many have decided to stay away from DL to avoid the head aches associated with them.

DVD+R DL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR_DL)
DVD-R DL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R_DL)

Martin Mayer
September 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I was reading some where that most commercial movie use Dual Layer, so I was thinking if its good enough for them then why not for us?

Because they're replicated (pressed), not duplicated (burnt).

Shawn McCalip
September 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
.Problem for me is that I don't think there's any printable version of D/L media. There might be, but I just don't know where to get it.

Try looking at Discmakers.com

They're a bit on the expensive side at $1.29 per disc, but they are printable and the least expensive I could find.

As far as compatibility goes, I just sent out a couple dozen of these DL-DVDs about a week ago. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I haven't heard any complaints or issues about them not playing. However, I printed a warning on the case label and on the disc itself stating that it may not play in all DVD players. I tested my master disc in as many DVD players as I could find. For the most part, I've found that any DVD player less than 2 years old seems to play these perfectly fine, as do all computer DVD drives. I only ran into problems on DVD players that were 5 years old or older.

Bill Koehler
September 10th, 2008, 05:31 AM
As far as compatibility goes, I just sent out a couple dozen of these DL-DVDs about a week ago. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I haven't heard any complaints or issues about them not playing. However, I printed a warning on the case label and on the disc itself stating that it may not play in all DVD players. I tested my master disc in as many DVD players as I could find. For the most part, I've found that any DVD player less than 2 years old seems to play these perfectly fine, as do all computer DVD drives. I only ran into problems on DVD players that were 5 years old or older.

I recently shot a concert at my church.
So far I've made close to a hundred disks.

The first batch were 25 TDK brand DVD+R DL. I got lots of complaints.
The 1-to-8 disk copier machine I used to burn them had an option to burn then compare, which is what I did. So I know all the disks going out were 100% readable.

One lady brought her disk back to me, telling me exactly were it started to skip.
So I took it home, stuck it in my home player, a 5+ year old Sony 5 disk carousel player and...it played just fine.

In any case, I went to DVD-R disks, extra compression of the video be damned.
The complaints have gone to zero.

My own opinion is that after the DVD-R/+R fiasco of the 1990's, the computer drive manufacturer's got the memo about needing to support universal compatibility. The player manufacturer's didn't. My mom and an Aunt+Uncle have players newer than mine. If I make a DVD-R disk it will play in one, but not the other. And if I make a DVD+R disk, the situation is exactly reversed.

And I think there is enough variation in media from different manufacturer's that again, you just can't ever be 100% certain that you won't have problems at the customer's end. You don't have to look around very long to find that many swear by some media manufacturer's whereas others get sworn at. And you add in the fact that a Dual Layer disk by definition is a more complicated structure, and the compatibility problems multiply.

Which, to say the least, greatly devalues the potential benefits of Dual Layer.
Increasingly, I make the Dual layer version for myself and Single Layer for everyone else.

John Estcourt
September 10th, 2008, 06:24 AM
hi Bill, from my own experience if you want to use DL discs may i suggest you use verbatim +r discs as these are definately the best DL you can buy (if you can get them as there was a shortage a while ago here in the uk)also setting the layer break correctly is essential and set the book type to DVD Rom.
interestingly I never use any dvd media other than TY watershield arguably the best media you can buy but TY dont seem to make DL discs perhaps they think its not worth the trouble.
cheers john

Tripp Woelfel
September 10th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Try looking at Discmakers.com

They're not a manufacturer, rather they are primarily a replication house. Although they should know their disks, there might be cheaper sources.

There are ways of identifying the media's manufacturer but I can't tell you how. You might try VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists (http://www.videohelp.com). If you can find the manufacturer, you might be able to find another source from manufacturer's retailer link page on their Web site.

Tripp Woelfel
September 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM
The first batch were 25 TDK brand DVD+R DL. I got lots of complaints.

Not surprised. I won't use anything but Verbatim or TY.

I got scars. You want to see 'em?

Bill Koehler
September 10th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I got scars. You want to see 'em?

Uhhh...there's a lot of things in this world I really don't need to know.... ;-)

Shawn McCalip
September 11th, 2008, 01:04 AM
They're not a manufacturer, rather they are primarily a replication house. Although they should know their disks, there might be cheaper sources.

No, they don't manufacture discs, but they're a great reseller for discs and supplies. I have yet to find a place to buy blank media from at a better price. Also, their service and sales reps are very polite and knowledgeable.

The brand of the DL-DVD-Rs I bought from them is Ridata. I've heard of them before, but I don't know what kind of reputation they have. So far, I don't have any complaints!

I still wonder what the difference is between the +R and -R discs. I've had nothing but horrible problems when I've used DVD+R and DL DVD+R media. With those kinds of discs, it seems that they're only usable to store data that's used on computers. For anything used for playback in set-top DVD players, I always go with the -R media.

Garrett Low
September 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I've used Verbatim inkject printable DVD+R DL's for well over 300 discs sent out to buyers. In all I've only had one person complain and it must have been something for that burn cause the replacement disc worked great for her.

I always manually set the layer break and use ImageBurn to make the ISO and Burn it to the Disc.

Garrett

Tripp Woelfel
September 11th, 2008, 08:02 PM
The brand of the DL-DVD-Rs I bought from them is Ridata. I've heard of them before, but I don't know what kind of reputation they have.

The used to have a pretty good reputation about five or so years ago. Don't know if it still holds up.

There is no reason I know of to use +R media. Virtually every DVD player made will play -R disks. Using +R is asking for trouble.

Kevin Spahr
November 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I have been creating a number of dual layer DVDs of performances for local colleges consisting of two video tracks for dual angle playback.

The problem we have is that nobody seems to be able to duplicate the DVD from a disc or a disc image - each disc has to be burnt from studio pro.

Has anyone had a similar experience or better yet, a solution?

Ervin Farkas
November 6th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I have also tested several brands of dual layer disks a couple of years ago and decided to stay away from them - nothing but trouble.

My solution for zero playback compatibility complaints is TDK and Sony single layer DVD+R disks that I burn using the BITSETTING (aka booktype) option.

Blake Cavett
May 6th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I'm doing a search right now and came across this thread.

I've gone the DL route... and I'm not going to return. I recently gave a client 40 discs, all DL.

39 of them came back.

They had issues with skipping, freezing, etc. But they all played fine on my DVD player. It may not be a disc malfunction, but it's still my problem.

Ugh.

It's worth it just to split it up on to two discs and eat the cost of an extra disc and printer ink.

John Cash
May 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Funny that I stumbled on this thread. Im trying to burn a dual layer disc now of a wedding Im doing. The total package is 5.7 gig and this wa the first time I have tried a dual layer burn. As usuall with anything new you try in this bussiness its not working too well.
It took me 2 days to figure out why Studio Pro wouldnt burn my disc in dual layer. I was putting 'The Interview" in the DVD title menu. The actual media was '"interview". So I finally got all 5 clips on one dual layer printable DVD and I go to test it.
The ceremony is one hour and 4 minutes long. At 28 minutes it starts to pixalate and stops playing.
I may try the dual layer DVD-r because I just tried it on what ever discs I had laying around. If that doesnt work I will go to two discs.

But I dont see the problem with the media, I see the problem within this Final Cut studio set.

As with all editing software, it costs a lot and is full of bugs.

Can you imagine paying 1200-1500 dollars for a product that performs as bad as editing programs? Why do we put up with it? Why do you have to tweak every little thing?