View Full Version : Monopod for EX3

Matt Sturns
September 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Any suggestions for a monopod for the EX3? I was looking at the Bogen carbon fiber (max load 11 lbs.) but it would be great to have some sort of head on it. I cannot seem to find an adequate head. I shoot the EX3 with the big 60 battery and shotgun, and hopefully a the Sony hard drive w/ battery so I guess I am looking at a payload around 12 lbs?

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Matty S

Jamie Peters
September 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I am not happy with the single fixing screw for this large camera on a tripod so my advice re a monopod would be 'don't even think about' with a single 1/4 inch screw.
I have seen people using the HDV Z1 on a monopod but they are much smaller and lighter.

Steve Shovlar
September 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Get the manfrotto 561B. Its excellent.

YouTube - Bogen Manfrotto 561B Monopod (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FEbNmCxbz9g)

Leonard Levy
September 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM
ditto, on the bogen above and add a simple cheap bogen tilt head - don't remember the number - your choice with or without a quick release.
You can also get 2 cheap Bogen or Giotto sliding base plates and put one on your tripod and one on the monopod then you can go quickly between TRIPOD AND MONOPOD.

Get a fanny pack for the monopod also.

Matt Sturns
September 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM
thanks guys for the info. One question, on the site it says the load capacity is 8.8 lbs. With a battery, hard drive, mic, etc I am guessing the load capacity is too much?

Has anyone tried the Manfrotto 562B? It says it has a load capacity of 17.6 lbs which should be more than adequate. It looks as though the head is much different, though. Any advice? thanks for the current info, much appreciated:)

Matty S

Leonard Levy
September 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
get both and send one back

John Hedgecoe
September 11th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Try this, and put the head of your choice on it...

Bogen / Manfrotto | 685B NeoTec Monopod Deluxe | 685B | B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387806-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_685B_685B_NeoTec_Monopod_Deluxe.html)

33 lb load capacity, and the neotek design makes adjustments sooooooo easy.

Andrew Hollister
September 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
What about that new Sachtler Soom system? You can buy the individual bits... and max payload on the extender pole / monopod is 19.8 pounds

sachtler: Tripods (http://www.sachtler.com/index.php?id=652&exp_pid=590&exp_cid=38&exp_mode=product&exp_flag=description)

Sachtler | S2005-0001 Soom Tube | S2005-0001 | B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544370-REG/Sachtler_S2005_0001_S2005_0001_Soom_Tube.html) $489

Maybe expensive but it could be the start to a nice bit of kit

John Peterson
September 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Try this, and put the head of your choice on it...

Bogen / Manfrotto | 685B NeoTec Monopod Deluxe | 685B | B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387806-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_685B_685B_NeoTec_Monopod_Deluxe.html)

33 lb load capacity, and the neotek design makes adjustments sooooooo easy.

That's probably a much better option than the 561B. I have a 561B and I hate it. Using a VX2000 it wobbles all over the place resulting in camera shake with little provocation. I consider it a total waste of money and I only bought it because of the generally positive writeups. Seems best suited for a compact DV pocket camera. A cheap thin tripod would work better.

John

Matt Sturns
September 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
thanks for the info guys...got some research 2 do...

Leonard Levy
September 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM
" Using a VX2000 it wobbles all over the place resulting in camera shake with little provocation."

How are you using it? Do you have a head on it? I use it for handheld work braced in fanny pack. No opportunity for wiggle, Can't imagine it.

Maybe you are standing up and trying to hold steady shots from standing height. I wouldn't use it that way I don't think.

I wouldn't want anything heavier.

Lenny

Roger Shealy
September 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Bogen 561b is good. A little heavy, but a good system if you need to move, pan, and tilt.

John Peterson
September 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
" Using a VX2000 it wobbles all over the place resulting in camera shake with little provocation."

How are you using it? Do you have a head on it? I use it for handheld work braced in fanny pack. No opportunity for wiggle, Can't imagine it.

Maybe you are standing up and trying to hold steady shots from standing height. I wouldn't use it that way I don't think.

I wouldn't want anything heavier.

Lenny

When I use it that way (like a steady stick along with a fanny pack) it works fine, but so do most monopods. But, yes it is in fact designed to hold steady shots from standing height and in that respect it fails miserably. Yes. it does in fact have a head on it.

But in fairness, I checked my monopod and it is in fact the 560B and not the 561B. They look the same. Not sure if there is a difference:

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 560B Fluid Video Monopod with 234RC Head (Black): Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-560B-Section-Fluid-Monopod/dp/B000M19LES)

John

Dan Chung
September 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I would go for the Velbon Neo-pod 8, Velbon Tripods (http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/monopods.html) which I think can also be bought as the Miller monopod.

Far, far better than the manfrotto IMHO, is actually pretty much a single leg of a Miller DS20 tripod. Light and incredibly sturdy but not as expensive as a Gitzo of similar build. I can use it to support my EX1 or DSR500 with no problems.

Dan

Leonard Levy
September 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I can see it wouldn't be that steady free standing , but are any of them. I usually brace it against my body to triangulate for standing shots & that works fine. Never tried anything sturdier in a monopod. I don't want anything heavier.

Steve Shovlar
September 13th, 2008, 02:45 AM
When I use it that way (like a steady stick along with a fanny pack) it works fine, but so do most monopods. But, yes it is in fact designed to hold steady shots from standing height and in that respect it fails miserably. Yes. it does in fact have a head on it.

But in fairness, I checked my monopod and it is in fact the 560B and not the 561B. They look the same. Not sure if there is a difference:

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 560B Fluid Video Monopod with 234RC Head (Black): Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-560B-Section-Fluid-Monopod/dp/B000M19LES)

John

Big difference between the two. the 561B is much sturdier and has a proper head on it as well with quick release plate. The 560B is a lightweight bit of kit, not int he same league.

Roger Shealy
September 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
One of the nice features of the 561b is it can go up to 7' high, which is nice. You'll need some type of remote for that height.

John Peterson
September 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Big difference between the two. the 561B is much sturdier and has a proper head on it as well with quick release plate. The 560B is a lightweight bit of kit, not int he same league.

The problem isn't the head, it's the rest of it that is wobbly and flimsy. The monopod was designed with a "fluid foot" for panning and does not need a "proper head" for panning.
Is the head the only difference? Have you physically seen them side by side to verify that the telescoping sections and the foot are sturdier or fatter?

John

Steve Shovlar
September 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM
The problem isn't the head, it's the rest of it that is wobbly and flimsy. The monopod was designed with a "fluid foot" for panning and does not need a "proper head" for panning.
Is the head the only difference? Have you physically seen them side by side to verify that the telescoping sections and the foot are sturdier or fatter?

John

Well John I use the 561B every weekend for weddings and its rock solid. No "wobbles" at all and vert sturdily built. If I thought it was rubbish I wouldn't recommend it. The right balance of being light enough but strong enough, at the right price.

If you want something a bit better sactler have just released a monopod called "Soom". I use Satchler tripods and can highly recommend them, so if the Soom is the same build quality, and I have no reason to doubt it won't be, it will be an excellent monopod.

Roger Shealy
September 14th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Steve,

Have you developed any tricks to keep the 561b rock steady? It's stable on its own, but my breathing, swaying, and muscle twitches find their way onto the screen. I've heard others comment on the foot being too tight, but mine will just hold itself with a small camcorder vertical. Any small input and it will topple. I've tried tightening the foot more, but I think I've max'ed it out.

I really like the pod, I just can't keep it perfectly stable because I am not perfectly stable. I see it as a great improvement over hand held and much faster and convenient than a tripod. If I have time and space I'll go for the tripod every time.