View Full Version : Say hello to the new guy .... and of course a couple of ???

Philippe Gosselin
August 10th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Hi everybody,

Just got my GL2 this week and i gotta say that this is one mighty nice toy.

On to the questions :

Does anybody have a link or know a website that has a nice and comprehensive glossary about video terms. I'm new to this and a page that could give a hand on how and when to switch to manual control and adjust db gain, aperture and shutter speed would be of great help.

Second thing is after an hour or so of testing i got the message that the heads were dirty , tried to clean it with a DVM-12cld Sony cassette but when i rewind or forward while on playback mode i still get to see a mosaic -like image (there is even a screenshot of that in the manual to show you when the heads are dirty).

Is it normal ????

Thanks a bunch in advance for any comments/suggestions

Phil

Graham Bernard
August 10th, 2003, 10:59 PM
I've only used the Sony head cleaning tape once. This is after 50 tapes, countless goings backwards and forwards while capturing into Vegas 4, reviewing on site and using cammy as VCR to TV. You've just got your GL2 AND you're getting the mosaic and the Warning too - after only say 4 hours of usage? What can I tell that you aren't thinking yourself? Maybe others will be more convincing than I???

Please tell me where and under what conditions did you purchase said GL2? Is/was it new or secondhand? Was it fresh out of the box OR a display model? . . . . . .

Good to have you, almost, onboard. . . .

Keep us informed as to progress,

Grazie

Philippe Gosselin
August 10th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Thanks Graham for the reply,

Yes my friend it is brand new and out of the box. After reading your reply i decided to exchange it because this is ABSOLUTLY not normal .

Thanks again

Graham Bernard
August 11th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Philippe - Understood . . .

Now, real world explanations of technical stuff:

http://www.consumerdvreviews.com/glossary/

http://www.adobe.com/support/techguides/digitalvideo/dv_glossary/main.html

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/glossary/glossary.shtml

DON'T forget real world experience with OUR cammies here on this Forum. Do a search. I've learnt stacks and not a little humour thrown in too!!!

Grazie

Chris Hurd
August 11th, 2003, 12:34 AM
With any new camcorder, it's always a good idea to run a head cleaning cassette for a few seconds first thing out of the box, before you put in that first DV tape. Hope this helps,

Philippe Gosselin
August 11th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Wow

Thanks a lot guys ,
Thanks for the links Graham

And Chris , i did put the cassette right after the cam told me that the heads were dirty and it still looked mosaic-like when rewinding and forwarding. The manual suggest to repeat the cleanup process up to five times if necessay , so i did but still the same results. So i guess today it is gonna be "exchange time" ;)

Thanks again

Phil

Joshua Badour
August 11th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Seems like Canon is releasing quite a few awry GL2's these days, I've been noticing that...

Chris Hurd
August 11th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Philippe, when you exchange your camera, once you get the new one, run the head cleaning cassette one time briefly for about five seconds before putting in your first blank DV cassette. This should prevent the same problem from occuring again. Hope this helps,

Graham Bernard
August 11th, 2003, 07:55 AM
errrmmmm .. .Chris . . . I didn't do that . . . . did I do something I should have? Was I lucky? Am I doing something wrong carrying on? - I've had 50 tapes[approx] gone through, used a Sony head cleaner once when the XM2 asked for it.

Respect - Grazie

Philippe Gosselin
August 12th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Turns out i was just being a paranoïed freak , the camera is fine . The mosaic-like that i was experiencing was when i was rewinding and forwarding while on playback mode , turns out this is normal.

Thanks for all your input.

Phil

Graham Bernard
August 12th, 2003, 12:43 PM
. . . er yes . . that's correct . . .

Philippe Gosselin
August 12th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Well if I made you laugh that's at least that ;)

Graham Bernard
August 12th, 2003, 03:28 PM
I aint larfin' ! It was just a new one - that I didn't see coming . . .

Regards,

Grazie