View Full Version : Sennheiser K6 -> GL2 Question

Frank Ladner
August 15th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Hi guys!

If I were using a Beachtek DXA-6 and were to purchase a Sennheiser ME-66, would I still need to get the K6 powering module, or could I just hook straight to the DXA-6?

Thanks!

Graham Bernard
August 16th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Frank, the K6, as you know, is the power module, but it not just that. On the "tube" of the Sennheiser ME-66 is a a scew thread ready to take the K6 module. On the rear of the K6 is an XLR connection. Forgetting about the "power" sorce needed, can't see how one could "physically" connect the ME-66 to anything without the K6 . . . yeah?

Grazie

Ken Tanaka
August 16th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Yes, indeed, you will still need a K6 power module for your ME-66. The K6 also hosts some of the mic's preamp and bass roll-off circuitry. The good news is that the K6 is part of Sennheiser's modular system and is used to power the ME-65, ME-66 and ME-67 dynamic mic modules. So if you plan to add, say, a long lobar shotgun such as the ME-67 in the future your K6 will power that, too.

Graham Bernard
August 16th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Here's some tech-spec for you:

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/pdf/me66.pdf

Hope this helps too.

Grazie

Frank Ladner
August 17th, 2003, 05:39 PM
That cleared things up for me! Thanks, guys!

Frank Ladner
August 17th, 2003, 05:58 PM
So it looks like if I went with the Sennheiser K6P/ME66 combo, I couldn't use the Beachtek DXA-6, since it supplies 48v phantom, which the K6P does, and I can't see how that'd work together. Correct?

The K6/K6P output is balanced XLR, which would have to be converted to 1/8" miniplug to use with the GL2.
Does anyone know if the DXA-6's phantom power can be switched off, allowing a 'passive' connection? (It doesn't appear so in the description.) Or would I just have to go ahead and get the DXA-4P, which has 2 balanced XLR inputs, but no phantom supply, thus:

GL2 -> DXA-4P -> K6P -> ME66 -> Foam Windscreen (heh)

Will that work?

Again, thanks for the help!

,Frank

Aaron Koolen
August 17th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Hi Frank. The K6P doesn't *supply* the phantom power, it will *accept* phantom power. The standard K6 will *accept* phantom and also take a battery.

So your Beachtek DXA-6 will work as it will supply the phantom power to the K6P.

The DXA-6 should work fine with the Gl2 - their brochure even mentions the Gl1/Gl2 when talking about using the device.

If I were you I'd get the K6 module then you can battery power it or phantom power it - your choice.

The phantom power can be turned off - there is a "PH PWR ON" switch on the adapter.

Cheers
Aaron

Ken Tanaka
August 17th, 2003, 07:26 PM
The K6P is specifically designed to accommodate phantom power sources to mics. (The K6 supplies battery power to the mic.) So it will be compatible with the DXA-6.

The Beachtek connects to the miniplug on the GL2. The connections between the mic and Beachtek are the balanced portion.

Although foam windscreens offer good bump protection they are not very effective in attenuating wind noise in anything more than a 0.00567mph breeze. If you want a windscreen for outdoor use get a Rycote Softie for your ME-66. If you plan to use the mic on the camera get the short-hair version. If you plan to boom your mic get the long-hair.

Frank Ladner
August 17th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Aaron: Thanks! So in your opinion, I should get the K6 to keep options open as far having the capability of using phantom and battery. That sounds good.

Ken: I am looking into the Rycotes, which are a bit more expensive than I thought, but from how much I've recently read about them, I'm sure they're worth it. I will probably go with the short-haired version.

However, if I were to boom with this mic, would I need a shock absorber?

Neil Slade
August 17th, 2003, 09:31 PM
I've looked at all the wind socks out there, and I am SHOCKED at what is being charged for a relatively ridiculously simple bit of foam and fur.

Do what I did--

Get a fake lambs wool car seat cover. Fake fur. Cut a piece of it and sew it into a tube and pull it over your regular $25 foam wind sock.

The seat fur is EXACTLY the same material as used by the expensive wind sock suppliers and works exactly the same.

Okay, so it will take you 10 minutes to make.

Save $190 or more.

Neil

Ken Tanaka
August 17th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Frank,
Yes, if you use a mic with a boom you will need a shock mount to prevent handling noise from being transmitted to the mic.

Regarding furry windscreens, yes the best are expensive. But they are not just overpriced swatches of fuzz. In fact, there's quite a bit of engineering behind the Rycote Softies and Windjammers. The filaments of "fur" are patented and designed specifically to attenuate wind noise without coloring most of the key audible sound frequencies. The internal suspension is also patented to dampen the effects of the physical shocks that wind can present to a mic. Rycote actually won a technical Academy Award for its design.

If you're a hobbyist on a tight budget and not doing critical work you may be best served sticking with a foam windscreen. It's better than no windscreen at all. But, contrary to Neil's assertion, there is no comparison between a Rycote product and, say, a wool fleece seat cover. If you spend $400 on a good shotgun mic I can absolutely gaurantee that you will be able to hear the difference in performance between wool fleece and a Rycote product.

Aaron Koolen
August 17th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Frank, yeah that's what I would do (Well, *did* actually). I don't need phantom yet but who knows and I'd like to keep the option open. I think they're pretty close in price anyway, no?

Cheers
Aaron

Neil Slade
August 18th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Ken,

With all do respect- and I have a keen eye and ear being a professional musician and audio engineer with about 20 discs under my belt and 25 years experience in audio.

I would suggest as a research project people take a bit of their fake fur seat cover to their local professional film supply house- as I did-
and compare. Granted, there are many types of fake fur- however, I noted that the one I had from my car had an UNCANNY resemblance to the Rycote fur. My car seat material looked EXACTLY the same.

I'll eat my windsock if it was different stuff.

If the Rycote stuff is scientifically prepared, so is my poop.

(ha! just a little joke).

But seriously, I've looked at the insides of the fancy socks and zeppelins, and yes, it's a bit more than just fur and foam-- but not much.

This reminds me of the ongoing battle between 24 bit and 16 bit recording in the audio industry. Yes, there is a difference- but it is only discernable when you listen with a magnifying glass, and for the most part the difference is more academic than practical.

I find this analogous to the many VERY expensive pieces of photo equipment out there- and have observed that the differences are so slight when you start paying the big bucks for much special equipment- differences that will never be noticed by anyone in the end. Especially if you are using a camera that costs less than $50,000.

I think it is reasonable and NATURAL to expect a little wind noise on a soundtrack where you are filming in a place that is WINDY.

Where its only a little windy- I don't think you will notice any difference between good car seat fur and scientifically patented Rycote fur.

Thanks
Cheers
Neil

Neil

Graham Bernard
August 18th, 2003, 02:07 AM
1 - " . . but it is only discernable when you listen with a magnifying glass, " Love it love it love it . .. Can I use the same optical device instead of my very expensive Senni? Does it Zoom through? Does it link to the XM2 Optics - neat! A direct link from audio to optics . . . <wink>

2 - I'm all for DIY to keep costs down. Just rigged up a "Y" splitter formy Senni66 - I was going to be charged £60GBps for this - I did it with a soldering iron for >£10GBps!

3 - How much DOES a car seat cover cost?

Let the "Fur 'n Feathers Fly" - ooohhh FFF - is this a new email shorthand?

I'm going away now . . .I've really enjoyed reading this thread . . <wink>

Grazie

Graham Bernard
August 18th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Neil, just been reading this over at Rycote:

http://rycote.com/website/homepage/home.html

Just thought I'd offer this up as some form of tech-spec info. Jury still out? - I can't copmplain, I got my foamie and Dead Rat for free - a vidpro friend gave it to me .. . don't get cheaper than that.

Grazie

Neil Slade
August 18th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Yes, I've actually been to the Rycote site- but better yet-- I've had one in my hands.

What is really funny is their picture shows them on top of a secluded mountain top with a big furry sock-- and I'm just wondering--

What exactly are they recording anyway?

The scampering of mouse feet over the tundra?

The fluttering of a falcon's wings at 18,000 feet?

!

Technical awards are generally what companies do to pat themselves on the back- like the Oscars.

In all seriousness, the Rycote socks are probably quite good- but I, for one, do not try to shoot outdoor scenes when the wind is mixing up my cast members clothes with the sagebrush blowing by at 20 mph.

Neil the Practical

Graham Bernard
August 18th, 2003, 02:34 AM
****** Neil - Yer A Star ! ******

Grazie

Neil Slade
August 18th, 2003, 02:53 AM
The best windsocks actually come from Scotland, where the original founder of Rycote started in the back of a garage.

I got one of these Scottish Windpals (tm) a couple of years ago.

The advantage over the Rycotes is that these furry Scottish windbreakers have about 60 percent denser "fur" than the Rycotes and a very unusual snow white perpetually renewing cover. They also keep your microphone close by- so you never leave it anywhere. Its a miracle of modern engineering, something they haven't yet caught on down south in Stroud.

For a photo of my Scottish Windpal (tm) hooked up to my Seinheiser ME66 go here:
http://www.neilslade.com/gifs/ScottishWindpal.jpg

Neil

BTW What is everybody doing up so late anyway?

Graham Bernard
August 18th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Hah HAH!!! Love it . . .you just whistle . . and there it be! - Excellent.

Grazie

Frank Ladner
August 18th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Ha ha.

Neil: Funny stuff!

I've enjoyed this thread. Thanks a lot for the replies!

So I may try and make my own windsock - not sure yet, but the fact remains that if I want to boom, I need a shockmount.

Thanks!

Graham Bernard
August 18th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Neil - Does the RSPCA know about this? 'cos presently I see the, . . . . well the "animal fur" and the Senni separately.

Pray tell me, where does the Senni . . .erm . . how can I put this politely - is there an aperture to insert the Senni? - Does it require any . . veternary expertise?

Just to "clear-up-the-matter" are you prepared to show how you actually "mount" the Senni with the "ScottishWindpal".

Personally, what people do in the privacy of their own home is up to them. I really couldn't care . . . but just so we are completely clear, I think you should "post" a picture - not much ask - eh?

Just asking . . . . . of course.

Grazie

Neil Slade
August 18th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Okay folks, here's another ANTI-PHOTO EQUIPMENT suggestion you may enjoy-

full web page with PHOTOS here:
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/pole.html

Okay folks, here's another ANTI-PHOTO EQUIPMENT
suggestion you may enjoy-

Yes, once again a visit to FVESCO here in Denver
(Professional Hollywood "Film and Video Supply
Company") alerted me to the reality of the oh so
necessary cost of a professional fiberglass or carbon
fiber microphone boom. This tool is a marvel of modern
engineering, and something no serious filmaker can
afford to be without.

"Our company has researched all the scientific
parameters so that your modern microphone boom
operates in the most efficient and safe manner, causing
a minimum in stress and the utmost ease in your sound
engineer's paws---- um, hands."

Please make out your personal check for $350 for the 8
foot model, or $859 for the DELUXE 10 foot model.

OR.............

First I ordered an Electrovoice camera shoe microphone
shock mount from B and H for $30. Of course, this is a
piece of plastic tubing with rubber bands on either end,
and if I wasn't so lazy I could have created the same
thing from the hardware store out of PVC tubing for
about 25 cents.

Anyway, I fell for THAT one , but then SWITCHED ON MY
FRONTAL LOBES (see web site) and went to Home
Depot and bought for $19.95 a fiberglass extendable
LIGHT BULB CHANGING POLE.

I drilled out the end of that, and installed the proper
double end threaded bolt from the hardware store- $1
using 1/8 tube of JB Weld super duper epoxy. I then
screwed my mike shock on the end of the tube---- (yes,
it comes apart too)---

VOILA- Mike boom.

I checked out the length and weight of my sturdy and
lightweight pole and compared with the PROFESSIONAL
poles out there:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/FrameWork.class

My Home Depot "Professional" boom Pole is actually
LIGHTER by many ounces, and quite a bit longer
LONGER (15 feet, folks) than comparible fiberglass
poles costing ten times more dinero. Yes, it does not
flex when fully extended- unless you put a brick on the
end of it.

If 15 feet isn't long enough, you can buy a window wiper
holder aluminum pole instead-- but be prepaired to pay
big bucks for that piece of specialty equipment- it's $10
more.

It also has the added benefit of being bright and
cheerful yellow, warning gaffers and grips to get out of
the way when it comes swinging by.

Price does not include optional professional removable
vinyl electrical mike-cord attaching strips.

This Home Depot Boom Pole has been rigorously and
SCIENTIFICALLY tested under the most strenuous
filming conditions and has won numerous AWARDS from
the National Council On Custodial and Film Supplies.

Ken Tanaka
August 18th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Neil,
Fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic, at least until I have a chance to try some car seat fur. The closest item I have is a window washing fleece which, by the way, has a strikingly similar design to a furry basket screen cover.

Neil Slade
August 18th, 2003, 07:12 PM
RYCOTE VERSUS CHECKER AUTO PARTS WINDSOCKS TESTED

Actual-- I must fess up-- I had more fun than anything regarding the Rycote versus a do-it-yourself furry mitt.

I have since updated my page http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/windpal.html in fairness to Rycote, who offers a superb product, which in fact outperforms my car seat version.
I have to admit, I have seen EXACTLY the same fur on one of my dogs chew toys. But I think the wind noise depression of the Rycote has as much to do with the thicker interior foam thickness as anything, versus the thinner foam padding of a standard windscreen. See below:

(However, please take a look at my Home Depot Boom, which in fact, for $20 works exactly the same (no joke) as other boom poles- granted, the mike cord is exterior to the pole http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/pole.html )

TEST RESULTS:

I did some tests today with a few variations concerning windscreens, and simply tested indoors for frequency response and wind filtering ability-- using an indoor fan and high frequency sounds from a human voice, using a Sein ME66:

A) The typical ME66 foam windscreen does a good job in low wind, screening low frequency wind rumble. Once the air starts moving good however, it eventually fails. It is extremely transparent and does not seem to modify the frequency pickup of the mike.

B) If you fit my car seat cover fur over it, it helps a LITTLE, but also decreases the high freqency sensitivity a bit- actually about the same as a Rycote Softie.

C) A Rycote LONG FUR Softie SUBSTANTIALLY cuts wind noise, and similar to the car seat fur DIY version, also cuts a bit of the high frequencies in the process- but not enough to really be concerned with in either case.

D) A Rycote SHORT FUR Softie cuts even more high frequencies - getting noticable now- than the long fur version- but reportedly is for less wind- so go figure, why would anyone want one of these?

Hope this really sets the record straight.
Neil