View Full Version : Anyone tried Fuji tape?

Michael Buendia
November 21st, 2002, 02:39 AM
does anyone know the difference bewteen the standard fuji dvm60 and the Fuji DVM60x5B (japanese writing on tape)? are both of these tapes "dry tapes"? if fuji makes panasonic tapes is there a problem going back and fro?

mb4

Frank Granovski
November 21st, 2002, 03:08 AM
http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

Probably the same..., I wouldn't advise switching back and forth (to be on the safe side). Fuji has made some of the tape for Panasonic, some of the time. It seems now that Pana is making there own, for now. (I heard there are 5 tape factories, at this time.)

Michael Buendia
November 21st, 2002, 02:06 PM
are you still using fuji tapes or have you changed brands? what head cleaner would you recommend? panasonic?

mb4

Frank Granovski
November 23rd, 2002, 03:31 AM
I'm still using Fuji in my 2 DVL9500s. Since I cleaned my heads about 3 years ago? and switched to Fuji, I haven't had to clean my tapes since. In the MX300 cam I gave away to a family member, I only used Panasonic (with no problems). With the MX300 I still have, I have a fuji tape in it---and will be sticking with Fuji.

Regarding head cleaning tapes, it doesn't make a difference which brand you use. I have a JVC cleaning tape and a Pana cleaning tape. The real trick is to clean your heads once---like for 5 seconds---and stick with one good brand. I believe Fuji is the best. But this is my opinion, based on a tape test (a shootout / scientific test I read), other stuff I read, and with my own experience.

The thing about Fuji is that the quality is always high and always the same. Some other brands aren't always the same (and sometimes are not high quality).

I've read horror stories about Maxell and TDK, horror stories on switching/mixing tapes, (and I have my own horror stories from personal experience). The very worst tape that I have used is JVC tape. This is my BIG horror story! I've had no problems with Panasonics in my cam (the MX I gave away), but I have had problems with other cams I've used, with Panasonic tape. Sony tapes have also given me problems a few years back (with other people's cams), but I used the PD100A with Sony DVCAM tapes, and had no problems.

William Kucharski
August 17th, 2003, 09:57 AM
It's fairly difficult to find, but Fuji came out with their "DV131" line of non-memory DVCAM tape a while back, but given tape lubricant incompatibilities and such I've been too chicken to try it and have stayed with Sony.

However, given my recent Sony DVCAM dropout problems, I'm wondering if the Fuji is worth a try or if it's just relabeled Sony stock.

Anyone know? Anyone tried it? Any reviews?

I swear by Fuji H471S for SVHS and their M221MP Hi8 line always served me well, but given that DV131 seems to be really rare (a google search turned up one U.S. web source) I thought I'd ask...

Bill Pryor
August 17th, 2003, 02:45 PM
I used nothng but Fuji Betacam SP tape for about a dozen years and never had a problem. Since going to DVCAM just over 3 years ago, I've been using nothing but Sony DVCAM tape. In several hundred hours of DVCAM tape in 3 different cameras I've never seen a dropout (mostly full size cassettes, but I use the DVCAM 40's in the TRV900).

You might check with www.thetapeguys.com. Good prices, and if you call up and ask Ray League about different tape, he won't BS you.

Robert Mann Z.
October 27th, 2003, 10:58 AM
my last two orders came in with no 5pack cartons...i just spoke to my distributer fuji will no longer sell them that way, they are now being sold loose...

this does somewhat effect us, i can see how some of you don't care..

i think this might be a cost savings thing, however the price has not come down...

Frank Granovski
January 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM
Your "distributer" is full of hogwash, in my opinion.

Brian De Leenheer
January 24th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I am using Fuji tapes in my DV953 and they are marked DVM60AME E. I see some tapes for sale on ebay and they are advertised as DVM60CME E. Any idea if these are different and if so, what the difference is? Thanks for any help.

Brian

Paul Jason
January 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM
I use the Fuji dv tape in my GS100k. As far as I can tell from the Fuji site, They only make one type of tape and it comes in two different links 60 min and 80 min. Maybe Frank will see this thread and share some of his knowledge about this great tape.

Frank Granovski
January 24th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Fuji tape is all the same. Packaging in different countries may have different codes.

Ron Lucas
February 25th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Lately, my XL1s and GL2 cameras have been getting more dropouts on my Fuji tapes. I don't reuse my tapes; they are allways brand new.

I've read good things about the Panasonic MQ series tapes, and would like to switch to them permanently.

I've also read I should clean my camera before switching brands, so is the normal 5 second cleaning tape enough?

Since they are both 'dry' tapes, is this really an issue?

Thanks,
Ron

Frank Granovski
February 25th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Good one. You're going from Fuji to Fuji-made Pana. :-))

Ron Lucas
February 25th, 2004, 10:02 PM
I guess I'm not sure how to compare the Fuji tapes to the two Panasonic tapes (PQ or MQ). If someone were to confirm that the Fuji tapes are similiar in quality to the Panasonic MQ, then I might not change. But if they are more like the PQ, then I would change to hopefully get better results.

Ron

Frank Granovski
February 25th, 2004, 11:40 PM
In my 1st MX cam I used Pana tape. With the rest of my cams, Fuji. I haven't had problems with either. If Pana tape costs more than Fuji, why switch? If they're cheaper, why not? None of the pro's I know have had problems with Fuji, and they had learned about Fuji from the school of hard knocks, or so it seems. However, I do have some other friends who have been switching back and forth between Sony and Pana for years, because of problems; but these problems were most likely due from swithing and mixing, mixing and switching. So, things go around for them, including the buying of the latest/greatest cam---never satisfied and always looking for greener grass...and, of course, they never seem to get anything done. :-)) Thankfully, they all have day jobs not related to the video industry, so that they can stay in the game. :-))

Mike Cavanaugh
April 30th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Following the advice in this great forum, I've standardized on using Fuji tapes for almost all my shooting (and everything I run through my new camera) I've looked, but have not seen them offer 30 min. tapes. This length is very useful when shooting short segments, filler shots etc.

Ideas?

Frank Granovski
April 30th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Just buy the 60 minute ones.

Chris Thomas
July 13th, 2004, 11:18 PM
I have had my new GL2 for 2 weeks, filmed one event on Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ tapes, about 6 hours of footage. Around hour 4 came the prompt to clean the heads!

To the internet I traveled looking for the best tape to commit and switch to (and so fortunately discovered my new favorite site here). MQ, PQ, EJ,(FU)... JVC, Sony, Fuji, hard to separate fact from fiction and opinion from reality. My ultimate decision is to go with FUJI, although I have yet to run, or purchase for that matter, the first new tape through it.

I cleaned the heads once, and unfortunately don't have the money left for any cheap cam or deck so I am using the GL2 for the edit, I have captured the footage, and will cut the final to a new tape, after the 2nd run with the head cleaner...

Is my buying decision so simple that there is indeed only ONE choice for 60min Fuji tapes? No Pro vs Consumer? Cheap vs. Pricey? Or am I simply not looking at the right stores to find what I long for?

Do I just find the cheapest Fuji's and buy buy buy as many that fit in my greedy little hands, all the while envisioning the day that I to can make it through without cleaning the heads?

Ken Tanaka
July 14th, 2004, 12:21 AM
My goodness, you're a bit existential on the subject! <g>

In fact, now that you mentioned it, I've only ever seen one grade of Fuji miniDV tape. So if you can find it at Wild Man Harry's for $3 go for it!

Richard Alvarez
July 14th, 2004, 05:16 AM
I work in a pro shop with an Xl1, all we ever shoot are fuji's.

Bob Safay
July 24th, 2004, 08:13 AM
I agree. I have used Fuji on both my XL-1, and 1s. Never had a problem. Bob

Rob Wilson
July 24th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Chris,

Seems to be fairly common that GL2's need a head cleaning shortly after you begin using them. Mine did too and it worried me at the time. Since that time, I've probably run 150hrs of tape through it and just got a second message. I don't think I would let that first clean heads msg worry you. I'm using Pany MQ's but based on the previous threads, seems most are fairly similar in performance.

On the other hand, my DSR 500 still digitizes about once an hour of shooting. Using MQ's and cleaning when requested. Frustrating!

Michael Wisniewski
July 24th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I've only used Fuji for about 6 years. Never had a problem with dirty heads <crossing fingers> As far as I know I've only seen one model of the Fuji tape.

I usually load up at B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) or Pro-Tape (www.pro-tape.com).

* disclaimer: I've worked at the Pro-Tape booth when they do shows in New York.

Michael Wisniewski
July 24th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Just thought I'd add.

While I was working the booth this and last year, everyone was looking for either Panasonic or Sony tapes. Especially the Panasonic MQ/PQ, Sony Premiums, and Sony DV CAM.

I don't remember anyone asking for Fuji tapes.

Randy Reyes
August 8th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Hey guys. Is it okay to buy a head cleaner for my DVX from any ole store or do you guys recommend something specific from a specific store? Thanks!

Ken Tanaka
August 8th, 2004, 10:19 AM
"Any ole store" will be fine.

Alex Bornstein
November 16th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Hey all,

I was on a movie shoot today and in an unfortunate pinch, used a FujiFilm tape in the XL2. Until that moment, I'd only used Panasonic PQ tapes in the camera. The heads don't have much wear on them as the camera is fairly new, and I won't be mixing brands again...have any others been able to get away with this? I've been told that the Fujis and Panasonic tapes use a similar lubricant, but any extra info would certainly help me out :)

Thanks for the help!

Richard Alvarez
November 16th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Alex,

Fujis are good tapes, used to use them exclusively. I can't say if they are wet or dry, but I know that the Panny's are dry. Likely as not, you will be fine. Run a head cleaner through and move on.

Alex Bornstein
November 16th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Will any kind of head cleaner do, or should I get one specific brand?

Two final questions hehe:

Is it okay that I didn't run a cleaner before using the Fuji tape?

and

Some say that head cleaners can redude the life of the heads, so is this a step I can avoid if the Fujis are "dry" like the Panasonic PQs?

Thanks!

Alan Robinson
November 18th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Alex,

Fujis are good tapes, used to use them exclusively. I can't say if they are wet or dry, but I know that the Panny's are dry. Likely as not, you will be fine. Run a head cleaner through and move on.
Fuji uses a dry lubricant. We have been using Fuji tapes for several years now with no problems. I get them at the local BJ's in packs of 6 for $18 a pack.

Darko Flajpan
November 19th, 2005, 08:36 AM
I would reccomend, in any case, to run head cleaner tape before switching brands. You should be fine with any miniDV cleaning tape. I am switching from time to time Fuji and Sony DVCAM tapes, because some of my clients wants DVCAM tape, and i prefer Fuji. Anyway, no problems in last 2 yrs of day to day shooting.