View Full Version : Getting the best look & quality?

Meg Lynn
September 25th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Uncompressed Quicktime files are usually requested for final output from my clients to go to broadcast. Is this supreme or is it a lie.. especially when rendering from after effects?

If I want to make a truly 4:4:4 uncompressed video, would I try using ‘none’ as the compressor or ‘Animation’ set to ‘100′ quality. Because Animation uses RLE (run length encoding) compression, there’s a performance hit but the best in terms of file size.

Have you ever exported using "Animation" for a broadcast quality commercial?

Christopher Ruffell
September 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I've exported Animation and BMP and ProRes, but over the past two years, I've not touched Animation or BMP any longer - there are better alternatives.

I'd export the BMP format as far as uncompressed. Also, Blackmagic Designs codecs are great for uncompressed and a bit of a standard as far as I'm concerned. Uncompressed = huge file sizes - because it's not compressed at all!

The alternative I meant is that if you're on a Macintosh is to export Apple ProRes 422 HQ, but that's not 4:4:4. It's fantastic though - any particular reason you need 4:4:4? 4:4:4 is very rare and most often unneeded for today's workflows.