View Full Version : Has anyone used the Azden 320ULX UF wireless kit?

David Cleverly
September 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Hi all,

On a local website, I found this kit:

VideoGuys Australia | Azden 320ULX UHF Wireless Bodypack/Plug-in System (http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=3183#2_1)

And, since I am in the market for a wireless setup at the moment, and I have always thought a dual channel setup would be useful, I though this might be worth a look.

I would be using it for general ENG work. Interviews, stand-ups with a journo and so forth.

Crap, or worth a try?

Jason Robinson
October 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hi all,

On a local website, I found this kit:

VideoGuys Australia | Azden 320ULX UHF Wireless Bodypack/Plug-in System (http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=3183#2_1)
And, since I am in the market for a wireless setup at the moment, and I have always thought a dual channel setup would be useful, I though this might be worth a look.
I would be using it for general ENG work. Interviews, stand-ups with a journo and so forth.
Crap, or worth a try?

I don't know about you, but that package would seem to fit my requirements to a T. I don't need huge range, just something to not have a wire tying the talking heads down to the camera.

Oh and not in the 700MHz "C" block of the spectrum (irrelevant to Non-US users).

Don Bloom
October 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
check carefully...I have a freind who uses the Azden 200 series dual channel and it's very rough to use both at once. It seems there is a lot of crossover not matter how the freqs are set and the cabling is a challenge if you have xlr inputs. Something to do with the mini output on the receiver.
The AT1800 while more costly is really a far superior unit. You can mix the signals right on the receiver, have the ablitiy to adjust the levels on the receiver and the transmitters will go from -6db to +12. You also have 3 clear scan settings. For my money (of course it's not mine but...) the AT is a better unit than the Azden. BTW I owned 2 Azden 500
units for many years and got great service from them but IMO the AT is way better. Been using it for almost a year and haven't had any issues-2 body paks and a plugin-never been happier with my audio.

Just my $.005 worth (adjusted for the current financial crisis)

Don

Jason Robinson
October 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
check carefully...I have a freind who uses the Azden 200 series dual channel and it's very rough to use both at once. It seems there is a lot of crossover not matter how the freqs are set and the cabling is a challenge if you have xlr inputs. Something to do with the mini output on the receiver.
The AT1800 while more costly is really a far superior unit. You can mix the signals right on the receiver, have the ablitiy to adjust the levels on the receiver and the transmitters will go from -6db to +12. You also have 3 clear scan settings. For my money (of course it's not mine but...) the AT is a better unit than the Azden. BTW I owned 2 Azden 500
units for many years and got great service from them but IMO the AT is way better. Been using it for almost a year and haven't had any issues-2 body paks and a plugin-never been happier with my audio.

Just my $.005 worth (adjusted for the current financial crisis)
Don

Is this what you are talking about? The ATW-1821 dual wireless mic (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460224-REG/Audio_Technica_ATW_1821D_ATW_1821_Dual_Wireless.html#includes) That is ...... pretty much the entire income from my next gig. :-(

Also what is a TA3 XLR plug? I have a Beachtek DXA-8 that takes either a 1/8" mini-plug or two XLR cables. I'm not able to find a good source to tell (or show) what that means, or if the TA3 is what plugs into an XLR mic port.

Steve House
October 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Is this what you are talking about? The ATW-1821 dual wireless mic (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460224-REG/Audio_Technica_ATW_1821D_ATW_1821_Dual_Wireless.html#includes) That is ...... pretty much the entire income from my next gig. :-(

Also what is a TA3 XLR plug? I have a Beachtek DXA-8 that takes either a 1/8" mini-plug or two XLR cables. I'm not able to find a good source to tell (or show) what that means, or if the TA3 is what plugs into an XLR mic port.

You get what you pay for and while I haven't used them so all I can do is repeat hearsay, general opinion regarding Azden is almost universally negative. Instead of thinking "the [AT system] costs pretty much the entire income from my next gig," try thinking "it's only takes one gig and then I'll have a top-quality system with which to keep earning top dollar!"

A TA3 looks sort of like a mini XLR. The receiver output cable would be a balanced cable with a TA3 on the end the plugs into the receiver and an XLR on the end that plugs into the camera or mixer/recorder. Of course you could get a custom cable made up that would take the balanced TA3 outputs of the receiver, unbalance them, and send them into the 1/8 mini on your camera without requiring the Beachtek if you wished.

Jason Robinson
October 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
You get what you pay for and while I haven't used them so all I can do is repeat hearsay, general opinion regarding Azden is almost universally negative. Instead of thinking "the [AT system] costs pretty much the entire income from my next gig," try thinking "it's only takes one gig and then I'll have a top-quality system with which to keep earning top dollar!"

A TA3 looks sort of like a mini XLR. The receiver output cable would be a balanced cable with a TA3 on the end the plugs into the receiver and an XLR on the end that plugs into the camera or mixer/recorder. Of course you could get a custom cable made up that would take the balanced TA3 outputs of the receiver, unbalance them, and send them into the 1/8 mini on your camera without requiring the Beachtek if you wished.

well as long as it has XLR on the ouput, then I could still use the XLR L-chan for the on-cam AT897 and the R-chan for the wireless system.

Don Bloom
October 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
yes the AT system is a 'mini XLR' (ta3) from the receiver and is a full XLR on the other end. AT send the cable with the unit. As Steve pointed out, this unit will last a lot longer than the camera it going to used on.
For what it's worth I swear by it.

Don