View Full Version : Going to the races

Terry Lyons
October 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I am going to Vegas to shoot my buddys funny car the end of this month. I will use my xha1. I normally shoot almost everything in24P and 1/48th of a second. Will this be suitable for something that fast paced? I like the look I have been getting but should I shoot a higher shutter speed for a more intense feel? What about slow motion, would a higher shutter speed be better? Picket fencing, I know they shoot film at 24fps but I dont see the picket fencing in a movie like I get. I hate to say it but what about 60i or 30P Any thoughts? Thanks TAG

Brian Lakusta
October 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hi, I just bought a used XH A1 and only have made 2 min of video with it so far, so not up on everything to set it at.

but I will say 60i is the setting to use. I have a HV 20 and have done some road racing and knew to not use the 24P setting and used 60i.

maybe others will say more and I will also read what they say.

Brian

Samuel Ko
October 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
i shoot a lot of automotive events (shows/races/etc)

i too normally use 60i
your going to want a faster shutter speed if your filming races.

you can even do a test. try filming cars on the highway or street doing 40+ at 24 vs 60
you can see a difference on the look.

Tripp Woelfel
October 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I shoot for a local track in central Maine and I always use 60i, even when the light's low it just works best.

I'll shoot with the shutter as fast as 1/500, but I like 1/250 best. Fast shutters and 60i will give you a good source for slow motion. I've done slow motion on quite a few clips and I'm pleased with the results.

You can see for yourself here: Oxford Plains Speedway Channel on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/oxfordplains) The best examples of what you're looking for will be in the eye candy section at the end of most of the pieces.