View Full Version : new GL2

Sirak Solomon
August 23rd, 2003, 06:51 PM
I just received my GL2. Unfortunately, I see a small but irritating smear on the inside (looking at an image through the viewfinder).

The smear is not on the lens, as I can't see it when viewing an image through the LCD screen. It is not on the outside glass of the viewfinder either.

I believe the smear is on the magnifying glass inside the viewfinder. The dealer I purchased the product from seems to think there is a way to clean this and that I should contact canon before returning the camcorder.

Any advice would be appreciated as canon technical support is closed for the weekend and I am trying to use it this weekend.

Many thanks.

Frank Granovski
August 23rd, 2003, 07:02 PM
Get it serviced or return it. It is, afterall, a new cam. It shouldn't be like that.

Ken Tanaka
August 23rd, 2003, 07:48 PM
There is, indeed, a way to clean part of the inside of your viewfinder. It's documented in your users manual. (I don't have one handy to give you a specific reference.)

But I agree with Frank. If you've just purchased it in the past week or two just return it as defective. This is a workmanship defect, not a repair issue. Your dealer should replace it immediately, not tell you to send it to Canon.

Tom Yang
September 3rd, 2003, 12:02 PM
There is an access panel under the viewfinder that allows you to clean the viewfinder screen as well as magnification lens. You can use a Q-tip, but be careful, apparently these elements are easy to scratch. However if this was indeed a new product, it makes you wonder how these areas of the camera got smudged.

Joe Garnero
September 3rd, 2003, 02:00 PM
Are you sure you're not seeing abberations from the sharp edges around the viewfinder. I noticed these while evaluating the GL2 to purchase. It would appear that the eye-relief is very short on this cam and sometimes I noticed streaking around the edges of the viewfinder, unless my eye was positioned just-so.

While you're at it follow the link below to the GL2 Defects topic to see if you have the "loose" viewfinder. I suspect there was a batch of cameras showing this symptom as some users of older cams do not have the "symptom".

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13162

Sirak Solomon
September 3rd, 2003, 05:55 PM
I decided to exchange the camcorder. I figured having paid 2 grand and change I should not have this kind of problem right out of the box. Thanks for the replies guys.

Joe Garnero
September 4th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Amen! That's why I returned two of 'em. Canon actually suggested I buy a GL2 and send it to them for repair! I suggested they make 'em right to begin with, and watch their quality.

Hope your replacement is up to par... You might look at the Panasonic DVC80