View Full Version : PMW-EX3 Base Plate

Pages : 1 [2]

David Issko
December 3rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Got it Mark!

I have the VF gadgets' plate and the Sony shoulder pad does not attach to it at all. So I do not have a pad. For the times that I need to shoulder mount the camera, I survive without any padding at the 90 degree join.

I also have the DVtec HDPro shoulder rig for the more demanding off tripod work.

I also have the XS lens so I hang on to the lens hood with my left hand to stop the slight anti clockwise twisting effect. It's not too bad at all if I keep my eye (well glasses) hard up against the viewfinder as well.

I hope you don't have any problems to sort out with your rig.

Best wishes.

Jason Davenport
December 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
I have the VF plate and the shoulder pad can be velcroed to the back of the plate just like the original position.

Ted OMalley
December 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Then let me be the first to lobby for a quick release attachment for the shoulder brace! :)

That would be incredibly useful in many situations. Plus, I have to admit that the thought of a few screws holding the shoulder brace in place is slightly worrying. Seems like it would be easy to strip them or put excessive strain on them.

Regardless, I'll buy one anyway just for the tripod reinforcement.

Thanks again for the clarification,

Mark

Forward any requests to Jeff at DM-accessories!

Ted OMalley
December 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Got it Mark!

I have the VF gadgets' plate and the Sony shoulder pad does not attach to it at all. So I do not have a pad. For the times that I need to shoulder mount the camera, I survive without any padding at the 90 degree join.

I also have the DVtec HDPro shoulder rig for the more demanding off tripod work.

I also have the XS lens so I hang on to the lens hood with my left hand to stop the slight anti clockwise twisting effect. It's not too bad at all if I keep my eye (well glasses) hard up against the viewfinder as well.

I hope you don't have any problems to sort out with your rig.

Best wishes.

The VF version doesn't have a pad because, frankly, what do you expect for $450. Ours, of course, has a pad - this has proven to be quite a challenge, but Jeff has worked hard to accommodate. I had to put two layers of 1/2" adhesive foam on mine, but it worked great. Since my foam was rubber based, Jeff is unable to laser-cut it and spent time searching for another product. I'm not sure what he finally came up with, but if nothing else, it is possible (worthwhile) to at least cut some 1" thick foam.

Doesn't that hard plate hurt pretty quickly? Maybe since they aren't adding weight and locating it behind you, it doesn't strain the shoulder to much.

Ted OMalley
December 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
My preference would be to have the shoulder mount attach to the reinforcement plate with some type of quick release mechanism.

Mark,

I know it isn't the same thing, but the folding design is to help the transition without have any loose parts to loose. folding it works for the tripod, unfolding it works for the shoulder.

Larry Huntington
December 4th, 2008, 02:00 AM
A detachable shoulder mount would allow me to throw my camera back in it's soft case without unscrewing the base plate each time. How about a detachable shoulder system with welded studs with holes at the ends that accept cotter pins? Sounds crude but the design could be improved. Or better yet, studs that insert inside drilled holes in the shoulder section and "snap in" somehow, and adding a quick release button to release. This of course would raise the price, but I would pay for that convenience.

Reminds me of way the USS Enterprise D saucer section detached.

Ted OMalley
December 4th, 2008, 09:06 AM
A detachable shoulder mount would allow me to throw my camera back in it's soft case without unscrewing the base plate each time. How about a detachable shoulder system with welded studs with holes at the ends that accept cotter pins? Sounds crude but the design could be improved. Or better yet, studs that insert inside drilled holes in the shoulder section and "snap in" somehow, and adding a quick release button to release. This of course would raise the price, but I would pay for that convenience.

Reminds me of way the USS Enterprise D saucer section detached.

Well, far be it from me to argue with a trekkie! ;-) The current design was made just for what you describe. It easily fits in my soft case with a little extra room at the end. I think that the hinge he chose MIGHT have a removable pin (or MIGHT be able to be made removeable) which, I think, would accommodate you.

Oh, and Jeff cuts aluminum, doesn't weld it. you might direct suggestions to him directly, though.

He is now putting the "finishing" touches on the plates and it's all going to the anodizers. Should be ready for sale very very soon.

Dan Chung
December 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Ted,

Any more news on finished product? After all, all I want for Christmas is an EX3 plate!

Dan

Ted OMalley
December 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Jeff just sent me a few snapshots of two versions. A "baseplate only" version and a hinged shoulder mount with battery version.

Nothing is black yet, but he's ready for production. Still needs to go to the anodizer for the black finish.

I'm going nuts myself - the prototype used a hinge that we have since changed and so I go to use mine briefly and now it is barely hanging on.

Dave Tyrer
December 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Does anyone know how much it will be for baseplate only?

Ted OMalley
December 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know how much it will be for baseplate only?

I've asked Jeff to post pricing (decide on pricing) but he was delaying to be sure that he both turn a profit and offer lower prices. He should have that figured out very soon.

Dave Tyrer
December 6th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I've asked Jeff to post pricing (decide on pricing) but he was delaying to be sure that he both turn a profit and offer lower prices. He should have that figured out very soon.

Thanks Ted

Phil Bloom
December 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Done a review of the VFgadgets plate. Pricey but really important especially if using 35mm adaptor.
Philip Bloom Blog Archive An essential, albeit pricey, fix for the EX3 especially if using a 35mm adaptor. (http://philipbloom.co.uk/2008/12/21/an-essential-albeit-pricey-fix-for-the-ex3-especially-is-using-a-35mm-adaptor/#more-1772)

Simon Wyndham
December 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm simply not convinced by the VF Gadgets thing. Without the rear clip for the VCT-14 it is lacking some fundamental support. Further more I simply cannot accept those prices. They are beyond absurd. The reason I would purchase something is for convenience. If I can make it myself for far less, and with more features I will. In this case doing a DIY job looks infinitely preferable.

$400 for a rods plate is well and truly in lala land. And that goes for most other manufacturers who make this sort of stuff. I expect to see that sort of price for a small antique object featured on the Antiques Roadshow, not a piece of metal with some holes in it.

Lets put this into perspective. I can buy a used *car* for less than a flippin' matte box system these days! Which contains the most complex engineering? The car, or the matte box?

In the current economic climate they would do well to charge a realistic price. After all it is a piece of metal that has been CNC'd. It isn't some guy with a beard wearing a grotty stained white apron with a metal file lovingly burring each corner. It is a computer that makes these things.

Andrew Stone
December 21st, 2008, 11:26 PM
I'm with Simon on this. The price of the what is effectively a cheese plate for the EX3 from PCI sold by VF Gadgets is so high it is laughable. Laughable.

There are just way too many instances of this insane kind of pricing in this industry, as I mentioned recently in another thread. I am convinced it is due to the proximity effect of big budget filming on the industry which bleeds into our part of the industry's "ecosphere".

The problem is many/most of the of the manufacturers get away with it because people buy this stuff at these insane inflated prices.

I can see how Phil Bloom who is suffering from his tripod mount failure "needs" to get this but if your camera is fine, like mine, i would rather be spending my money going toward a lens, a light or something that is going to bring artistic benefit to most of the shooting I am doing at the moment.

I should mention, I have found using my Letus that with the rails I am using (Cinevate Proteus ones) having the unit attached to both the Letus and the camera doesn't appear to cause any undue stress on the EX3 tripod mount. I suppose if the mount was already compromised the inertia of the camera swinging around could cause problems but if the mount is still sound once you have the rails on it shouldn't cause the mount to deteriorate.

Dean Harrington
December 22nd, 2008, 12:54 AM

What's the link to buy?

Bob Grant
December 22nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
What's the link to buy?

About half way down the page you'll find what you're looking for:

DM-Accessories - Welcome (http://shop.dm-accessories.com/)

Dean Harrington
December 22nd, 2008, 02:44 AM
About half way down the page you'll find what you're looking for:

DM-Accessories - Welcome (http://shop.dm-accessories.com/)

thanks mate!

Ned Soltz
December 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Just ordered one! Will also give it some press in an upcoming article.

Justin Benn
December 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Glad to see Jeff/Ted's version appearing. Competition should be good for pricing.

I find some of the argumentation about the admittedly high price of the VF gadgets solution faintly ridiculous. For the price of an EX3 you can get a good new car and a very good used one. So what? Try attaching a baseplate to a used car and sticking that on a tripod. If VFgadgets thought they would sell thousands and thousands of these things in a crowded market served by media such as "What EX3 Cheeseplate Monthly" you might find seasonal offers for about $60 or so. But, hey presto, they're only likely to sell a several hundred over the entire lifetime of the product - maybe a few thousand if they do really well. They are guaranteed and the company's reputation is attached to the utility of the product. It's not hard to see how the dollars stack up and I don't see the film/video ancillary industry getting a bail out from any government any time soon.

Frankly, if people had been asked to pay $350 for insurance on their EX3 and they felt they needed it, they wouldn't bat an eyelid at the price. To me certainly, it represents fairly good insurance against crappy Sony baseplate mishaps and is worth every cent. And if they'd sold them for $100 a piece, I'd have probably bought two or three just to ensure that my camera spends as little time as possible in repair-hell.

By all means, make a cheaper, better alternative. But if you get inundated with dozens and dozens of orders and want to make it 'worth your while', I won't be criticising you for wanting to make an extra buck or two.

Jus.

Simon Wyndham
December 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
There's just one problem with the points that you made, Justin. How come Jeff/Ted's plate is so much more reasonably priced than the VF Gadgets one? If they can manage it, and I'd imagine that they have less resources than VF Gadgets, then it just shows how over inflated the VF ones are.

David Issko
December 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Yes, the VF plate is very expensive but I needed to fix my EX3 to the tripod in a much more secure manner than what was on offer from Sony at that time as Ted's gem was still in development. No, there isn't any securing of the back of the camera to the VCT with the VF, but it is much, much better secured than without it.

I have had my plate for some time now and although it cost me a lot of money, I am very happy with my purchase and I have the added safety barrier without having to be constantly mindful of the camera wobbling in not much more than a gentle breeze which I observed on my very first day outside with the camera or worse, accidentally breaking the flimsy single point tripod fixing screw.

I'm not sure if Ted's plate is ready yet as I have been very busy and haven't had an oppotunity to read many posts, but when it is, I'm sure that the competition will be very good. Until then, there isn't anything else - or is there....

Best wishes to everyone

Justin Benn
December 23rd, 2008, 01:44 AM
There's just one problem with the points that you made, Justin. How come Jeff/Ted's plate is so much more reasonably priced than the VF Gadgets one? If they can manage it, and I'd imagine that they have less resources than VF Gadgets, then it just shows how over inflated the VF ones are.

You're absolutely right, Simon, and there would have been little point of releasing a product from a lesser-known concern at a similar price-point.

Still, I hope you consider one of these plates soon, once you have recovered from your EX3 woes. I know you'll feel better about using the camera once you do - at least physically. And while, like you, I would also have liked to see a secure point of contact for the rear pin on the U14 plate, the current design of the VF plate (and probably Ted's too) is surprisingly rigid and stable.

Jus.

Ted OMalley
December 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Jeff's got several of the items posted now, see here:

DM-Accessories - EX3 Products (http://shop.dm-accessories.com/collections/ex3-products)

and this evening, he's hoping to post the rear hinged part that is designed to carry a large AB or IDX battery mount. I'm looking forward to seeing the final version finished!

David C. Williams
December 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
My standard base has shipped. I usually have my EX3 on a Steadicam Flyer-LE, and I've been a bit paranoid, so I hope this base adds some rigidity. I still can't believe the original mount is so light weight?

Barry J. Anwender
December 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
It nice to see that Jeff has added the plate with guides to the wedge plate. This will add to its stability.

Ted OMalley
December 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I've been using the prototype now for about a month. The rigidity added by the base plate alone is both astounding and very comforting. Jeff has, very wisely, endeavored to accommodate the widest variety of preferences by making the system expandable. If you just need tripod rigidity, then this piece is enough!

For those who prefer the shoulder-mount option - it is a slightly different part, as the "baseplate only" option was made to just fit the camera body and nothing else.

If you want to mount a battery, you can add on the hinged plate at any time - this is also the key piece to the balance puzzle. It takes care of wrist torque as well as lightening the load on your arm. With added weight (plates may be available in the future), you can effectively balance the whole thing. If you don't have a battery mount system, he has one that we arranged from Anton-Bauer.

And don't forget the wedge plate. I get a smile on my face every time i place it on/take it off my tripod. I'm new to the world of the VCT tripod plate, and I'm so glad I went there. The solid click of the base is great.

I recently drove from Tampa to Austin (last week) and had the camera mounted on the tripod over the passenger seat the entire way. Shooting time lapse, I gathered about four minutes of footage during the 16 hour trip. Wish I could have driven it that fast! (Reminds me of Niven's "Neutron Star")

Anyway, I hope these products fill a niche - or several, as the case may be. Jeff assures me that every piece of the production unit has received major improvements to my prototype. I eagerly await the final product.

Oh, and please don't forget the best thing about working with a smaller company like Jeff's - if you have a component that it doesn't yet work with, and you think that many others would benefit from its inclusion, let Jeff know. He may be able to accommodate changes that make the solution ideal for you and increase the value to others.

Ned Soltz
December 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I've been using the prototype now for about a month. The rigidity added by the base plate alone is both astounding and very comforting. Jeff has, very wisely, endeavored to accommodate the widest variety of preferences by making the system expandable. If you just need tripod rigidity, then this piece is enough!

For those who prefer the shoulder-mount option - it is a slightly different part, as the "baseplate only" option was made to just fit the camera body and nothing else.

If you want to mount a battery, you can add on the hinged plate at any time - this is also the key piece to the balance puzzle. It takes care of wrist torque as well as lightening the load on your arm. With added weight (plates may be available in the future), you can effectively balance the whole thing. If you don't have a battery mount system, he has one that we arranged from Anton-Bauer.

And don't forget the wedge plate. I get a smile on my face every time i place it on/take it off my tripod. I'm new to the world of the VCT tripod plate, and I'm so glad I went there. The solid click of the base is great.

I recently drove from Tampa to Austin (last week) and had the camera mounted on the tripod over the passenger seat the entire way. Shooting time lapse, I gathered about four minutes of footage during the 16 hour trip. Wish I could have driven it that fast! (Reminds me of Niven's "Neutron Star")

Anyway, I hope these products fill a niche - or several, as the case may be. Jeff assures me that every piece of the production unit has received major improvements to my prototype. I eagerly await the final product.

Oh, and please don't forget the best thing about working with a smaller company like Jeff's - if you have a component that it doesn't yet work with, and you think that many others would benefit from its inclusion, let Jeff know. He may be able to accommodate changes that make the solution ideal for you and increase the value to others.

As I said in an earlier post, I ordered mine on Monday as soon as he posted pricing, and Jeff replied he was hoping to get it shipped on Tuesday.

Part of what I am going to emphasize in an upcoming article will be the innovation of small desginers/producers who themselves are video pros. Folks with ideas such as yours and production/marketing skills like Jeff represent a very important niche in the business. I can think of at least several others who have created products to achieve what should have been built into the product had it been designed by actual users. And it's the sort of thing my editors like to cover.

Good work and I can hardly wait to mount it on my EX-3. By the way, I bought the shoulder mount version.

Andrew Stone
December 24th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Interesting, PCI/VF Gadgets must be listening to the comments here. The pricing on their baseplate configs are now lower. Looked at the ones Ted designed and they sure look good.

Ted OMalley
December 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Interesting, PCI/VF Gadgets must be listening to the comments here. The pricing on their baseplate configs are now lower. Looked at the ones Ted designed and they sure look good.

I appreciate that, Andy. To be clear, though, the engineering that I began back in August or thereabouts has undergone many changes - including the beneficial changes that Jeff made in the fabrication process of both the prototype and the final production unit. In other words, in it's current state, Jeff shares a considerable amount of the credit in the design.

Mitchell Lewis
December 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Maybe I haven't done enough research, but the VFGadgets plate looks a lot more "machined" than it's new competitor. Maybe the machining on the plate has some additional use? Strength? Maybe it makes it fit more snug against the base of the camera? Dunno. Sure nice to see them reduce the price right before I'm ready to buy. :)

Does Ted's plate have the machining like the VFGadgets plate?

Justin Benn
December 25th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Maybe I haven't done enough research, but the VFGadgets plate looks a lot more "machined" than it's new competitor. Maybe the machining on the plate has some additional use? Strength? Maybe it makes it fit more snug against the base of the camera? Dunno. Sure nice to see them reduce the price right before I'm ready to buy. :)

Hopefully Simon W. will notice the price-drop and look more favourably on the VF device now. Seems that competition can be good for the consumer and while I wish that I got mine cheaper, I don't regret having paid for the peace of mind in the mean time. Hope they can come up with an attachment for the rear U14 pin.

As with a lot of metal parts, 'relief-machining' dramatically increases the stiffness of the said part by removing material that might otherwise transmit flexing or torsional forces along its length. This works well on beams and plate-like parts. A good example are airplane parts but almost anything well designed in light metals (like fancy bike and car parts) can be finished in this way. It is, however, possible to take this too far and make things too thin and filigree. The VF gadget item seems to avoid this pitfall, does not 'ring' and is very stiff.

Jus.

Ted OMalley
December 25th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Hopefully Simon W. will notice the price-drop and look more favourably on the VF device now. Seems that competition can be good for the consumer and while I wish that I got mine cheaper, I don't regret having paid for the peace of mind in the mean time. Hope they can come up with an attachment for the rear U14 pin.

As with a lot of metal parts, 'relief-machining' dramatically increases the stiffness of the said part by removing material that might otherwise transmit flexing or torsional forces along its length. This works well on beams and plate-like parts. A good example are airplane parts but almost anything well designed in light metals (like fancy bike and car parts) can be finished in this way. It is, however, possible to take this too far and make things too thin and filigree. The VF gadget item seems to avoid this pitfall, does not 'ring' and is very stiff.

Jus.

You guys are beginning to speak beyond my range of knowledge. I will offer this, though. I asked Jeff about the color - mentioning that I thought he was going to anodize black. He mentioned that he opted for "hard" anodizing instead to increase durability, and that this method procludes color. He said the resulting finish is, however, pretty cool and high tech.

Jeff DeMaagd
December 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM

All the parts are all CNC machined, given a brush finish on the outer surfaces afterwards, then given a hard coat anodized surface. I planned to do more structural machining, but it turned out that the weight savings would have been negligible.

Hopefully the first customers will be seeing their plates soon enough to give third party accounts of what it's like, maybe this weekend or early next week.

Mitchell Lewis
December 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hopefully the first customers will be seeing their plates soon enough to give third party accounts of what it's like, maybe this weekend or early next week.

I look forward to that Jeff. It's going to be a tough decision for those of us who haven't made a purchase yet. Both plates seem to be very well made. Impressive! :)

Zachary Fink
December 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hi Ted -

Just checking to see that the fold up battery plate can be used for counter weight, but WITH the long life Sony Battery installed in the camera. Does it still fold up properly?

Thanks,
Zac

Jeff DeMaagd
December 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Ted -

Just checking to see that the fold up battery plate can be used for counter weight, but WITH the long life Sony Battery installed in the camera. Does it still fold up properly?

Thanks,
Zac

Neither Ted or I have the long life battery to make a definitive test, but the plate is deliberately positioned far enough back to clear the longer extra-duty Sony battery, based on dimensions Ted found.