View Full Version : is there an audio out (other than headphone)? Or... can I split headphone out?

Malcolm Hamilton
November 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hi there,
I'm recording two-person interviews sometimes (both XLR inputs used; no mixer), and I'd like to make an mp3 recording, while shooting, so someone can get transcripts made asap. I have a digital recorder with a 1/8" mic input and 1/4" inputs, but I don't know how to get from my EX-1 into this... unless I split the headphone out from the EX-1.
Is that the best idea, or is there a better solution?
thanks, Malcolm

Edward Carlson
November 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
You could use the headphone out. You could also plug the AV cable into the camera, take an RCA to 1/8" adapter, and plug that into the recorder.

Malcolm Hamilton
November 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks Edward. I just found that A/V out... is it a pretty standard kind of cable that fits into this thing? (if one came with my EX, I don't know what I did with it).
I was also thinking that if my headphone out from the EX went directly into my MicroTrack recorder 1/8" audio in, I could then plug my headphones into the headphone out on the MicroTrack. This way I could record the interview and hear it at the same time, to make sure I'm getting clean audio.
Any thoughts on that?
Cheers, malcolm

Gints Klimanis
November 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks Edward. I just found that A/V out... is it a pretty standard kind of cable that fits into this thing? (if one came with my EX, I don't know what I did with it).

Definitely not a standard cable as it has a mini connector on one end and three RCAs on the other.

Sami Sanpakkila
November 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I was also thinking that if my headphone out from the EX went directly into my MicroTrack recorder 1/8" audio in, I could then plug my headphones into the headphone out on the MicroTrack. This way I could record the interview and hear it at the same time, to make sure I'm getting clean audio.
Any thoughts on that?
Cheers, malcolm

Yeah theres a cable that comes with the ex1 that has 3 rca on the other end, video and audio L and R, the other end is some special sony thing. Most likely not so easy to find.

I would agree that recording from the EX1 headphone out and monitoring via MicroTrack is propably the easiest way to get a quick reference recording.

sami

Malcolm Hamilton
November 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
thank you, people. I'll go from headphone out, to (and through, to headphones so I can monitor audio) the MicroTrack. I appreciate the help. And I'll keep an eye open for that cable just in case.
Malcolm

Gints Klimanis
November 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah theres a cable that comes with the ex1 that has 3 rca on the other end, video and audio L and R, the other end is some special sony thing. Most likely not so easy to find.
sami

The cable is easy to order from BH Photo, but a local source would be the Sony Style store.

Andrew Hollister
November 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM
The cable is easy to order from BH Photo, but a local source would be the Sony Style store.

Also you can find them on Amazon dot com... and the one I saw (Piotr posted a link here somewhere) has an additional s-vhs cable on it.

Alister Chapman
November 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
The headphone amplifier is a little hissy and is designed to work with a low impedance load such as headphones. The A/V output will be cleaner and a better impedance match to an external recorder. Be careful as many low cost recording devices designed to work with microphones often have powered mic connectors.

Malcolm Hamilton
November 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
thank you for the heads up, Alister. I did check the headphone out>MicroTrack>headphones set-up, and it seems to work well. The MicroTrack is a pretty expensive recording device, so I'm hoping it has the right kind of mic connector.
re the alternative way, which I'd still like to try... I did find the Sony cable that fits in the component out (and has three RCA plugs on the other end), but I still haven't found the A/V cable. I'll keep looking though.
cheers, Malcolm

Bob Jackson
November 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Amazon.com: Sony VMC15FS A/V Cable for most Sony MiniDV & DVD Camcorders: Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VMC15FS-Cable-MiniDV-Camcorders/dp/B00009RUFZ)
is this what you are looking for?
Bob

Malcolm Hamilton
November 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
That's it, Bob. Thanks for the link.
Malcolm

Mike Chandler
November 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Sounds like you have your fix, Malcolm, but in case not: I just worked with a sound guy who had a nice breakaway cable with 2 xlr's, headphone cable, and additional headphone cable off that (so that both mixer and cam could monitor). Don't know where to get it though.