View Full Version : upside-down LEX mounting on the EX1

Piotr Wozniacki
November 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Does anyone actually use, or has access to a picture of, the Letus extreme setup on the EX1 rotated 180 deg, i.e. with the "nose" tube being higher rather than lower the camera lens' axis? I'm considering the Redrock Micro "low riser" baseplate, which is OK for the microMatteBox on bare camera, but too low for the same setup with LEX mounted the usual way, i.e. requiring higher rising of the camera.

Please provide some links to the pictures, TIA.

Chris Leong
November 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Hey Piotr
Check out Phil Bloom's site. His has pix of a similar "upward" setup to the one you're looking for. In his instance I think it was to accommodate a large matte box arrangement...
Cheers
Chris

Sami Sanpakkila
November 7th, 2008, 05:54 AM
a direct link: Philip Bloom Blog Archive Redrock Matte Box & mounting Letus upside down (http://philipbloom.co.uk/2008/07/15/works/)

the negative thing is that you cant close the EX1 lcd when LEX is mounted upside down.

sami

Phil Bloom
November 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
yep, it is a problem with the lcd. I always mount my letus upside down on the ex3.

Ola Christoffersson
November 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Lately I have been mounting it upside down as well. Much easier to balance on my tripod. Took me a while to realise that I have to remove the Nikon mount with the four screws, turn it upside down and screw it back on, to get the mounting whole for the support bracket facing the right way.

Sean Donnelly
November 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM
It is a pain that you can't close the LCD, but I just added a rubber pad at the contact point and cut out the foam in my case to match. It's worth it though to get the camera lower on the rails.

-Sean