View Full Version : Gels for DVX LCD screen :)

Frank Granovski
August 25th, 2003, 09:56 PM
DP Coplan said, "I've been very pleased with the camera, and have used it for assignments ranging from theatrical production to corporate gigs to concert footage. For 'American Yearbook,' given that we wanted to finish both to current TV standards and widescreen HD, I used gels on the flip-out screen to frame for 16:9 while protecting for 4:3."

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat/newsinfo/press_03/03_63.html

Jason D. Moore
August 30th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Where did he get those? Or did he just make some...

-moore

Frank Granovski
August 30th, 2003, 03:16 PM
I think you can buy gels to put on filters. He probably used those kind of gels to frame his LCD. Personally, I find this a bit strange. I would just cut some black paper, thick paper, and use Scotch Tape to fasten it on. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Young Lee
September 1st, 2003, 11:24 AM
Or use your own imagination to create bars on top & botton.

John Locke
September 1st, 2003, 05:51 PM
Here's an easy way to do it:

1. Take some footage you already have and mask it with a 16:9 letterbox in your editing program.
2. Export that footage to tape, then put the tape in your camera and play.
3. Get some packing tape (the wide, transparent kind) in a slightly off color (I found some that was kind of orange) and mark your LCD screen where the letterbox black bars appear.
4. Using an X-acto knife, carefully trim around the inside edge of the screen and peel away the rest of the tape.

Voila! You have a mask that won't fall off, can be easily replaced, doesn't damage the LCD screen, allows you to still close the LCD screen, and also allows you to see the image in 4:3 and 16:9.

Craig Hollenback
September 12th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Hoodman makes some peel and stick clear protective covers for LCD screens. You can cut some very thin stips of tape..like vinyl electrical tape and place them onto the screen where you need them....be sure to press very lightly on the LCD screen. You might also want to measure the center and make cross hirs there. Additionally, a horizontal line across the screen will keep things square when you shoot.

Gerald Lee
September 24th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Too bad you can only do that on the LCD. I'm surprised they don't have a feature to mark 16:9 lines on the screen for reference.

Frank Granovski
September 24th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Yes, I wonder too. That would be a useful feature---perhaps Pana will include this in the DVX100A. :)