View Full Version : DVD-Video, Surround and Dolby trademarks

Bjørn Sørensen
August 26th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I am preparing a cover for a DVD. Is there a place where I can download the original DVD-Video, Dolby Digital and other "trademarks" as a black on white graphic to use at the back of the DVD cover sheet?

Arnaldo Paixao
August 26th, 2003, 10:30 AM
In short: No and Yes.

No - To use those logos legaly, you must pay a fee to the DVD Forum and Dolby Laboratories. Then they will suply you the logos art work.

Yes - Do a search using the right keywords and you might find what you want.

Best regards
Arnaldo

Jake Russell
August 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM
If you mark on your artwork where you want the dvd-video logo the rep house can usually add it where you need. There will be no fee if you do it that way.

Not sure about the whole fee for dolby logos either, I think you just have to abide by certain rules and regs, http://www.dolby.com/tm/

Jake

Rob Easler
August 26th, 2003, 12:55 PM
No fee is required for the dolby logos. You must sign the agreement they will send you and supply a sample of your display of the logo. After you sign the agreement they send you the logos and trailer to insert on your videos. It's pretty cool actually to legitimately use the logo. But good luck legitimately using the DVD logo. I've not heard of anyone working that out except the big boys.

Jake Russell
August 26th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Ok yep thats what I thought. Like I said I dont really consider if you replicate that you're a 'big boy'. Most, if not all rep houses will have the dvd-video logo license so maybe ask the art dept to send you the .eps or like I mentioned get them to insert the logo for you.

If you're not replicating then I know if you search/post 2-pop, apple dvdsp boards etc someone will give you a link to some .ai files of the logo.

Jake

Nathan Gifford
August 26th, 2003, 07:52 PM
I kind of wonder if its all that important to include a DVD label. CD or DVD both will play on most DVD players.

Arnaldo Paixao
August 27th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Rob is right.
My mistake about the Dolby fee.

Bjørn, if you have an email you can post here, maybe I have something for you.

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Peter Jefferson
August 28th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Dolby Trademarks and icons are licensed under Dolby Labs as mentioned.
You MUST filll out a Trademark and Standarisation agreement before you can use it.
You must also explain what AUTHORISED SW you are using to encode the video with as well as format.

All icons and logos must carry acknowledgment blurbs.
Icons can only be used when using that particular format (5.1, 4.0 surround etc)

go to www.dolby.com and check out the licensing area.
There is also info on website logo usage and correct phrasing of context re dolby "language"

People at Dolby (ie Allie) have been VERY helpful with me, you shouldnt have any probs.

as for logos, you can find them by doing a google search.

I think the DVD logos trademark must adhere to a certain minimum bitrate (similar to Dolbys requirement) which single layered discs cannot phisically exceed due to size (prolly about 40mins worth of footage at 9000kbps is what u can fit on a 4.4gb dvdr)
I honestly dont know as i dont have a use for teh DVD logos as i make my own.