View Full Version : Any Core I7 users yet?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Jeff Harper
March 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Dale, the project was already previously assembled in 8.0c. I haven't created a project from scratch in 8.1 yet, but I'll keep in mind what you suggest, thank you Dale.

Jeff Harper
March 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I added additional PSU and found I can now hit 4.0 and appears stable, but i can't confirm with Prime because temps are too high to run it safely: 78C in idle! But I have confirmed my psu was holding me back.

Boot times have lessened, and machine seems more responsive.

Backed off on the CPU speed, but when I find suitable cooling solution at least I can run at the increased speed as I had wanted.

John Peterson
March 20th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Well I increased my PSU from 850 to 1350 and I have found I can now hit 4.0 and appears stable, but i can't confirm with Prime because temps are too high to run it safely: 78C in idle! But I have confirmed my psu was holding me back. Obviously, I am now a firm believer in you can't have too much power!

Boot times have lessened, and machine seems more responsive. Very happy I upped power.

Obviously I am powering down and backing off on the CPU speed, but when I find suitable cooling solution at least I can run as fast as I want.

Not sure how a larger power supply alone can increase boot times and responsiveness.

John

Jeff Harper
March 20th, 2009, 05:41 AM
By responsiveness I am referring to accessing HDs, not OS, BTW, so my post was misleading. I was having issues accessing HDs running off of PCIe raid card. Those issues have gone since adding second PSU.

DVDA was really dragging when opening projects from those two drives. Now it is lightning quick. The only thing I can guess is that possibly there was less than optimum power that did not allow for correct operation of the drives running from the PCIe card. John, I don't know why this is either. This is the second incident in which I was underpowered and changed PSUs to find improvement, particularly relating to accessing HDs or transferring files from one drive to another, especiially for drives running off of a PCIe card.

The first time it occured I had a host of issues that vanished with a new PSU. In that case I was seriously underpowered (350 watts) where I should have been running at least 600 watts.

And when I say boot times have improved I actually meant the pre-windows portion of the boot process, the time spent in POST has shortened. Actual boot times of windows is the same. I do not have an answer for why that is either, but I have seen similar claims made by others in oveclocking forums.

Many of these "issues" which I have are self-inflicted. Who really needs 8 internal hard drives + externals? While there are those that do, the vast majority of us here do not. On top if that, a case with 5 fans, 4 add-in cards, and 12GB of memory and oveclocked are overkill. I certainly don't need 12GB of memory for example or an audio card. Onboard sound and 6GB of memory would be more than sufficient.

Jeff Harper
March 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Disregard message

Jeff Harper
March 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
OK, I'm rendering a 1:45 (that's one minute and forty five seconds) clip for Blu Ray (8mbps) with MB effect and it is scheduled to take 52 minutes.

Unblievable. And I mean that in a bad way.

Darren Burns
March 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I am in the process of putting a proposal together for a new NLE computer and could use some advice as I am pretty much a novice. I work for a non-profit so the budget isn’t bottomless but I have been asked what I need, so strike while the iron is hot. I was looking at the system Gary put together (post #203 March 4th) but think I will have a lot of trouble justifying a $400 video card especially as I am using Vegas Pro 8 which doesn’t utilize GPU. I am only editing SD video and not doing anything too complex/tricky. Most of the videos are about an hour to two hours. I do need to render to PAL occasionally so rendering speed is important. With my current system 25min of SD video took 4 hrs to render from NTSC source to PAL.

I was thinking:
* Intel i7 920 processor
* Asus P6T Deluxe X58 based motherboard
* 6GB RAM triple channel
* 64 bit OS (XP Pro or Vista????)
* ASUS EN9600GT video card
* 850w power supply??
* 2x1TB drives – 1xSystem/Media, 1xRender Drive
or
* 3x500GB drives – 1xSystem, 1xMedia, 1xRender Drive

I read on another site about using three drives in the system, as described above. Is there any real benefit to that or is two larger drives adequate? I run a very lean system so space on the system drive really isn’t an issue.

Is anything above overkill, future proofing taken into consideration? I am working with donated money after all.

Now to potentially open a can of worms… XP Pro 64 bit or Vista 64 bit?

Gary didn’t mention what speed RAM he used in their system. If I am looking at overclocking the system do I need 1600MHz or will the 1333MHz be sufficient. With the fact that they are the same price on TigerDirect does it really matter?

Will an 850w power supply be ok or should I go smaller/larger?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Harper
March 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
If I may recommend:

OS drive (media never should be on same drive)
Get a Western Digital Velociraptor (they are runing about $150 or so). Its only 150GB but I challenge anyone to fill an OS drive more than 30 -40GB. It doesn't make sense any way shape or form to think you need more than 150GB for a OS drive. Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - Internal Hard Drives (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136296)

Media drive: Western Digital Black (no you do not need a separate drive for rendering, though there are those who disagree) I run 10GB of hard drives and would never waste a drive for rendering only. Render to your project file, wherever you put it.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284)

Backup Drive 1TB same as above

Ram could be G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $95 . This RAM has among the highest ratings on Newegg, for good reason, its great and its cheap. Not the fastest timings, but I love it. I'm overclocking a 920 at 3.8 with it. At $95 there is no need to get slow ram.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225)

Darren Burns
March 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks Jeff. I have separate OS and Media drives at the moment. After reading that it might improve rendering speed having separate media/render drives I wondered if putting the source media on the OS drive would have the same effect. The more I think about it now I don't know why I let my brain wonder off down that track.

Jeff Harper
March 25th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Well, good luck with your new build! It will be great.

Joe Bowey
March 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I am also thinking of building a i7 system. I recently put a new harddrive and memerory into my wifes laptop and reinstalled everything including the OS. I had no problems so I was wondering if I should attempt to build a system myself?

Jeff Harper
March 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
As the other more experienced people around here will tell you, building your own has advantages, and pitfalls even if you're experienced.

Before building your own look at this page: Intel i7 (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/landingpages/intel/i7/)

I cannot recommend the company because I don't know them, but their prices appear to be excellent, and their $995 system appears to be a lot for the money. I would look at them very hard it I were going i7.

Sam Renkin
March 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM
This message is for those of us having problems with (a) Dell XPS Studio 435MT eSATA ports or (b) Vegas Pro 8.1 running on 64-bit Vista, or worse, BOTH ... which is me.

Dell has now replaced my computer, but the new one still does not recognize an HD connected with eSATA. I have returned both my external HD and eSATA cable for replacement, to rule out the possibility that it's the other components - but I fear it's an inherent Dell design problem.

For those having freeze/crash problems with 8.1, I've also experienced this and it's really frustrating. I built a 4 minute SD video from scratch on my i7 using 8.1. Of course, I was using my external HD connected via USB 2.0 instead of eSATA. The file began locking up (not responding) after I'd placed about 30 of the project media clips in the timeline. After that, all efforts to launch the .veg file failed - it would freeze while loading the project media.

Fortunately, I was able to move the source media and .veg file to my other PC (32-bit Vista with Vegas Pro 8.0c) and open it. I re-linked the project media files, and finished the video without problem.

The luster of i7 and Vegas Pro potential is wearing off quickly for me.

Jeff Harper
March 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Sam, sorry to hear about your issues, very frustrating.

Vegas 8.1 is not working well for lots of folks (me included). Your problem there is easily solved by abandoning it for now. It works fine for many, but for some it doesn't work at all.

As for your PC it is unfortunate Dell has put out so many of these systems with poor estata controlers or MBs or whatever the issue is.

As I have suggested in the past to others, you can ditch the onboard esata if necessary and use a $50 card that even has built in raid, it is the 1430SA by adaptec. The only catch is it is PCIe so you would need a slot for it.

While you may have been burned on the esata aspect of your PC, unless you find another solution, the only way you might be able to move on would be to go this route. In other words accept that the built in esata on the Dell is worthless and buy a card.

If you have a slot, the good news is this card has built in RAID and TWO connectors. I paid $100 for my card over a year ago, so these cards are really are inexpensive and are a better esata solution anyway since you have raid and dual connectors.

Frankly, from all of the complaints about the estata with the Dells I am sure I would take the bullet and move on.

Alastair has got his going, I believe, so there may be hope. Good luck.

Gary Bettan
March 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Videoguys DIY 7 - Intel Core i7 w/ Vista64

New Intel Core i7 processor makes 64 bit computing a reality!

Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' DIY7: Intel Core i7 (http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/C/DIY+Systems/Videoguys+DIY++Intel+Core+i7/0xe07f65920351fbf3ed8f9892355dfda0.aspx)

Gary

Sam Renkin
March 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks Jeff and I'm sorry to hear you've had the same issues with 8.1.

Can I install 8.0c on my 64-bit machine?

I can live without eSATA for a while, I've got 2 internal drives going. And I'll definitely look at a PCI-E solution.

Jeff Harper
March 26th, 2009, 10:42 AM
8.0c run fine on 64 bit. Its what I run. My rendering speeds are excellent. You are not losing much by using 32 bit version, don't be bummed about it.

Some get much better speed with 8.1, some get slower, or so I've read.

8.1 is so hit and miss I don't consider it a loss to run 8.0c instead.

Hopefully next release will be more reliable for us.

Nick Krause
March 26th, 2009, 10:59 AM
In response to Jeff's comment about buying from the referenced company. I ordered mine from them yesterday. I researched a lot and since I have never built my own computer, decided to order from them. Will let you know how it goes.

Jeff Harper
March 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Nick, a LOT of people will be waiting to hear how it goes! Their prices are insanely low for a pre-built pc with the ASUS MB. They look to be of great quality.

Let us know!

Terry Esslinger
March 30th, 2009, 01:06 PM
An update on my i7 435MT eSATA fiasco.

After all the hours with tech support and failing to correct the problem (eSATA does not recognize external HD) Dell sent me a new mother board and sent a tech to install it. After a couple of hours of work ended up with the same problem. It looks like Dell is putting out a DEFECTIVE product that will not work, of course they will never say that! I will be looking into Jeffs PCIe board work around but my belief in Dell, which had been fairly solid, has been shattered. This is now two blatently defective products that I have purchased from Dell, the other being an LCD TV - a huge mistake.

Terry Esslinger
March 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
If you need an alternative for esata, the adaptec 1220SA cost $50 at Newegg, is PCIe, has two esata connections, and has built-in hardware raid.

Jeff, checked this card out. It looks like it only has internal SATA connections. What am I missing?

Alastair Brown
March 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
An update on my i7 435MT eSATA fiasco.

After all the hours with tech support and failing to correct the problem (eSATA does not recognize external HD) Dell sent me a new mother board and sent a tech to install it. After a couple of hours of work ended up with the same problem. It looks like Dell is putting out a DEFECTIVE product that will not work, of course they will never say that! I will be looking into Jeffs PCIe board work around but my belief in Dell, which had been fairly solid, has been shattered. This is now two blatently defective products that I have purchased from Dell, the other being an LCD TV - a huge mistake.

They can't all be bad as mine is also a Studio XPS 435MT and the eSATA does work. First one did fry but...so far.....so good.

Darren Burns
March 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
As the other more experienced people around here will tell you, building your own has advantages, and pitfalls even if you're experienced.

Before building your own look at this page: Intel i7 (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/landingpages/intel/i7/)

I cannot recommend the company because I don't know them, but their prices appear to be excellent, and their $995 system appears to be a lot for the money. I would look at them very hard it I were going i7.

Jeff, I had started looking at companies that would put together a customised system, wanting to avoid the pitfalls of DIY. The site you listed is one that I have been looking at. I also have been looking at this company Custom i7 (http://www.avadirect.com/). They have many brands from which you can select components. Knowing the exact brand of what I am ordering is putting this one just in front of others at the moment. It seems they have a delivery time of about four weeks though. Reseller Ratings give them a 9.4/10 lifetime rating which is a plus.

Mark Williams
March 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Look at avadirect.com. Higher customer rating and choice of top-of-the line components.

Jeff Harper
March 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Google any company first. Reseller ratings are HIGHLY questionable. Google "company name" + problems and you might be surprised what you find. Be careful, I NEVER trust reseller ratings, but that is just me, they can be manipulated by companies too easily.

I just googled the ones above, ava, cyberpc direct, etc and you should too. I'm almost sorry I brought them up now.

If you have a microcenter around you you can go there, pick out the parts, and they'll assemble it for you. Good luck. I'm going to stop bringing up names for companies I haven't dealt with!

Darren Burns
March 31st, 2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Jeff. I always take negative review with a grain of salt because people are always more likely to write when they are upset than when they are happy. Having said that what I read about said companies made me a little concerned.

We have a Micro Center just up the interstate in Denver. Do you know roughly what they might charge to assemble a system?

Has anyone had any dealing with Puget Systems. I did what you suggested this time Jeff and went a little further than Reseller Ratings. I didn't find anything negative like I did with the other companies but wondered if there may be something hidden away somewhere.

Jeff Harper
March 31st, 2009, 03:55 PM
I know what you mean about the negative reviews, and I take the same view. Dummies who don't know how to turn on a PC can make a company look bad. It's a shame. On the other hand, it really is a jungle on the net, and can be disheartening.

I do not know what Microcenter charges, but they'll tell you...call'em up.

If you are not sure what parts to buy, ask for some of us to post our specs, and more than a few (including me) will be happy to share.

I for one went with the PT6 Asus Motherboard Version 2 (new one) which microsoft doesn't carry, but they do carry they the P6T, which is a fine board according to many around here.

You probably must buy your parts at Microcenter for them to assemble, by the way.

Dale Guthormsen
April 1st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Good afternoon,

I was putting a pci e firewire card in my xps studio. In the past I never needed to use a power plug in the old pci cards. The cord that came with it resembles no free plugs at all. Was wondering if it need an adapter to a smaller plug or such. Now I know why I opted to not build!!! I thought it would be easy, can't even figure out a simple card!!!

Thanks

Jeff Harper
April 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Terry, my apologies, you want the 1225SA. Newegg.com - 1225sa adaptec (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=1225sa+adaptec)

They list two versions and I have no idea of the differences.

Dale Guthormsen
April 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Good afternoon,

The card said it needed poser and it works fine with out the extra power, go figure.

In the next year I am going to build my own one of these, and if the dell fails again it will be a lot sooner than later!!

Jeff Harper
April 2nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Dale, I understand how you feel. While overall I've had pretty good experience with Dell, I bought underpowered systems that were not designed for video editing and that drove me to build my own again after a year off from DIY.

I believe for a while I even argued pretty adamantly that you couldn't do as well building your own as you could by buying pre-built. I was wrong, very wrong. I was even warned about certain brands having inferior power supplies, and I ignored it. And I paid the price.

I now have a monster of a case that will probably last for years, 1350 watts of power that will probably be adequate for a long time, and I feel great about it. I only need to upgrade the CPU and MOBO next time, (hopefully not the ram) and while that is a pain, I am proficient enough at it that I actually enjoyed doing it this time. Went without a hitch.

Jeff Harper
April 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Darren, I was at Microcenter today and asked about charges to build a system. They quoted me $86. I think that is waay reasonalble.

Darren Burns
April 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Jeff. I was just going to send the Denver store an email for a quote but couldn't find a direct email address so will call them in the morning. After looking at their website this is what I am considering. I welcome any comments, suggestions and advice. I am using Sony Vegas so GPU isn't a major factor. Would love to hear what others have in their system.

* Intel i7 920
* ASUS P6T Deluxe
* 6Gb Triple Channel (DDR3) 1600MHz (Corsair)
* WD Caviar Black 500Gb (system)
* WD Caviar Black 750Gb or 1Tb (media)
* EVGA e-GeForce 9800 GT 512MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.0
* Case: Antec 300
* PSU: Corsair TX 650 Watt ATX Power Supply

I must admit I wasn't overly impressed the the selection of DVD burners and card readers on their site. Jeff, Is what they have on their website the full selection or do they have others in stock.

Depending on the budget I am given I would consider upgrading to a velociRaptor for the system drive. Is there anything else I should look at upgrading?

Jeff Harper
April 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
If you are going to overclock, you should get at least 850W PSU. If not consider 750W. The i7 is power hungry.

You can buy a DVd burner and card reader elsewhere. If you get externals of both of those they can be quite handy. I personally have an external DVD burner that I love (Sony) and it has been more reliable than any internal drive I've ever owned.

I imagine if it is not listed it's not available, but remember they are going to have misc items laying around the store that might not be listed.

Dale Guthormsen
April 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
jeff, and others,

what would be really good now is to have a posting of those integrated systems that have successfully gone together well and work as high profile editing machines.

then someone like myself, can look at the lists of components and make solid decisions on what they want to invest in and actually know they can pull it off!!!!

I am sure I could build one, just do not have enough knowledge to know what components to acquire so i do not waste time and money in particular.

could be done on a spread sheet.

any takers???

Jeff Harper
April 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Videoguys lists their build ingredients, but I don't agree with their selection of a 1TB OS drive. It doesn't make sense to me to not buy a Velociraptor at $159.

David Wayne Groves
April 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM
My new iCore 7 Build...

MSI X58 Pro
iCore 7 920 2.67Ghz
6Gig Tri-Channel OCZ 10666
EVGA 295Gtx
Auzentech 7.1 Prelude
3-1TB Hds Seagate
LG Blu-ray Burner
Lite on Lightscribe DVD Burner
800Watt Tagan PS

Replaced my Q9550 Quadcore setup...
Rendering recent HD project with Q9550 quadcore using Vegas 8 Pro exceeded 3 Hours
Same project using the new iCore 7 920 took no more than 1 Hour 10 minutes....
Huge difference......Well worth the investment...

Ken Steadman
April 6th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Videoguys lists their build ingredients, but I don't agree with their selection of a 1TB OS drive. It doesn't make sense to me to not buy a Velociraptor at $159.

The raptors are past their time. I didn't even bother to use them in my new build. Look at the read write times it's a minimal improvement at best.

from toms hardware
ave write
raptor 150gb 101 Mb/s
seagate 1.5 tb 98.2 Mb/s

ave read
raptor 150gb 102 Mb/s
seagate 1.5 tb 99 Mb/s

maximum write
raptor 150gb 123.9 Mb/s
seagate 1.5 tb 127.3 Mb/s

maximum read
raptor 150gb 124.6 Mb/s
seagate 1.5 tb 127.3 Mb/s

Once you factor in cost per GB is a no brainer to me to run the 1.5 TB Seagates instead.

Jeff Harper
April 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Ken, you shouldn't focus on transfer speeds/read write times when discussing drives for an OS. You will come out looking uninformed, to put it politely. Access/Seek and I/O performance times are what counts. I/O performance of the Velocirpator is well over 2X that of the Seagate (193 I/O per second vs the Seagate at 90 I/O per second).

Velociraptors are a 10K drive and are by far much better suited for OS applications. They access data MUCH faster than the Seagate, it isn't even a contest. Access/seek time is what are looked at for OS drives, as well as I/O performance, which is where the Seagate is "disappointing" (Toms Hardware). Transfer speed is relatively irrelevant for an OS drive.

The Caviar Black (my personal choice for 1tb drive) outperforms the Seagate in the most important areas and is much more reliable. If one looks only at transfer speeds, you are missing the picture altogether.

The Seagate is a poor choice for workstations that require high transaction performance, as Tom's says.

As of now the Velociraptors are still dollar for dollar a better choice than even SSD drives.

Transfer rates are more important for drives used as backup, etc., and while the 1.5 Seagate has fast transfer rates it is by far the most problem plagued drive that I have ever seen. If you google the darned thing you will find page after page of DOA drives, drives that die after a few months, and even the firmware is not helping everyone. I am a hard drive fanatic, and I would not use one if it was free.

According to one physicist, the drives are an accident waiting to happen. If anyone here is using them with good results, that is fine, and my compliments to you. I have nothing against them, but as an OS drive they are among the poorest of choices.

Additionally, to have a 500GB or greater OS drive allows the page file and program files to be spread over a ridiculously large area unless you set your page file to a static size. And no, degragmenting does not solve this issue. And even then why would you want an OS drive with more than 50GB or even 100GB of data on it? You are not supposed to put media on the OS drive anyway.

To quote Tom's Hardware: "This is reflected in the workstation I/O performance per watt efficiency test, where it is just a bit better than the aged, power-hungry Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 with its five platters."

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, ST31500341AS (1.5 GB) - Review Tom's Hardware : Seagate's 1.5TB Barracuda: Bigger And Better? (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Seagate-Barracuda-1.5-TB,2032-2.html)

Gary Bettan
April 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Guys - some very good points on both sides about system drive choice. I'll throw the big wrinkle in. It may not happen with DIY8, but sometime in the near future system drives will be SSD. We are already seeing this in some high end laptop configurations.

I like our choice of system drive for the reasons given in the article. That said, putting in a 10K RPM drive would increase performance for many OS tasks. So the trade off in size vs. speed (seek / access) is really up to personal preference.

Gary

Jeff Harper
April 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Gary, SSDs are an exciting prospect, Gary, for the future, but you are correct, of course, they are not yet ready for prime time for the video editor. Many still do not have the performance advantage of Velociraptors or SAS drives. That is going to change, of course, but as of now....no.

Their use in laptops is the perfect application for them as of now.

Regarding the small drive vs large OS drive thing: I noted in the article you say, regarding small boot drive: "While it's (good for office computing and maybe gamers, it's not so good for video editing. You don’t ever want to have a clogged up C: drive in your NLE workstation."

I wonder how or why the average video editior fill a 150GB boot drive more than even 40%?

I have Vegas 8.1 and 8.0c, Premier Pro, The Adobe Master Collection which includes Photoshop, After effects, Fireworks, Adobe Acrobat Pro, etc., Nero 8, and my page file is 15GB in size, yet my 150GB drive is 75% empty!

You can use the 1GB drives for OS and it will work fine. I personally love the performance of a fast drive. Programs open SO fast and perform so well. Photoshop opens for me in less 1 second.

I still find Vegas HD projects open way too slowly, but there is nothing to be done for that as of now short of putting my media files on a RAID array.

I noticed your RAID array for your media storage drive, and now with HD (HD is new to me) you've got me thinking about RAID again. With SD I didn't need it, but this HD stuff is killing me!

Ken Steadman
April 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Additionally, to have a 500GB or greater OS drive allows the page file and program files to be spread over a ridiculously large area unless you set your page file to a static size. And no, degragmenting does not solve this issue. And even then why would you want an OS drive with more than 50GB or even 100GB of data on it? You are not supposed to put media on the OS drive anyway.

I dont my use OS drive for media storage it has 5 partitions
1 XPpro I use for day to day stuff word/etc with firewall and molasses-ware stuff for web use.
2 Vista 64 with only my editing progs
3 Vista 64 with only gaming progs
4 Windows7 for testing
5 Empty partition for future use.
This way I get to use the machine variably without slowing down anyone function.

Then I have a 4 drive array for source files.
and lastly 1 drive I use a write to drive for renders and I use this for none editing media (music files mainly).
I guess on my last computer I wasnt impressed with the raptor vs the raid in that computer. Seems I'm wrong.

Jeff Harper
April 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
If you don't see the difference then it doesn't matter. You're happy, and that is all that counts.

Dale Guthormsen
April 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Gentlemen,

I partitioned my 750 gb os drive that came with my 435 xps. I simply cut it into two. would it be wiser to nail it down even smaller? I use it only for editing aand only plug it in to go online for support or such. I run adobe suite, some other video user programs and Vegas of course. I do have Office on it but that is about all.

Now, I have a box for hot plugging in two hard drives whenever i want. Can a Velociraptor be benificial in this circumstance?

I had two seagate hd's die two clicks apart this spring!!! I want to move away from them!!!

Jeff Harper
April 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM
The WD 1tb Blacks are very nice as media drives. If you're needing media drives, Raptors are great but small. I do use a Velociraptor as a "work" drive (or a some people call it scratch drive). I also use a VR as my OS drive. But if you're already running fine, you don't need to change unless you have money to spare.

I personally like to keep my OS drive closer to under 50GB. Less area for things to be spread over.

Re: hot plugging, I'm think some drives might be better suited for that purpose than others, but I'm not sure.

Jeff Harper
April 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
For those looking to upgrade their PC, I need to announce I just rendered a 65 minute SD video video, with some slow motion, and some color correction, in 11:30. I knew this thing was fast, but even I am shocked. This happened on a i7 920 processor rendering to the same hard drive as the original media is located. I'm sure there are those who get faster render times, and I'm not bragging. It is just such a time saver.

Darren Burns
April 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Jeff, I just had to wipe the drool off my desk, especially as my new NLE computer has been put back a couple of months. :(

This is a good thing though. If we bought it now it would end up in the "dungeon" rather than at my desk (some wierd decisions coming from higher up). Hopefully the price of the i7 will have dropped even more by that time.

Jeff Harper
April 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Lets hope so.

John Travis Lisnam
April 30th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Greetings everyone, have been reading your results from a very long time. I do not know if I am doing anything wrong on my vegas 8.1 but I try to render the rendertest-hdv.veg and everytime I come up with 35/37 seconds.

My settings in Vegas is;
Profile: 60i HDV 1080-60i (1440x1080, 29.970 fps), 8 bit, BEST

Save as; suggested by user who posted the rendertest.
Audio: 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM Uncompressed.
Video: 29.97 fps, 1920x1080, Upper field first.
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000, using Sony YUV codec. OpenDML compatible.

I am not on Corei7 but Q9650, I do not know much about my system setup, I bought a second hand pc with raid 0 drive. I have been told that my processor has been o/c but I do not know how to check.

Anyone know? Please let me know.

Jeff Harper
April 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Regarding the i7 920 and overclocking: I have found that even though tests show a stable overclock at 3.8, I've been running into issues with Gearshift and Neo Scene running at that speed. Everything else has been running fine however.

I lowered my clock speed from 3.8 to 3.4 and lowered my voltages accordingly and all seems well. I'm keeping it a 3.4 from this point on. The speed difference is minimal, and I feel satisfied that I ran for a couple of months at 3.8. I never have or will achieve 4.0 which had been my goal, but because I'm not willing to invest in the more elaborate cooling solution I'm having to live with what i've got. Overall this is a great processor.