View Full Version : Major problem with one of my GL2s

John DeLuca
August 30th, 2003, 07:16 PM
While trainning my friend to be my second camera man at events, I noticed he was causing flair in the lens. I stopped him, but maybe to late. After he left, I had an strange feeling that somthing had gone wrong. I tested both of my GL2 cameras side by side. I noticed the exposer was fine, but one of them had a totally different color balance!(the one that had the flare). With both cameras set exactlly the same, under 5000k tungsten lighting the flared camera had a major blue cast while the other looked netrual, with daylight mode under tungsten the flared camera looked way to warm, however greycarded they look the same(basically a different color balance when put on factory light balance modes). I tried to clean the heads, and came up empty handed. If someone can give some good advice on what to do next I would really appreciate it, I have a three year warrenty on everything.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio

Jeff Donald
August 30th, 2003, 07:21 PM
How was he causing flair in the lens? How is the white balance set for each camera? What mode are you operating the cameras in?

John DeLuca
August 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM
The flair was caused by shafts of light coming through the trees(not pointed directly at the sun for a long time). I would estimate he did it for atleast a half a second to a second (that I saw, and who knows if hes being honest with me and did it for longer peroids of time when I was away from the camera). The light balance was set for tungsten light(during the test). Basically one gives a cooler balance and one gives a warmer one with the exact same settings. They where in frames mode. The thing that scares me the most is that they are VERY different color balances, not even close and one the same settings.

Jeff Donald
August 30th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Pointing a camera at bright daylight sources (such as sunlight passing through trees) should cause no problem unless done for a prolonged period of time. Have you tried manually white balancing each camera?

John DeLuca
August 30th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Yes, they seem to be very similar. My main concern is to why the factory light balances are so different. What could cause this? BTW- Thanks for all the help.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio

Jeff Donald
August 31st, 2003, 06:30 AM
If the cameras aren't matched and as far off in color as you describe, I would send one in for repair. Send a sample tape, showing the problem and a complete written explanation of the problem and how the camera was setup. Hopefully the repair facility can duplicate the problem and fix it for you.

Be careful of the all automatic, green box, mode that many Canon cameras have. When in that mode, many functions are disabled. In performing your tests make sure the cameras are setup identically.

Ed Frazier
August 31st, 2003, 07:15 AM
John, I'm sure you have probably checked this, but is it possible he accidently pushed the Custom Preset button and activated a setting with the color gain or phase set differently?

Just a thought.

John DeLuca
September 1st, 2003, 01:10 PM
Acually that was one of the first things I checked. I am sending them back for repair, but I thought it was strange that I noticed it after the flair, even though flair shouldnt have caused this, it was the only thing I could think of that happened. Strange coincidence perhaps???? Thanks for the help

John DeLuca Akron, OH