View Full Version : New Sennheiser Wireless Generation coming out?

Pages : [1] 2

Benni Katz
December 7th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Hey all,
as I just saw on the official Sennheiser page, there seems to be a EW 100 G3 Series
coming out.
If you take a look here you can see that there is already something without text included in navigation:

Sennheiser Worldwide: Microphones, Headphones and Wireless Systems (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_broadcast-eng-film_ew-100-g3)

Does anybody know something about that or am I just wrong with my assumption?

Andy Wilkinson
December 8th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Interesting! When I looked at your link yesterday it did indeed show a page at the final stages of construction about a G3 (alas without a picture of the 'G3'). Today it just redirects me to the official home page with a message saying 'function under construction'.

I know no more than you do but this certainly suggests that a G3 (with whatever feature set it might have over a G2) is maybe just around the corner....

Dan Brockett
December 8th, 2008, 09:47 AM
They have to have something to sell to all of those G2 700Mhz owners who are out in the cold!

Dan

Michael Liebergot
December 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM
There will be a new G3 line coming out sometime next year. I have never heard an exact date for release on this, but have spoken with someone from Sennheiser a few weeks ago, while inquiring about the new FCC rulings and asked him about the upcoming G3 series. he didn't have much info at the time, but did say that they will have a G3 system sometime next year.

It will be very similar to the G2 line, but will improve on some aspects such as pickup range and I think he mentioned better fidelity. But I don;t think that it will be anything earth shattering. Certainly nothing that could help out in regards to possible interference of new deices coming to market for wireless broadband use, PDA's, cell phones, etc., which will be using the wireless white space 500-600 mhz arena.

Benni Katz
December 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Thx for the information!
Somehow thats what I expected.So current G2 owners wont really feel they have to update their system.

Ivan Snoeckx
April 1st, 2009, 05:32 AM
You were right benni. Here they are. The Sennheiser ew 100 G3 Series.

Sennheiser ew 100 G3 Series (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_broadcast-eng-film_ew-100-g3)

John Willett
April 2nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
You were right benni. Here they are. The Sennheiser ew 100 G3 Series.

Sennheiser ew 100 G3 Series (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_broadcast-eng-film_ew-100-g3)

It was announced at Frankfurt yesterday.

The nice thing for the video user is that the camera-mount receiver is now diversity (it uses the output cable as the second antenna).

Michael Liebergot
April 2nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
It was announced at Frankfurt yesterday.

The nice thing for the video user is that the camera-mount receiver is now diversity (it uses the output cable as the second antenna).
That's pretty cool.

I was wondering how it could have been diversity with only having one antenna.

Bill Ravens
April 2nd, 2009, 08:03 AM
I don't know what kind of experiences others have had with the senn ew100 G2, but mine have been pretty bad. These devices are all but useless. Despite my using the search function to try to find a free freq, the RF signal is maintained as long as the xmitter and receiver are 6 inches away from each other. As soon as the talent turns, moves, or otherwise changes position, the RF signal is lost. I spent good money on these wireless sets, and I've found them to be absolutely frustrating and useless. I don't think I would invest in another Senn wireless system.

Ivan Snoeckx
April 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM

That's very smart solution!

John Willett
April 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
I don't know what kind of experiences others have had with the senn ew100 G2, but mine have been pretty bad. These devices are all but useless. Despite my using the search function to try to find a free freq, the RF signal is maintained as long as the xmitter and receiver are 6 inches away from each other. As soon as the talent turns, moves, or otherwise changes position, the RF signal is lost. I spent good money on these wireless sets, and I've found them to be absolutely frustrating and useless. I don't think I would invest in another Senn wireless system.

This sounds like it's more down to you than the equipment, I'm afraid.

It looks like you are in the USA - are you using a version "C"? These frequencies are no longer used for this purpose and this version is now no longer sold in the USA - you could be getting blatted by the new legal user of this band.

An alternative possibility is the transmitter antenna - if the antenna is touching the body you will get an attenuation of the signal by about 60dB - worse if the person is sweating. So try and get the antenna off the body by at least 1cm (1/2").

Transmission can also be affected if the person has any metal fibres in the clothing.

This very short distance is nothing to do with the equipment itself - unless you are unlucky enough to have a faulty unit or have bought a fake off the internet (you *are* sure you have a genuine system aren't you?).

G2 systems work reliably over distances of many metres (up to about 100 metres normally) all over the world and a fault as you describe can only be:-
A) It's a fake
B) Attenuation due to body absorption of the transmitter
C) Too much metal close to the receive antenna
D) You are being blatted by a powerful transmitter close by
E) You have a faulty unit.

I hope this helps.

Marco Leavitt
April 2nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
John,
Given what little information we have to go on, it seems a little presumptious to assume this is operator error. If you do a search, you'll find a number of people in here with similar experiences with the G2. In some areas, the system apparently has a lot of trouble. In my own experience, the G2 has performed reasonably well, but no where near the reliability or range of the AT system. I'm assuming that's what this new "electronic diversity" function is supposed to correct. I've also never heard of fake G2s. This is pretty sophisticated gear. Are you sure fakes exist?

Bill Ravens
April 2nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
G2 systems work reliably over distances of many metres (up to about 100 metres normally) all over the world and a fault as you describe can only be:-
A) It's a fake
B) Attenuation due to body absorption of the transmitter
C) Too much metal close to the receive antenna
D) You are being blatted by a powerful transmitter close by
E) You have a faulty unit.

I hope this helps.

a-Purchased from B&H-one of this site's sponsors/vendors. Doubt that it's fake
b-it fails whether the antenna is touching something or not
c-no metal, unless its my zipper or my tooth fillings. I don't wear a gold necklace... ;o)
d-now, this could be a possibility, however, other locations, several miles from here, fail more miserably than in my studio
e-how can I tell if it's faulty? It has never worked, not from the day I purchased it brand new.

In my experience with RF equipment, this unit behaves like a distinctly underpowered transmitter. The level of brand loyalty astonishes me. I am not thrilled with Sennheiser equipment. It's OK stuff, just not the best on the market. I agree, the AT stuff seems better for the money.

Michael Liebergot
April 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
a-Purchased from B&H-one of this site's sponsors/vendors. Doubt that it's fake
b-it fails whether the antenna is touching something or not
c-no metal, unless its my zipper
d-now, this could be a possibility, however, other locations, several miles from here, fail more miserably than in my studio
e-how can I tell if it's faulty? It has never worked, not from the day I purchased it brand new.
Bill sounds like a faulty unit. I have used my G2 systems (3 of them) in very high trafficked environments and never really experienced a problem.

One quick question though...

What positions are your antennas facing?

Both your transmitter and receiver antenna should be facing in the same direction.
So if your transmitter antenna is facing up then your receiver antenna should be facing up as well. Same goes for downwards, sideways/flat etc.

You might find the best reception is having the antenna face downwards towards the ground, for both transmitter and receiver. The reason for this is that there is less of a distance for the signal to travel before bouncing the floor, than if the antenna is facing upwards and bouncing off of the ceiling or walls.

If you are still having issues with your unit, then you should contact Sennheiser and have them take a look at the unit.

Marco Leavitt
April 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Bill,
The G2 is probably the most used location wireless system in the world, so it obviously works. Still, some people, such as yourself seem to have no luck with it. I couldn't say why. It may be you have a bad block for your area, or even that the unit is malfunctioning. I'd call a wedding or event company in your area (most of them use G2s), and ask what blocks they're on and how well the system is working out for them.

Bill Ravens
April 2nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Thanx for the suggestions, guys.
As for antenna orientation, I've tried them all, however, I should note that when the xmitter is belt mounted on the talent's backside, and the receiver is mounted on the cam, it's very difficult to control antenna orientation. There are specific orientations that work, however, they are extremely sensitive and the slightest variation will cause a loss of RF signal. As you must know, dropouts are definitely unacceptable.
FWIW, my freq block is 626-662

John Willett
April 3rd, 2009, 06:18 AM
I've also never heard of fake G2s. This is pretty sophisticated gear. Are you sure fakes exist?

Yes - they *do* exist.

John Willett
April 3rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Thanx for the suggestions, guys.
As for antenna orientation, I've tried them all, however, I should note that when the xmitter is belt mounted on the talent's backside, and the receiver is mounted on the cam, it's very difficult to control antenna orientation. There are specific orientations that work, however, they are extremely sensitive and the slightest variation will cause a loss of RF signal. As you must know, dropouts are definitely unacceptable.
FWIW, my freq block is 626-662

Try changing the clip over so the antenna points down - this often helps.

Antenna up and the talent sweating will reduce the transmission amazingly.

Your frequencies are block B.

From what you said, you could have a faulty unit - I would get it checked to be sure.

Bill Ravens
April 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Thanx John...
I also have a SKP100 G2 microphone xmitter that behaves exactly the same as the ex100 xmitter. That would imply, if there is a problem, it's with my receiver. I'd be interested to try the xmitters with the new diversity receiver, but, I won't buy one until I have more confidence with this system.

Rick Reineke
April 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
These are probably a faulty units or user error. I use my G2s in (RF hell) midtown Manhattan all the time without issue, however due diligence must be used in selecting frequencies, gain staging, ect., But even my Lectros require proper set-up... but are more forgiving.

Marco Leavitt
April 3rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Hey John,
I'm very curious about the faux G2 issue. Can you point us to any further details about that on the net?

Bob Grant
April 4th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I'm not John but I do know something about G2 knock offs as I work for a Senny reseller and have heard this from the importer's (Syntec) rep.

I believe you can identify fake units by the country of manufacture. If it's not USA then it's a fake. Only the first prototype batch was made in Germany and that's what got cloned, right down to the label. Aside from that they are very convincing knock offs, you'd need to do an A/B comparison on the PCBs to really spot the differences. Performance is not as good as the genuine article so anyone having issues like Bill's should have their units checked out.

John Willett
April 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hey John,
I'm very curious about the faux G2 issue. Can you point us to any further details about that on the net?

There are loads of fakes being sold on the internet - same thing happens with Shure.

The biggest clue is the price, normally.

The early Sennheiser fakes put fake Shure pocket transmitters in the kit with "Shure" changed to "Sennheiser".

They are getting better, though - as soon as someone points out how to spot a fake, they "correct" it.

The fakes tend to be low quality and unreliable, as all the money has gone into making them "look" like the real thinf and nothing on the quality.

In fact it's illegal to use a fake as they do not comply with the telecommunications regulations.

Shaun Conner
April 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Try changing the clip over so the antenna points down - this often helps.

Antenna up and the talent sweating will reduce the transmission amazingly.

Your frequencies are block B.

From what you said, you could have a faulty unit - I would get it checked to be sure.

So what if you're using a block C device? What happens then?

Shaun Conner
April 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Bump?????????

Omar Torresola
April 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I wonder if the G2 receiver will work with a G3 transmitter in the same band..

John Willett
April 17th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I wonder if the G2 receiver will work with a G3 transmitter in the same band..

Yes - and vice versa (though please bare in mind that G3 has a 42MHz window and G2 has 32MHz).

Craig Seeman
April 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM
So what if you're using a block C device? What happens then?

Sennheiser has a "discount" program based on how long you've owned your block C kit. It's not very good though IMHO but some feel anything is better than nothing. I'm in this situation too.

Although my problems don't sound as bad as Bill's I've also had issues and, like Bill, bought at B&H so it's reputable.

Occasionally I get either a building wall of hiss or some low level (but not low enough) constant noise. I can't find a cause or patterns. It happened before the 700MHz law changes. The issue is only periodic but when it happens it can really drag a shoot down. Yes I check for all the usual suspects including cell phones, electronic devices, bad cables and connections, body placement. There's no obvious rhyme or reason and it's intermittent (infrequent) enough that it would drive a maintenance person nuts trying to track down.

Craig Seeman
April 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
BTW Sennheiser info on counterfeiting is on their own site.

Sennheiser Worldwide: Microphones, Headphones and Wireless Systems (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/sound_counterfeiting)

Sennheiser USA - Counterfit (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/staticContent/counterfeit.asp?transid=1357)

Craig Seeman
April 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Sennheiser 700MHz rebate news

Sennheiser USA - Headphones, Wireless, Microphones, Noise Cancelling, Reduction, Aviation, ANC, ANR, Audiology Systems, Headphone Listening and Microphone Usage (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/)

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/pdfFiles/Pro_700MHz_Range_Rebate.pdf

example

Evolution Series
Rebate Value
 EW 100 series G2 $420 - ($10 x month of ownership)
 EW 300 series G2 $800 - ($20 x month of ownership)
 EW 500 series G2 $1000 - ($25 x month of ownership)
 EM 550 w/two transmitters $2000 - ($50 x month of ownership)

Sennheiser Evolution Wireless G2 systems, C Range - Purchased between January 1, 2006 and January 1, 2008
The rebate value is calculated considering the product series and month of ownership. The new system purchased must be at the same level or higher than the traded in system, otherwise rebate values will be calculated based on the lower system that is purchased new.

Examples:
100 series C range system bought in August 2007, new system purchased in February 2009: Rebate = $420 – ($10 x 18) = $240
EM 550 with two transmitters bought in December 2007, new system purchased in December 2008: Rebate = $2000 – ($50 x 12) = $1,400

Bill Ravens
April 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM
after reading thru everyone's recommendation, I've sent my xmitter/receiver off to Sennheiser. I'll let you know what comes of it.

Mark Ahrens
April 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'll just chime in on my disappointment with my G2 100. Works great at a distance of 6 feet . . . in the field (SouthFlorida) i get interference on channels designated clear. I only have one bank available with clear frequencies (per Sen.'s frequency chart on their website). I scan for clear channels . . . get 3 clear . . . but frequently get intermittent interference at distances over 20-30 feet.
I wouldn't recommend this set to anyone . . . by my experience.

Steve House
April 22nd, 2009, 03:26 AM
I'll just chime in on my disappointment with my G2 100. Works great at a distance of 6 feet . . . in the field (SouthFlorida) i get interference on channels designated clear. I only have one bank available with clear frequencies (per Sen.'s frequency chart on their website). I scan for clear channels . . . get 3 clear . . . but frequently get intermittent interference at distances over 20-30 feet.

You absolutely should be getting much better performance than that. I think a trip to the repair shop is in order. The G2 isn't top-shelf like Lectro or Zaxcom but it's still fully capable of professional performance - something is definitely amiss.

Andrew Dean
April 22nd, 2009, 03:45 AM
Either something is broken with your g2, or somebody has started broadcasting on one of your channels. With my G2 I can easily get 100 feet with zero interference. On a whim one time we wired up talent on a mountainside and had perfect reception from well over 1000 feet (line of site) without any hint of static. Granted, this is New Zealand, so the amount of radio interference is far less.

Until you move up to a digital diversity system, the same problems crop up with all brands. If somebody is broadcasting something on your frequency with a stronger source, your wireless just wont work. Since you get it regularly, is there any chance someone else on your crew is using a similar frequency for some other wireless device?

Just a thought. I had an old crappy CRT field monitor that would wreak havoc with any wireless system that came near it. For a long time i just thought that no wireless was reliable.

Michael Liebergot
April 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Mark, I figure that you are either using the Sennehiser A (500 mHz) or B (600 mHz) systems.
Did you happen to check out Sennheiser's Frequency chart on their website to see which system might be best suited for you particular area. For your area either the A or B frequency systems might have been a better choice than what you purchased. For example, in my area of Maryland, the A bandwidth was a slightly better choice. As I saw that there was a bit more traffic in the B frequency for the areas that I shoot.

Overall the C class (700 mHz) would have been best, but as we all know this frequency is gong away.

Knowing what frequencies are in use in your particular area is half of the battle in getting good wireless pickup.

John Willett
April 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Mark, I figure that you are either using the Sennehiser A (500 mHz) or B (600 mHz) systems.
Did you happen to check out Sennheiser's Frequency chart on their website to see which system might be best suited for you particular area. For your area either the A or B frequency systems might have been a better choice than what you purchased. For example, in my area of Maryland, the A bandwidth was a slightly better choice. As I saw that there was a bit more traffic in the B frequency for the areas that I shoot.

Overall the C class (700 mHz) would have been best, but as we all know this frequency is gong away.

Knowing what frequencies are in use in your particular area is half of the battle in getting good wireless pickup.

There should now also be a new "G" band for the USA.

Range G in G3 = 566 - 608 MHz

I think there was also a G version in G2 as well.

Craig Seeman
April 22nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
I'd thought I'd post Sennhieser's frequency USA finder for those looking at what to get for their area.

Find Available Frequencies (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/findfrequency/default.asp)

Greg Bellotte
April 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
@Mark,

South Fla is tough, anywhere near the Miami metro is jammed, not only with the local stuff, but all sorts of additional rubbish from Cuba/Nassau/etc as some radio waves carry very well over water.

I suggest starting with this website... http://74.205.3.123/ff/ and looking up active TV by your zip code. Take special note of stations ending in DT, they are digital. I have noticed that most analog receivers don't "see" digital transmissions when they scan for open channels. Nevertheless using a channel occupied by a digital station *WILL* result in poor performance. A clear channel on the receiver will not show a single bar of RF, and the green RF LED will not come on. If they do, try another freq. remembering to check before turning on the transmitter.

The other possibility is that you units are damaged or defective. I have had broken antenna wires (inside the rubber sleeving-not noticeable at all) that result in very poor reception, but still better that 6 feet. Even in Miami...

Craig Seeman
April 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
South FLA tough?
Try NYC!
The ONLY large block of clear frequencies is in the Class C range. That's why I bought that range. In fact if you set Sennheiser's Freq Finder to 70 miles (the TV Clear range I believe) NOTHING other than Class C freq show up!

Craig Seeman
April 22nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
EW G2 Usable Channels NYC Radius

Craig Seeman
April 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
I just spoke to Sennheiser tech regarding this issue. Those of us in major metro areas are really in a quandary about this.

The new G3 series will have significantly expanded frequency bandwidth. They'll have that info at the beginning of May. It may take them beyond that to update their Freq Finder but they'll have info by phone. The Freq availability change (as you probably already know starts in June). Apparently there's still some fuzzy areas about the time frame of implementation but the tech said there'd likely be a grace period through the end of the year.

He basically confirmed there's virtually nothing available in block A or B for NYC currently. I asked because I thought maybe I was misunderstanding the Freq Finder. Currently the scant few vacant areas are not in the G2 freq range.

He mentioned some significant improvements in the G3 itself which will improve the scanning and storing available frequencies. They'll have more details on that at the beginning of May but here's the basics.
Sennheiser Worldwide - ew 100-ENG G3 (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_evolution-wireless-g3_ew-100-g3_021118)

Summary
Tech suggests waiting until May or June and there will likely be channels available to the G3 as vacant, not possible with the G2. Yes you lose a couple of months on the rebate offer (lose $10/month) but it's really the only safe way to know what block to purchase for your area with G3.

TingSern Wong
April 23rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
I have a ew 100 G2 ... and just used it 2 weeks ago filming in the tropical mountains of Malaysia. Mt Ophir area (if you are interested to know). The talent was perched about 200m away near a river and I could pick everything with signal strength still at half maximum. Granted this was straight line without any electronic interference in the UHF band - so, just to let you know this thing works. Although specs says 150 feet (50m) - I was getting 4 times that range.

Boudewijn de Kemp
May 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM
Expecting my Sennheiser EW 122-p G3 this friday or saturday.
Will have a full week of testing it, before taking it out into the field.
Really curious about the ME 4 clip-on cardioide mic. Has anybody used it allready?

Craig Seeman
May 21st, 2009, 07:46 AM
Still no sign of it at B&H. As noted above it stinks because I can't take advantage of the rebate because there are no frequencies available in NYC for Sennheiser until G3 is available.

Boudewijn de Kemp
May 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
I got them from here:

http://www.bax-shop.nl/combinatie-draadloos/sennheiser-ew-112-p-g3-camera-microfoon/product-details.html

This is a legit shop in The Netherlands.
Will keep you guys infromed them when it comes in.

Bill Mecca
May 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
I was talking to a sound tech at an Atlantic City Casino last Friday and he indicated there was a class action suit, and because of that allthe manufacturers were to re-crystal the 700 band units free. I can't seem to find anything out about that, so maybe he was blowing smoke or ill-informed.

I have a G2 and am investigating with our purchasing department about what to do. With the current budget crisis (first unpaid furlough day is tomorrow) not sure if there is any $$ to purchase a new system, even with a rebate. Trying to get them to track down exactly when we purchased the system. I don't use it much but it did save my butt once at a high profile event. (first time I used it) short story, I ws all hardwired and taped down in the State House, great sound check etc. then just as the event starts, the sound craps out. turns out it was a faulty Whirlwind mult box. They had set up a second box on the other side of the room. but there was no way I could rip up the cables or lay new ones, lots of dignataries were seated. So I plugged in the receiver and pop the Xmitter on the other mult box and everything worked out. whew!

Oh and during breakdown I took a look at the faulty mult box, and on the side of it there was an old work label that said "DO NOT USE" so much for their press office being on the ball.

Ilya Spektor
May 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Still no sign of it at B&H. As noted above it stinks because I can't take advantage of the rebate because there are no frequencies available in NYC for Sennheiser until G3 is available.

Craig,
You can buy G3 ENG set from here (for only $634.99 USD - you have to call them first):
Sennheiser Wireless. Evolution G2, G3, 2000, 3000 & 5000 Series Wireless (http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/Wireless/sennheiser/senwireless.html?gclid=CPuxmpaT0JoCFQIWFQodcirt3A#G3)

I bought my G2 (C-range ENG set) from them - they gave me unbeatable price then also; it was before 2006, so it doesn't make any sense for me to go for the $40 rebate (lav mic alone costs more...)

Does anyone know, if C-range unit (illegal in US after June 12) can be sold abroad, where it still might be legal?..

Craig Seeman
May 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks for that Ilya. I believe NYC would need the G range. Sony has updated their charts yet but they told me as of May 1 they'd have the info needed.

BTW it looks to be $800 for Lav, Hand held base, receiver and Inventory Status shows Special Order (not In stock).

Craig,
You can buy G3 ENG set from here (for only $634.99 USD - you have to call them first):
Sennheiser Wireless. Evolution G2, G3, 2000, 3000 & 5000 Series Wireless (http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/Wireless/sennheiser/senwireless.html?gclid=CPuxmpaT0JoCFQIWFQodcirt3A#G3)

I bought my G2 (C-range ENG set) from them - they gave me unbeatable price then also; it was before 2006, so it doesn't make any sense for me to go for the $40 rebate (lav mic alone costs more...)

Does anyone know, if C-range unit (illegal in US after June 12) can be sold abroad, where it still might be legal?..

Brett Sherman
May 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Is anyone aware of plans for a phantom power plug-on transmitter for the G3 series? It seems like a huge oversight.

Andy Wilkinson
May 26th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I'm not aware if this is planned or not.

You could (I'm sure) use a G2 generation SKP500 which, as no doubt you know, looks exactly like the SKP100 but HAS the 48V switchable Phantom power option in the menu that the SKP100 does not.

I have one and it works really well (with my G2 systems)...well at least here in rural England it does!