View Full Version : Just purchased a dry head cleaner..

David Woodland
August 31st, 2003, 11:50 AM
Today I purchased a maxell (dry) head cleaner for $21.99 because thats the only one target had and I'm wondering...I've been using maxell tapes since I got the camera 3 months ago so it would be good to use this head cleaner right? I'm just trying to make sure I don't damage the heads on my gl2. The message "Clean The Heads" or whatever came up last night when my friend was filming some skating with the camera.
Ok, thats it. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I have used like 2 sony tapes before cause it was all I had at the time.

Jeff Donald
August 31st, 2003, 12:12 PM
Put the cleaning tape in and follow the instructions exactly as written. Do not deviate from the instructions. Failure to follow the instructions may cause serious damage to your camera.

John Heskett
August 31st, 2003, 09:59 PM
Using the Sony tapes after using only Maxell is probably why you got the "clean heads" message.

Do NOT mix your tapes or you risk clogging the heads. The tape head cleaner should fix/clean the problem.

Luke Gates
September 1st, 2003, 03:21 AM
the dry tape cleaner should say run it for FIVE seconds...don't go any longer than 5 seconds and stop it. A dry cleaner works like an abrasive rubbing on your cameras video heads so obviously it isn't too good for it. If it doesn't work the first time do it again for 5 seconds. If it still doesn't work take it in for servicing or buy a cleaning kit.

Jeff Donald
September 1st, 2003, 05:47 AM
The abrasiveness of the cleaning tape can vary from brand to brand. Five seconds may not be long enough for the brand tape purchased. Therefore, as I said in my first post, follow the directions included with each tape.